Subject: First scenario in rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the first scenario of the rulebook, it states something similar to, "Draw one green treasure card, every character only starts with one starting item".

I think that is all pretty self explanatory, however, here is where the rule makes us stuck:

The archer:

Without a bow, he can't shoot arrows.

Without a quiver, he can't load arrows.

He only gets to choose one....so how the heck do you covercome this?

We chose to allow the archer to keep his quiver since it didn't provide any bonus dice and then kept playing...but the rules, as written, are broken for the archer (unless you assume he can shoot arrows without a bow).

Thanks for your help on this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been covered elsewhere, but it's meant to be a tough choice. First off, you don't have to choose a Brown Item for your own class. This means anyone can choose the bow or quiver and trade it to the Archer. What I've heard people do is everyone draws a green item and then sees what they get. If this means someone needs to sacrifice their Brown Item to make the Archer viable, then that's what they have to do. I think it's interesting and from what I gather about the quest is within how the story plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Nabbit
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust that you are beautiful.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we played it was, as a group, you get X random green items and X chosen brown items to divide among the group, where X is the number of heroes. First, you draw the green items and decide who gets them. Then you fill in any missing required items with brown items, and then take whatever you want from the brown deck afterward if you have left over brown card draws.

So, if you drew the green cards and none of them were bows or quivers, then the archer would get two of the brown starting items (the bow and the quiver). That could mean another player gets two green items and no brown items, but it could also mean that another player starts with just one item.

When we did it, we happened to get lucky and draw the green quiver, the green chalice (relic), a cloak that made cautious move easier, and a ring that increased the range of arcane or faith abilities. So, the archer took the quiver, the acolyte took the relic, the brigand took the cloak, and the apprentice took the ring. Then, the archer took the starting bow, the acolyte took the starting club, the brigand took the starting dagger, and the apprentice took the starting focus. Everyone had what they needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That makes sense. Thanks guys, for the helpful responses (and quick responses).

So we either sacrifice two browns to the archer (or just tell that player to pick another class! Muhaha).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Seale
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree that its a tough choice that has to be made, after all you were drugged and tossed in a Crawler pit and forced to search dead bodies for whatever you can find. I had to play the entire first Act without a weapon for my Acolyte, rendering all Smite cards worthless. But that was a simple choice over not being able to cast spells without a prayer book...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drea Paulsen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyren wrote:
So, if you drew the green cards and none of them were bows or quivers, then the archer would get two of the brown starting items (the bow and the quiver). That could mean another player gets two green items and no brown items, but it could also mean that another player starts with just one item.

Your welcome to house rule that in if you like but that is not how the creators of the game intended it. Yes its a pain if the ranger does not get there bow or quiver but its intended to be that way. The ranger can still use some of there skills with out it there not completely weak and its a Co-Op game. if your archer is in trouble its your job to keep them safe until you find the right loot for them

Edit: i could not find the post from Brian but i did grab what he posted from the unofficial FAQ section that has the same quote
Quote:

Actually, this issue was intended.

The Archer can use other weapons. It is part of his directional choice. However, as a Novice Hero many of his abilities won't be usable (anything Requiring Ammo).

Specifically, he can use To the Knee, Find Weakness, Tumble, Circumvent and Pincushion with any melee weapon (as well as his dodge interrupts, and move cards). He is certainly weaker this way, but is not left without the ability to act. (Official Megacon Games Response)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the two threads on this topic, and the 2nd thread includes the post from Brian:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1141610/no-rest-for-the-wear...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1102336/question-about-setup...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.