Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lucid
United States
Mountain House
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to KublaCon this year, best Con ever!

My question is what's a math trade and how does it work? I signed up for the Flea Market which was $30 and I usually sell about $50 in games. Not so great a deal but I like to support the Con.

So if I have a bunch of Arkham Horror/Heroscape and other games to sell how should I propose that witout annoying folks. I suppose I could make a geek list or a forum. I've seen comments on math trades but I was never really good in math, so maybe this is the way to go and I just don't know how to do it.

Also KublaCon has a policy to not sell games at the Con outside of the flea market so I will respect that and workout a handoff from my trunk. I'll be the fellow in the green fedora and periwinkle raincoat. Meet me at parking stall 3A. Don't make me resort to "pssst, hey buddy, want to buy some magic cards?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Who dares disturb the Hobnob Goblin?
mbmbmbmbmb
A math trade is a geeklist where many BGG members post all the games they are willing to trade. Then when everyone has done that, people use a big digital checklist to mark all the games of those they'd like to own. Then some computers crunch some numbers and figure out which games should be traded for which. (There are some safety guards built in so you don't end up trading away your copy of Agricola for Phase 10.) We did one last year at KublaCon. It was a "no-ship" which means everybody just brings their games and trades them right there for other games, no extra postal costs.

The last two years, actually, have been run by this user, whom we respect and adore for his superior trade-running abilities.

Brett
United States
Santa Clara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Maybe he will attend again this year?

To get a better idea of what math trades are like, here's a link to last year's KublaCon math trade: KublaCon 2013 No-Ship Math Trade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping someone picks this up and sets up a no-ship trade this year. I need to turn over some games!

BTW... shouldn't there be a KublaCon guild?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lucid
United States
Mountain House
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And you're just the person to start it, i'll join.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cubeconvict wrote:
BTW... shouldn't there be a KublaCon guild?

zaphod b wrote:
And you're just the person to start it, i'll join.

Touché. I just attempted to start one; it has been sent to moderators for approval, apparently. No experience with setting up guilds, so we'll see what happens. Cross your geek-thumbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cubeconvict wrote:
I need to turn over some games!

I don't know if you live near enough for it to help, but there is also the game auction at the game store "Endgame" in Oakland. It happens on April 19 this year. You can put your games into the auction for free and set a minimum price. If they don't sell you can take them back.

Here's a link to the auction details, including PDF forms they make you fill out for every game. shake http://www.endgameoakland.com/auction/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news, everyone!

The Kublacon Guild thing just got approved. So now we can be a guild.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/1916

Um... I don't really know anything about guilds, so don't expect me to do anything. Let me know if you have suggestions and stuff.

:shrugs lamely:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lucid
United States
Mountain House
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of them are just placeholders, there's nothing required to do. It's cool to have a guild though in case someone wants to post some information or if we get a few participants, we can organize games and trades and stuff.

Nicely done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 interest in Math trade at KublaCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in if there's a math trade for KublaCon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ambie
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Do you want to play a board gaaame?
mbmbmbmbmb
The math trade is now up!

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/172440/kublacon-2014-no-sh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.