Subject: Sell me on Dice Masters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Silvestri
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm at that point where my pre-order is on the verge of getting cancelled-- what's the sell on this game? How widely spread will it be played? Is this shaping up to be a fad, or an actual long-lasting game? I'm just unsure of it and won't have anyone to play with for a bit (to test a pnp version), but I'm worried if I cancel my preorder and end up liking the game it'll be a bitch to find (since the rumors of the initial print run already being sold out).

So I turn to you guys for help-- sell me on the game or off it, one way or another, I'm hoping you'll be able to help me reach a decision

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought is that if you are on the fence, don't pre-order.

If you do not have the game on day 1, it's no loss. You can then read reviews, play it at a flgs, etc and make up your mind.

My wife and I love Legendary, and a superhero dicebuilder sounds awesome.

Quarriors + MTG + Marvel?

I do not ever plan on doing tournament play, but a light dicey superhero game sounds like a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Marquez
United States
Port Angeles
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would giving you links to reviews help? I can post links to the Dice Tower review and Watch it Played instructional video and play-through video.
Also if you are comic book fan (Marvel or DC or any other publisher) this game will appeal to you and if ends up not taking off then it would be ok because you will have a game that you enjoy. I'm sure this game is going to do really well, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Yogi Berra logic for you:
"Nobody buys Marvel Dice Masters anymore, it's always sold out."

Take a peek around the threads - looks to me like this will be a big hit. WizKids already has plans for a second starter and entirely new set of boosters focusing on the Uncanny X-Men. DC and Yu-Gi-Oh! will follow. CHEAP OP kits, $5 cost for the FLGS. WK hopes to get this product into mass market, increasing exposure and sales.

Cheap to get into with $15 starters and $0.99 boosters. Hard to go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe (therefore, this is just my opinion...) that this game is going to sell well. That suggests there will be print runs after the first, if the first sells out quickly. If it doesn't sell out quickly, you'll have time to pick one up after trying it.

I concur with The Shader. You can afford to wait on this one, if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it will be a fad although it depends on how you define a fad. It appears to be well designed enough and carries a pretty decent IP. Additionally, it is supported by people who are well respected within the community what often helps.

Will it be another MTG? Probably not. But, a lot has been learned over the past couple of years and I think it can be as big and widely played as Netrunner.

I cannot answer for you but I would tend not to cancel the pre-order. If it for some reason doesn't turn out to work for you, you can trade it away or let it join the other numerous games that you have and spent money on that don't get played (I have plenty of those).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Silvestri
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, guys-- think I'll wait and see 'til I get the chance to actually play it, y'all are right about more print runs; I'm sure there's another one in the works already!

Thanks for the quick replies. Have a good one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carrion wrote:
I believe (therefore, this is just my opinion...) that this game is going to sell well. That suggests there will be print runs after the first, if the first sells out quickly.

WK has announced that the first run has already sold out at and that a second printing is already underway - and the game doesn't even hit streets for over a month...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryzen13 wrote:
Sell me on Dice Masters

Sorry can't help ya, there is only so much to go around.......let me get back to you after the stores stock up again.

But to better answer your question for yourself, do you know if there will be events locally for you to attend? Do your friends who you'd most likely be interested to play the game with show interest in it?

It seems like it's off to a good start, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so glad I went ahead and put in my preorder for two starters and two boosters. Marvel may not be my favorite however there are characters I really enjoy and will be more than happy to see them in dice form.

As for sell you on Dice Masters? Dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're on the fence, pick up a starter but wait on boosters. The low cost of entry makes it easy to try.

As for it being a fad, I doubt it'll be around five years from now, but I think this is going to be big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a really good full game online that shows you all the decisions being made. It was a father vs his son and they both presented the tactics/combat/game phases in a fun light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Internutt wrote:
There's a really good full game online that shows you all the decisions being made. It was a father vs his son and they both presented the tactics/combat/game phases in a fun light.

I assume you're talking about Rodney and Luke Smith from Watch it Played. He does great videos. And his series on Dice Masters is what finally sold me on the idea.

boardgamegeek.com/video/42251/marvel-dice-masters-avengers-v...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Hue
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He already sold me on Summoner Wars (with the help of one Tom V.) and it became one of my favourite games (see my owned games list ), so how can he (and Tom) be wrong with this game?
Plus I love dice (King of Tokyo ftw!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Mészáros
Hungary
Budaörs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Honestly speaking, I would cancel the preorder.

In my experience, if you are not sure about a game purchase, then you should skip it, or at least wait until you are able to try it somehow.

Previews and videos are all fine, but if you don't feel that you felt in love with the game, then wait.

Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Cain_hu wrote:
Hi,

Honestly speaking, I would cancel the preorder.

In my experience, if you are not sure about a game purchase, then you should skip it, or at least wait until you are able to try it somehow.

Previews and videos are all fine, but if you don't feel that you felt in love with the game, then wait.

Just my 2 cents.

As someone who has WAY too many games, many of which are unplayed, I support this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Robles
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering buying this game, but the two drawbacks are:

1. It's a collectible game which I don't like and,
2. I'm still recovering from being burned with all those Dragon Dice I bought back in 1995.

It being cheap might be it's only saving grace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.