12 Posts

Summoner Wars: Master Set» Forums » General

Subject: Just bought, looking for any advice/missteps to avoid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just got my copy last night, and should be playing it a few times this weekend.

I'm wondering if there are any gotchas that people see happening a bunch with new players, and any other advice you may have.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't summon too many commons. Build Magic so you can summon your Champions. This is often an effective way to play and will also make those first plays shorter.

Rules wise, make sure your opponent know that it is ok to kill your own units. Also, that many factions have catch up events such as Magic Drain. It can be frustrating to be unaware then hit by those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though you may want to, don't use the attack value (large size number) as the summoning cost (small size number).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also a pretty new player, but feel like I've got a good handle on the game. Here are the strategy notes I give people when I teach the game:

*Always summon with a purpose. Just because you can summon a bunch of cheap commons, it doesn't mean you should. Each unit you bring out should have a definite goal of what to accomplish the turn it comes out. If you don't have a plan for it either save it or build it as magic, because placing a unit you don't have a use for not only depletes your magic pile it will also, more than likely, make your opponent stronger.

*Study your event cards. If your hand is clogged with events you can't cast consider building some as magic. That super cool event you can't guarantee you'll be able to cast in the next few turns might be better served as magic to bring out a champion.

*Don't underestimate your commons. In the right situations they are game changers. The trick is recognizing the situations and capitalizing on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branam
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After trying (collecting) a bunch of sleeves that don't work, I've resorted to getting purple Fantasy Flight sleeves and manually trimming the length with a sliding paper trimmer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Demon wrote:
After trying (collecting) a bunch of sleeves that don't work, I've resorted to getting purple Fantasy Flight sleeves and manually trimming the length with a sliding paper trimmer.

I use Mayday's Chimera (orange) sleeves. They work perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to avoid summoning unless you will attack with that unit on that turn. If you summon but don't attack, your opponent can get the first hit in and weaken or eliminate the unit.

There are exceptions, but this is a good guideline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch how quickly you and your opponent are going through your respective Draw Piles. Being stuck with no cards to draw while your opponent still has some can be rough.

Bear in mind, this is sometimes unavoidable and will get easier with practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delton P.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I just received my copy and was going to try it with my 13yo tonight. We went and watched a few youtube videos on gameplay to see if it was something she'd be interested in, and bought it.

Some good tips here, maybe I'll even share them with her (after I win a few rounds, of course )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter loves this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
At the start of your turn you only draw cards to take you up to having 5 in your hand. No more no less. Due to certain abilities/gamestates it's possible to have more than 5 cards in your hand.

(Example you have 2 cards in hand so you draw 3. You have 0 cards in hand so you draw 5. You have 9 cards in hand so you draw 0.)

A couple of times I've heard of folk thinking they simply draw 5 cards every turn!, regardless of how many they have in their hand. This pretty instantly destroys the game. yuk

----

Going through the card abilities so both players understand and agree on their meaning can be worth doing. (Generally each deck has 10 unique abilities/events)

----

There are two tiers of 'complexity' with the decks.

Basically:

Mountain Vargath, Shadow Elves, Sand Goblins are generally perceived as less complicated to play with than Swamp Orcs, Deep Dwarves and Benders. What's easier to win with is debatable but I'd recommend starting with the first three factions before going on to the other three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.