Gamer Fergy

Burlingame
California
msg tools
I'm pretty sure I'm playing Ezren's starting powers along with detect magic correctly, but does anyone know of a good resource that lays out how and when he can use them (before or after exploration) and how much he can use them sequentially?

Detect magic:
--Discard this card to examine the top card of your location deck. If the card is a blessing or has the Magic trait, you may immediately encounter it; otherwise, return it to the top of the deck.

Ezren's base powere:
--After you play a spell with the arcane trait, you may examine the top card of your deck; if it’s a spell, you may put it in your hand.
--If you acquire a card with the Magic trait during an exploration, you may immediately explore again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When Ezren plays Detect Magic, he has to finish playing Detect Magic before he can draw, and that include examining (and maybe encountering). Here is the order I do that in:

Play Detect Magic (it goes it "limbo")
Examine top card of location deck and determine if I can/want to encounter.
Examine Ezren's deck and determine if I can/want to draw it.
Attempt recharge of Detect Magic.

Part of that comes from the order he would use during an Encounter, which is clarified in the FAQ.

See this thread for some discussion on that. But read carefully because Mike was working overtime and at first misread's the question. And that is before the recent FAQ update.

But if you play Detect Magic, you are not exploring, and Ezren's second power only activates when he explores. Detect Magic makes you Examine and Encounter, but not explore. There is a difference, and it matters to Ezren.

Rulebook v3 p22 wrote:
If It Isn’t Called Something, It Isn’t That Thing. Every term described in the rules and on cards has a specific definition...Detect Magic doesn’t use the word “explore,” so you can play it at times when you can’t explore.

So you can play Detect Magic before you Move. But it also means Ezren can't activate his explore again power off it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Fergy

Burlingame
California
msg tools
Thanks a bunch. Wow, these rule distinctions are a little intense...! surprise

So, have I got this right?

Before or after the exploration phase:
1) I can play Detect magic (Discard this card to examine the top card of your location deck. If the card is a blessing or has the Magic trait, you may immediately encounter it; otherwise, return it to the top of the deck.)
a) if it is a spell, can I use Ezren's base power (After you play a spell with the arcane trait, you may examine the top card of your deck; if it’s a spell, you may put it in your hand) to put it right into my hand?
b) if it was a blessing or something else magic and I encounter and acquire it, can I use Ezren's base power (After you play a spell with the arcane trait...) to examine the top card of your deck and if it’s a spell, put it in my hand?

Only during exploration phase:
1) I can use Ezren's base power (if I acquire a card with the Magic trait during an exploration, I may immediately explore again).
2) If I play a spell with the arcane trait during explore, can I use Ezren's base power (After you play a spell with the arcane trait, you may examine the top card of your deck; if it’s a spell, you may put it in your hand)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerFergy wrote:
1) I can play Detect magic (Discard this card to examine the top card of your location deck. If the card is a blessing or has the Magic trait, you may immediately encounter it; otherwise, return it to the top of the deck.)
a) if it is a spell, can I use Ezren's base power (After you play a spell with the arcane trait, you may examine the top card of your deck; if it’s a spell, you may put it in your hand) to put it right into my hand?

No. Ezren's power works on "your" deck -- known as a draw pile in most card games.

When you cast Detect Magic and look at the top card of the location deck (where your character pawn is), if it is a spell card you decide to either immediately encounter it (try to acquire it) or put it back on top of the location deck. If you opt to encounter it, you try to acquire it. If you succeed it goes into your hand. If you fail it goes into the box.

After all that, you can look at the top card of your draw pile and draw it into your hand if it is a spell (if you want to).

After that, you can roll to recharge the Detect Magic spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Fergy

Burlingame
California
msg tools
Wow! Thanks Chris and Hawkeye!

Man, I didn't see that distinction at first....but now I def. do. I'm a very detailed oriented person (it's my day job) and I totally missed that! In their next iteration of PACG, I think Paizo might need to bold and/or clarify some of these distinctions on their cards....hard to expect boardgamers to see all these distinctions...!

I see now why Hawkeye's example makes sense too:

Play Detect Magic (it goes it "limbo")
Examine top card of location deck and determine if I can/want to encounter.
Examine Ezren's deck and determine if I can/want to draw it.
Attempt recharge of Detect Magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerFergy wrote:
Thanks a bunch. Wow, these rule distinctions are a little intense...! surprise

So, have I got this right?

