Todd Adair
United States
Fayston
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you guys think will be:

1) The Better Game (mechanics, etc.)
2) More Popular (i.e. will I go to a game store and see someone playing)
3) More Affordable (expansions, etc.)
4) Play Length / Table Hits
5) Kids / wife entry

Marvel Dice Master: Avengers vs X-Men

or

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

Just wanted to here some pros and cons of each.
I have neither currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
southj95 wrote:

5) Kids / wife entry

or

1) Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

2) Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

3) Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

4) Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men

5) Meh...maybe a toss up (although for me, personally, the wife dislikes card games, the dice will win out here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
southj95 wrote:

5) Kids / wife entry

or

To be honest I think they appeal to different audiences. There has been a lot of griping about the collectible aspect of MDM, and Legendary being a big box game doesn't suffer from that.

The cheap entry cost for MDM will appeal to many, and from what I understand OP kits will only cost FLGS about $5 each! So I expect to see a lot of OP events for MDM. I think MDM will sell more units and I think you wil see it played frequently in shops. Personally I have never seen anyone playing Legendary in my FLGS, but I have played it myself and enjoy it very much.

Both Marvel, yes, but different appeals. I, for one, am jumping onto this Dice Masters system and still haven't (probably won't ever) buy Legendary. When Legendary Encounters comes out, on the other hand... I'll be all over that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary £47 or Dice Masters £13, no contest for me really. I like the look of Legendary but it's just far to much money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I hope the gameplay is better than legendary, which pretty much plays itself. But this doesn't look much deeper honestly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
southj95 wrote:

5) Kids / wife entry

or

1) Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

2) Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

3) Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

4) Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men

5) Meh...maybe a toss up (although for me, personally, the wife dislikes card games, the dice will win out here)

I would definitely argue Dicemasters for 2). With a solid looking OP program in the works and the whole Magic-like CCG appeal, this looks very likely to attract a regular game shop following.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakusotsu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I've played Legendary, but I haven't played Dice Masters. I feel Legendary will have a tad more depth than MDM. They are both variations of Dominion. Per game there will be similar card variety in terms of buyable heroes, but there will be way more tactical/strategic decisions to make in a game of Legendary as compared to MDM.

2) Legendary is a game to be played at home. Its noncompetitive/co-op nature makes it a game to be played casually with friends. MDM can also be played at home obviously, but is also a competitive game with organized play support. You will likely see it at the store and probably can find new opponents at least once a month during the tournaments.

3) Legendary is a beast of a game. $50 for the base set. After you potentially get bored of the base game (which would admittedly take a while due to lots of characters/scenarios), additional expansions are at least $30+.

MDM is $10 buy-in + either $0.80-$0.99 per booster (2 chars), or a $40 booster box. It will be much cheaper than Legendary for the variety you'll be getting, especially for how few characters you'll be fielding each game.

4) 20 minutes MDM vs. 1 hr.+ for Legendary depending on # players.

5) Someone else already experimented playing MDM w/ his 5 yr old with some success. Legendary is gonna have way more text to read and aforementioned deeper mechanics. Might be harder for non-boardgamers and young kids to grasp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakusotsu wrote:
there will be way more tactical/strategic decisions to make in a game of Legendary as compared to MDM.

completely disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Silva
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: Marvel Dice Master.

MDM plays like Quarriors with some significant differences, but I really like the changes. Legendary seems like Ascension with some added mechanics. I like Legendary, but I enjoy Quarriors so much more.
I rarely see Legendary played at my FLGS, and I see Quarriors hit the tables more often. I believe MDM will be more popular. The initial price for the starter pack will mean that more ppl will be able to afford it. Quarriors & Legendary are expensive in comparison. Also, unless you are a completionist or want to play very competitivly, MDM will definitely be cheaper.
MDM plays faster than Legendary, and the set up is shorter as well. Moreover, you will probably play MDM three times as much or more per gaming session than you would Legenedary.
The light rules makes MDM very family friendly, and unless your family has played some form of deck builder, Legendary will take a lot more explaining (I can see my wife's eyes glazing over already). However, Legendary is a co-op for 2 to 4/5 players (can't remember the max number). MDM is a head-to-head 2 player battle. That aspect will depend on you and your family. Should they be up for that, you may be able to take them to game night tourneys at your FLGS. The prizes will be alt art cards. No tourneys for Legendary.
Overall, Marvel Dice Masters will be the better buy in accordance to your criteria. Have fun!!

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice Masters will probably have more characters to play as in the first wave than Legendary has concocted with a core set, deluxe expansion and two small expansions, which so far have failed to provide us with a Dr. Strange, Beast, or Black Panther.

If you are going for the theme, there might be more of a faithful representation of the superhero's ability, since you have 6 dice faces and text on cards (more than one) versus 4 cards in Legendary, which seems to be more prompt to character injustice a la core set Spider-Man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Legendary and have to say that I am a bit disappointed in it. We find ourselves playing the DC Deck Building Game over Legendary so you can see where I am going here. As a matter of fact I am big FF fan and purchased the FF expansion...in which we have yet to play to this day. Sorry, we found Legendary to be all but that of its name sake.

One thing I did see and really am happy about is that in Marvel Dice Masters we are getting the old school versions of the Hereos and villains we know and love. Sorry Samuel L Jackson but you are not nor ever will be Nick Furry in the eyes of old school Marvel fans.

