Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some time ago some gamer friends were talking about good games suitable to play during lunch. Out of the blue somebody popped up Spot it! and we were delighted. It's a simple game that allows for an elastic number of players, even changing during rounds (so if someone is paying attention to a conversation can stop playing for some rounds), there are different versions of the game presented in the box and you can also come up with new ones, it does not require much space on the table and the game plays fast. And you get lots of laughter playing it.

The concept of the game is quite simple: there is a single deck of circular cards and each of them has eight icons drawn, things like a tree, a candle, a skull, a key, etc. These eight icons are taken from a superset of icons and can have different size and orientation, though the color is always the same for each icon. The icons are selected in a way that any two given cards from the deck will share one and only one icon between the two cards. The game consists in, given two cards, find which is the shared icon. It's easy as that.

The Spot it! rules provide several games that can be played with this deck of cards. For example, in a game all players start with the same number of cards and they must match the top card of their deck with a card in the center of the table. The first player to find the matching icon puts his card over the card in the table and the game continues. The first player out of cards wins. That easy. And addictive. Other possible games involve passing cards to other players or taking cards from a common deck, but always with the mechanism of finding the matching icon.

Maybe explained like this the game may sound repetitive, but somehow finding the matching icon is so difficult and at the same time seems so easy that the players get frustrated (in the good sense) with the game and want to play it again and again. Many people shout and scream for despair of not finding the matching icon, and when one of the cards is replaced by another player before you had time to match it, the sensation of frustration pushes the player to play it more. Or less, as I've seen some people pass from playing after a couple of rounds, too much nervous to keep playing. Yes, true.

Spot it! works perfectly as a party game but also as a children's game because the game itself can be played by kids. If there is a difference in age between the players the best fit players can give some handicap to the less fit. And not always the adults are the fastest in finding the matching icons! And if you are in the situation that I pictured above, looking for a simple game to play during lunch, Spot it! fits the spot perfectly. Just try not to laugh with your mouth full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The icons are selected in a way that any two given cards from the deck will share one and only one icon between the two cards

Tried to do some work on pencil and paper once to figure out the math behind it. It's actually pretty cool how it had to work, although I'm not 100% sure I figured it out correctly and I've since lost the paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
Quote:
The icons are selected in a way that any two given cards from the deck will share one and only one icon between the two cards

Tried to do some work on pencil and paper once to figure out the math behind it. It's actually pretty cool how it had to work, although I'm not 100% sure I figured it out correctly and I've since lost the paper.

Seems a little complex. Maybe someone else has figured it out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a quality game at the right time, with the right people. A diamond in the rough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.