Before or after the exploration phase:
b) if it was a blessing or something else magic and I encounter and acquire it, can I use Ezren's base power (After you play a spell with the arcane trait...) to examine the top card of your deck and if it’s a spell, put it in my hand?

Only during exploration phase:
1) I can use Ezren's base power (if I acquire a card with the Magic trait during an exploration, I may immediately explore again).
2) If I play a spell with the arcane trait during explore, can I use Ezren's base power (After you play a spell with the arcane trait, you may examine the top card of your deck; if it’s a spell, you may put it in your hand)?

Not quite.

Ezren's First Powers wrote:
After you play a spell with the Arcane trait, you may examine the top card of your deck; if it’s a spell, you may put it in your hand.

That power triggers any time Ezren plays a spell with the Arcane trait from his hand. He might play a spell at any time in his turn or anyone else's turn, depending on the situation and the spells in his hand.

Ezren's Second Powers wrote:
If you acquire a card with the Magic trait during an exploration, you may immediately explore again.

That power triggers any time Ezren is exploring (which is a specific part of your turn) and acquires a card with the Magic trait or a blessing. But he has to be exploring. You can encounter cards without exploring (i.e. by playing Detect Magic), so if Ezren acquires a card from a non-exploring encounter, he doesn't get to explore again.

For instance, you can play Detect Magic any time on your turn after "Advance the Blessing Deck" and "Reset Your Hand". So that is before, after, or during the Explore part of your turn. Here is what can happen:

1. Ezren plays Detect Magic.
2. Ezren examines the top card of his location deck. It is a monster. Since is it not a card with the magic trait or a blessing, he can not encounter it. So he puts it back on top of the location deck.
3. Ezren played a spell with the Arcane trait (Detect Magic), so he activates his First Power to examine his own character deck (i.e. his draw pile). It is a spell, so he adds it to his hand.
4. Ezren attempts the recharge check on Detect Magic. He succeeds and recharges it.

Or this can happen.

1. Ezren plays Detect Magic.
2. Ezren examines the top card of his locaiton deck. It is a spell with a check to acquire of Arcane 5. Ezren decides to encounter it. So he begins the Encountering a Card Sequence.
3. Encountering a Card: Long story short, he succeeds at the check to acquire and adds the card to his hand.
4. Ezren played a spell with the Arcane trait (Detect Magic), so he activate his first power to examine his character deck (i.e. his draw pile). It is a spell, so he adds it to his hand.
5. Ezren checks his second power, because he'd like to explore again. But he realizes that playing Detect Magic meant he wasn't exploring, so his second power can't activate.

EDIT: You posted before me. I think you've got it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Fergy

Burlingame
California
msg tools
You are the bomb Hawk, thanks for taking the time to explain.

Makes so much more sense now...and it'll be a lot more fun playing the correct way..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Clasing
msg tools
mb
Just to make Hawkmoon's example perfectly clear to new players, although Ezren cannot use his second power (I'm referring to the example at the end), he still can explore using the normal one explore per turn. Ezren is not using his power to do that, as it has not been activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Ezren choose not to take the spell ( during detect magic) so that he can get the extra explore?

Can you keep exploring if Ezren keeps finding spells?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and yes.

However... Let's assume Ezren has used his free exploration, then plays detect magic and sees the next card is a spell. He can decide to not encounter it (Detect Magic says "may" after all). But then he will need to play a card to explore his location or else wait for his next turn so that he can encounter the spell during an exploration.

And as long as Ezren is exploring and acquiring boons with the magic trait, he is granted an additional exploration each time. I've seen him get 4 or 5 explorations in a row from that power at the Academy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

As a side note, does the "immediately" means there is no window to play anything before his next exploration, like, say, a Cure, or merely that he has one more exploration this turn?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:
Hi,

As a side note, does the "immediately" means there is no window to play anything before his next exploration, like, say, a Cure, or merely that he has one more exploration this turn?

Thanks.

Correct, the next action that happens must be his exploring. Nothing can be played in between the resolution of him acquiring a card with the Magic trait and him exploring his location again.

Just as with defeating a henchman allowing you to "immediately" attempt to close the location, it isn't an action you can save for later in the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks Hawkmoon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.