Subject: High PS TIE Medley rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Wilkins
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Curious what others think of this list. I'm itching to try it out next time I stop down at FFG Event Center.

Howlrunner (20)
Swarm Tactics

Mauler Mithel (19)
Swarm Tactics

Kir Kanos (24)

Alpha Squadron TIE Int (18)

Alpha Squadron TIE Int (18)

99 points

The strategy would be to have one clustered group that focuses fire on single targets to wipe them out on the pass. Similar to how a traditional TIE Swarm or Bomber list would work, but leveraging a high Pilot Skill (6, 7, 7, 8, 8) and some nice fire power. I've yet to try using Howlrunner with Alpha Squadron Interceptors as a kind of firing squad. Wondering how effective it could be.

I'd position the two Alphas up front, keep Howl off to one side with Kir Kanos and have Mauler on the other side so they'd both be in position to lend their PS to the Alphas in a loose formation.

Alphas and Mauler will keep Focused, while Howlrunner and Kir Kanos keep evade tokens.

I think this could list could actually be decent after the first pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good, could certainly take down a ship or two on the first pass before taking any return fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't the TIEs have a hard time keeping up with the squints?

Would it be hard to keep them together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Would it be hard to keep them together?

I've flown Howlrunner with 4 Interceptors to mixed results. Low PS Interceptors don't Boost often anyway, since they don't know where their opponents are. Usually best to stay in formation and Focus. Once Howlrunner bites the dust, the Interceptors can break up and fly more opportunistically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Well, no, not if you want to keep them together. There's nothing TIEs can do that Interceptors can't (except a 4-K).

The real problem with it is that if you don't beat the curve on attack versus defense, you stand to lose more in return fire than you dish out with your high-PS fire.

In the engagement round, your targets will have tokens to spend if they need them. You might not. You may be shooting at 3 HP worth of 2-dice guns ... they will be shooting at 3 HP worth of 3-dice guns. You may be shooting at an 8 HP fighters, where if your opponent rolls a couple of evades, and you roll only average, your target survives to fire back ... they will be shooting at 3 HP worth of 3-dice guns.

Interceptors that can't rely on mobility are very fragile in play, and this squadron is basically saying, "Yeah, I'm giving up my mobility by tethering my Interceptors to Howlrunner and Mauler."

I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun, but I don't think you'll see strong consistent results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your idea.

No one seems to be using swarm tactics anymore. I was toying with a rebel 4 ship swarm tactics build myself but so far haven't thought of any inspiring combos.

Really, it will all come down to your piloting skills. Personally, I would fly your list with howl, mithel and the two alphas in a 4 box formation while flanking with Kir. Expect to be drawn through asteroids as you will deploy your alphas first.

Against standard 4 rebel jousting builds you should be able to take out a ship no problem on the first pass. Against lists that can flank well, or crafty opponents that deny you a straight up joust, you might have some trouble.

Kir is only good when out of arc AND at range 2-3. That is not always easy to do. For 1 extra point Kir becomes a PTL Royal Guard. Kir is the price of 2 academy pilots. If he spends his token on offense and is shot at, he can die like one too. But he might be fun to run, especially if you use him cautiously.

I say try it out as is. You'll only see how well your "alpha-alpha strike" works after flying it a couple times. You can tweak it after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Wilkins
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
Kir is only good when out of arc AND at range 2-3. That is not always easy to do. For 1 extra point Kir becomes a PTL Royal Guard.

This is a really good point and will make using Kir Kanos tough to justify. A PTL Royal Guard has the same pilot skill and would give the list a nice flanking ship with more flexibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
post_apocalypse wrote:
R2EQ wrote:
Kir is only good when out of arc AND at range 2-3. That is not always easy to do. For 1 extra point Kir becomes a PTL Royal Guard.

This is a really good point and will make using Kir Kanos tough to justify. A PTL Royal Guard has the same pilot skill and would give the list a nice flanking ship with more flexibility.

This isn't quite true. Kir is also great facing higher PS ships that either chose not to fire at him or did fire but failed to make him spend his Evade. And even if people do prioritize him to force him to spend that token, those are shots that weren't fired at your other, presumably more powerful or more expensive ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another high PS mini-swarm I thought of today on my way to work-

One Wing Angel(Devil)
Turr+PtL+Targeting Computer
Howlrunner+PtL+Stealth
Black Squad+VI
Black Squad+VI
Black Squad+VI

Because 666 with a flanking wing?
Not great damage possibility, but I thought the theme was pretty cool. Would probably fall apart against Han or a 7 TIE swarm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.