Subject: Someone explain to me the appeal of Wil Wheaton rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_Celebrities [+] [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Because to me he's always going to be that dorky irritating kid that Picard yelled at because there are no children allowed on the bridge.

I understand he has parlayed that fame into being what is basically a professional geek (and the reoccurring Big Bang Theory role,) but I still don't like anything he does. Am I missing something? I mean, you can buy a $20 miniature plushie of the dude, so he has to have a decent fanbase somewhere, maybe you are one of them and can enlighten me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never saw Star Trek TNG. Not more than five minutes of it at a time, anyway.
So Wil doesn't have any previous connotations with me. He's just a BGGer who is more famous than I'll ever be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
He developed a cult of personality. It happens all the time, and I'd certainly like it to happen more with people like Wil Wheaton than people like Kim Kardashian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Felicia Day is a similar creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
He developed a cult of personality. It happens all the time, and I'd certainly like it to happen more with people like Wil Wheaton than people like Kim Kardashian.
It's a "Hey, didn't he do that one thing?, Well he seems kinda cool." I agree I'd rather there were a hundred Wil Wheatons running around over any one of the "Wow, she gets really drunk and wears tight clothes... let's buy a magazine with her on the cover" celebrities we have now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
He was an extremely talented child actor. His work in Stand By Me is excellent and that was just one of several movies that he was critically acclaimed for. The "Wesley Saves the Universe" shows came about because the TNG executives (including Roddenbury) thought that it would bring the show teeny-bopper appeal. It wasn't Wheaton's fault that the character was so annoying--to quote Jessica Rabbit, it's because it was written that way.

Anyway, that's all in the past, but I find him to be a very appealing person today. Just seems like he'd be a cool person to pal around with. The Tabletop shows are more entertaining than they have any right to be (really, filming people playing a game?) and much of that comes from the fun way Wheaton and his buddies interact. And anything that brings attention to gaming is fine by me. So I have no trouble understanding his appeal. It isn't anything like the Kardashians, because Wheaton is actually talented and doesn't pull stunts just to get attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly just enjoy it when he is on the Penny Arcade D&D shows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's articulate.
He's funny.
He's self depreciating, in a culture of relentless self promoters.
He likes board games, and is really into exposing others to them.

In other words, he seems like a nice guy. Someone I'd be happy to have in my game group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
He seems like a decent dude and is interested in things I am interested in. I don't adore him or anything. He just seems like a decent guy.

Lots of ladies I've encountered who are fans, think he is cute and such, thus probably the Wheaton plushie came about from that (I know my wife wanted one).

He's showing off our hobby so I don't know why anyone here can have animosity towards that, besides a game selling out then being price gouged. There's always that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lucid
United States
Mountain House
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on, he's not bad and he promotes the hobby. I watch his table top series, the game play segments are really good and I drool over his geek chick table.

Lot's of worse folks than him out there. He's enthusiastic about games, he's a good father, he was in Stand by Me which was an excellent film and role for him. He was in Star Trek as an annoying git but then so were the rest of those fruity heads. The only good Star Treks were TOS and Enterprise. Voyager was OK.

Don't bash poor Wil, he contributes mightily and he's a fellow BGG supporting our hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
zaphod b wrote:
Come on, he's not bad and he promotes the hobby. I watch his table top series, the game play segments are really good and I drool over his geek chick table.

Lot's of worse folks than him out there. He's enthusiastic about games, he's a good father, he was in Stand by Me which was an excellent film and role for him. He was in Star Trek as an annoying git but then so were the rest of those fruity heads. The only good Star Treks were TOS and Enterprise. Voyager was OK.

Don't bash poor Wil, he contributes mightily and he's a fellow BGG supporting our hobby.

I find it interesting, and funny, you didn't even mention DS9!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
He's also an avid home brewer/beer geek.

I'm not a huge fan but I have a bunch of respect for what he's done. Plus, he seems to be a pretty cool dad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
Yeah, but I'd trade either of those religious movements for a cult of personality around VERKISTO!

You and me both, brother! I just wish I knew how to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Yeah, but I'd trade either of those religious movements for a cult of personality around VERKISTO!

You have one, it's just very, very small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Will and I have the same taste in art. This past weekend was Comic Con Kansas City and Will Wheaton was one of the many guests. Nice gentleman. There were a friggin ton of artists and I ended up buying a bunch of art for our new house. One artist was Bryan Fyffe. My wife and I bought two pieces from him for the bedroom (next on the decorating parade). I wanted a nice framed piece that was Fyffe's take on Poe's The Raven. My wife (who gets to do the bedroom decorating as I got to do several other rooms) instead picked out a steam punk balloon and a haunted house.

We get home and later that night I check out Fyffe's website and Twitter. Turns out Will Wheaton a short while after my wife and myself were there purchased two pieces from Bryan Fyffe as well. Specifically my Raven!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto on various things:
• Nice guy (a rare breed in ego fed Hollywoodland)
• true gamer who promotes games
• better homebrewer than I'll ever be
• I tend to agree with his various rants and opinions
• Embraces his nerd/geek, rather than wishing for and end to celebrating it…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Verkisto wrote:
See, this weasels out of the question. We can always say, "Well, _____ is better than Hitler, so he's got that going for him..." But that doesn't really answer the question of what is so appealing about him.

And if his greatest asset is being "not Kim Kardashian" then it puzzles me even more how this "cult of personality" grew up around him. Okay, he is "nice," that's super. I know plenty of "nice" people without podcasts and plushies.

(To be clear, I don't hate the guy. Just mystified at why so many geeks slobber over the dude.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

(To be clear, I don't hate the guy. Just mystified at why so many geeks slobber over the dude.)

I have no idea. Why do BGG'ers drool over Tom Vasel??

I mean, they both have really bad taste in games! What is going on!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

Rah rah rah!

I mean "Woot Woot!" I think.

I have my own movement every afternoon about a half hour after lunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
I think everyone else has touched on what makes him appealing. In addition, he gives his time to fans, so not only is he the kind of guy who folks would like to hang out with, but he also is the kind of guy folks like to hang out with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
See, this weasels out of the question. We can always say, "Well, _____ is better than Hitler, so he's got that going for him..." But that doesn't really answer the question of what is so appealing about him.

And if his greatest asset is being "not Kim Kardashian" then it puzzles me even more how this "cult of personality" grew up around him. Okay, he is "nice," that's super. I know plenty of "nice" people without podcasts and plushies.

Probably because he's a geek who is reasonably famous who is all about what and why he is one. His image of fame is all about that. How many celebrities are that up front about their hobbies and passions and are considerable successes at promoting them? Because they promote them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently read a blog post of his, in which he spoke of his struggles with depression. It was a very honest and open narrative. I appreciate public personalities who are willing to share that they're not 'perfect' or 'beautiful,' but flawed as is everyone. This sort of sharing can only do good in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MWChapel wrote:
I have no idea. Why do BGG'ers drool over Tom Vasel??
OMG I don't know!
That's my next question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
When I met MisterCranky he exclaimed "Oh, yet another guy who looks like Wil Wheaton."

I am not making this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I can haz Kool-Aid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.