My pick is Marvel Dice Masters on all accounts however take it with a grain of salt because Legendary gets no play time. Sad really, I wanted to like it so much and had high hopes my friends would like it and want to play. Worse yet is that I can not find myself willing to trade it nor the playmat or promo card I picked up at Gen Con 2013...LOL...I still have hope...no matter how slim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's odd...Legendary should be a popular trade item...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Bishop
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played or owned any of the following;

Legendary, Quarriors, Magic, or any kinda of collectable game. Nor have I ever played any card game or dice game. But this game looks great just from all the videos I've seen and articles.

I did look at Legendary awhile ago but I didn't bite. I hope I made a good choice, but I already think I did. MDM!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
That's odd...Legendary should be a popular trade item...

One would think. Along with the playmat and promo from Gen Con 2013 and I have had no offers. Legendary seems to be not so much or every other person owns a copy...LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
southj95 wrote:

5) Kids / wife entry

or

1. Draw
2. Legendary
3. Dice Masters
4. Dice Masters
5. Draw

I think these two games will co-exist just fine. Dice Masters appears it will appeal more to the Magic/Yugioh set. And Legendary with the Dominion set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I don't think you can pick one here as they are different. You can compare Legendary vs DC Deckbuilding (no contest there) because they are a similar mechanic, but not Legendary and MDM.

2. I'll be shocked if MDM organized play doesn't become a big thing at most FLGSs.

3. MDM is more affordable if you don't feel the need to have everything.

4. MDM is quick. Zero setup time and fast gameplay make this a game that will hit the table a lot.

5. If I'm being stereotypical, MDM wins here easily. That won't apply to everyone (my girlfriend hates all dice games) but the rules of MDM are so quick to pick up that I think it will really appeal to more casual gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MDM definitely wins on on cost. Base set is waaaaaay cheaper. Also, you can scale the amount you want buy very easily in $1 increments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
southj95 wrote:

5) Kids / wife entry

I am a huge comic book fan and have played the deck builder and watched multiple videos on the dice game. I owned and sold Legendary because it was just too much of a hassle to constantly separate all the cards and get everything set up for a game. And frankly the gameplay is a bit drab - you just wait for your turn and buy the best card available.

1) Dice
2) Dice Masters is not out yet
3) Dice ($1/booster, $20 starter)
4) Dice (20 minutes)
5) Dice for sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Adair
United States
Fayston
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
southj95 wrote:

5) Kids / wife entry

or

Thanks for all the opinions. Some great and classy points here!

I think for me:
1) I think I'll like MDM better... it seems to have a more MTG/dominion feel where as Legendary is more dominion/co-op.
I like the head2head nature better than co-op.
Plus there seems to be many more combos and mechanics with all the Characters.
I also do think that at points the choices in Legendary seem like they could be a bit to straight forward.

2) I do as someone said think this will appear lots in FLGS for tournaments and what not. I think you'll readily see it or be able to get a game.

3) I agree with unless you're a completist that MDM would overall be cheaper. I kind of feel with Legendary the way I feel with Dominion. When I buy expansion does it kind of limit my use of the previous ones. I think that it might be even higher in Legendary that Dominion. However, I think that MDM will compound with future releases more like MTG does. Providing more combos, mechanics, etc.

4) Well this I think MDM will rule in my world. I can bring to work for lunch games. I assume you can get 3 to 4 games in in hour. Plus the competitive nature of it will cause more plays.

5) For me I know my wife would prefer to play a game where she could kick my ***. She hates the co-op games with a passion. She as someone said will also glaze over upon rule reading and setup with Legendary. I'm much more likely to get her to play a few 20 minute games then get a 45 minute plus game out after the kids go to sleep.

The kids can probably better understand MDM too. Albeit my son does like the co-ops and would rapidly understand Legendary. But I think that fact that the MDM game is over in under a half hour at most is likely the key here.
Plus my kids will like a few other things here... the Characters as more simple (picture-wise), the hey I can play against my friends aspects (like Pokemon), the dice and rolling and all that goes with fancy dice and finally the fact that there is the surprise carrot in every box feel as a kid I think that's huge deal.

I do think that both games are good and can co-exist... but like others I can't delve into both moneywi$e.

If I was say on a business trip or at home alone then Legendary would seem to be the logical choice and I would enjoy it but overall I think MDM will pan out for me personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Powell
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Legendary a few weeks ago and have been LOVING it. I've played close to 40 games with a variety of groups (solo and 2-5 players) and everyone I've taught the game to (10-15 people) has asked to play again immediately after the first game.

But...I want to buy MDM too. I think it has some similarities, but I also think the unique factors are enough to warrant a place in my collection. My main reasons:

- I like the collectible aspect of MDM.

- The game length will help it get to the table more often than Legendary.

- The tactile nature of the game should make it appealing to an even broader audience than Legendary.

- MDM seems like a mashup of some of my favorite games (Magic, Legendary and Dominion), with cool shiny dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bresnan
United States
Decatur
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in BOTH games, buy one and let one of your gaming buddies buy the other - a win/win. Dwight and I both own Legendary, play it together, play it with our families, and play it solo.....but I'm going to let him buy MDM and just play his and I'll continue to spend my gaming budget on Legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.