United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to get this game and I have a wonder about gameplay. I gleaned from a review that it may be in the Consul's best interest to focus on heroes one at a time to more easily kill them all off. Is this true or common? If so, I think it will be much harder to bring this to the table since people will freak out when they die. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B.
United States
Cherry
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new expansion brings co-op play to the table. Everyone plays Heroes vs. an A.I. consul if you don't want to play the classic mode.

But ya, the only real way for the Consul to win is to focus 1 Hero. It's not I pick you to focus, it's Hero A overextended and is the vulnerable one.

Usually a Hero doesn't die till towards the end of the game. And once a Hero falls the game usually wraps up pretty quickly anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bennett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'd argue this game is best as a two player. One controlling the monsters the other controlling all the heroes. We've been playing this game a year and it takes the 2 of us no less than 4 hours to play a 5 Hero game (Which is the longest game)

The Kickstarter set however, that comes out in December has full Co-Op and a way for characters to earn back their place if they die. But, yes this game is gonna make people mad in it's current form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane York
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In most games I have played, once that first hero dies, it snow balls extremely quickly and the Consul can close the game out fast. I've never seen anyone dead for more then 20 minutes with a group who all knew how to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bennett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
darkmagi wrote:

Usually a Hero doesn't die till towards the end of the game. And once a Hero falls the game usually wraps up pretty quickly anyways.

This is also true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
joeyman3 wrote:
I'm looking to get this game and I have a wonder about gameplay. I gleaned from a review that it may be in the Consul's best interest to focus on heroes one at a time to more easily kill them all off. Is this true or common? If so, I think it will be much harder to bring this to the table since people will freak out when they die. Any thoughts?

It's certainly what I do when I play. But you could also use a variant where the whole group of players get a number of "deaths" before they lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chums. That bit about usually wrapping up quickly after one death mixed with the upcoming cooperative expansion might have just sealed the deal on this one. Happy Birthday to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also do a variant where the group as a whole has one "continue". So, the first Hero who dies will get to respawn, but after that, Hero death is permanent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a variant where if a hero dies, he comes back (without gear). However, once X heroes die, the consul player wins.

I think the consul player starts a little stronger... can't find the link though.

We tried it once, and it seemed to work OK. The heroes lost badly, but nobody was eliminated (and they did have really bad dice rolls)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the sentiments about playing two players. Two player and three heroes is my favourite way of playing. With regards to consul targetting particular heroes that is certainly the best way to play. If you try to make your attacks go around the heroes will easily heal back up so you have to concentrate your aggression. Typically you will focus on particular characters rather than players though with healers being the ones you need to target first. Rotating who plays consul and heroes does help get around this frustration though. There are also resurrection charms (I think two of the top of my head) as treasure/loot in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks folks. Maybe I'll end up playing this mostly with my wife who is an excellent sport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another question. I noticed in a thread that someone mentioned that this game was heavy on scantily clad female figures. Is that true? Not a positive for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ehhh... I guess you could call some of the heroes scantily clad... but since they're all chibi-fied, I don't think it's really a problem.

Judge for yourself:

That's about the most risqué stuff I could find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you my friend! I don't see this to be particularly offensive. Nothing like little bodies and big heads to impede immodesty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Neill
United States
Jacksonille
NC
flag msg tools
Jestor wrote:
In most games I have played, once that first hero dies, it snow balls extremely quickly and the Consul can close the game out fast. I've never seen anyone dead for more then 20 minutes with a group who all knew how to play the game.

Last Saturday our group played 2 games. In the first one 2 heroes died, but the remaining three were able to topple the boss (Roxor) with some careful strategy. In the second game, one hero died and many others came close to dying, but they were still able to topple Von Drakk with careful planning.

Also, I'd like to add that Von Drakk/Nocturne is a beast if you play him the right way. I've seen a couple of Consuls play him once then write him off because he died kinda easily. However if you are a strategist and a critical thinker you can make life difficult for the heroes with a little planning. (FYSA, I definitely prefer Heroes over Consul, but I'll almost always play Von Drakk and Skeletons when I am forced to play Consul. Maybe it's the Castlevania geek in me o.O )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer skin and short clothes than blood and gore. Maybe it's cultural...

but the figures are very much anime than anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not much into gore either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
How uncouth! That bear is wearing nothing but a chain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.