Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Eight-Minute Empire» Forums » General

Subject: 2 Player - Non Dummy Player Variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Milko
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but...

I primarily play games 2 player with the wife. I'm looking to get an area control \ are influence game into our collection. My wife isn't really a gamer, so I have to present games that are good looking, relatively light weight, and work well with 2 playerssurprise.

I'd like to pick up Eight Minute Empires, but the fact that it requires a dummy player really turns us off. Is there a way to play this w/out the dummy player requirement that would still be engaging?

Secondly, does anyone have suggestions for area control games that work well w/ 2? My wife really likes the art styles of games such as eight minute empire and rattus, but it looks like most of the other area control games out there are pretty dry in theme, or are way too advanced for her tastes.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
ruinsofzach wrote:
Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but...

I primarily play games 2 player with the wife. I'm looking to get an area control \ are influence game into our collection. My wife isn't really a gamer, so I have to present games that are good looking, relatively light weight, and work well with 2 playerssurprise.

I'd like to pick up Eight Minute Empires, but the fact that it requires a dummy player really turns us off. Is there a way to play this w/out the dummy player requirement that would still be engaging?

Secondly, does anyone have suggestions for area control games that work well w/ 2? My wife really likes the art styles of games such as eight minute empire and rattus, but it looks like most of the other area control games out there are pretty dry in theme, or are way too advanced for her tastes.



Rialto is a very dry, but good area majority game.

What about the dummy player that you don't like?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Milko
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the mechanics of it, it's that my wife always complains that dummy players take away from the game, or distracts her when it's her turn to take it's turn. I guess if most of the area control games have that mechanic, I can deal with it, but just wondered if anyone played without it, or what other games out there would be a good fit.

Rialto looks interesting, I'll check that one out.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Sullivan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ruinsofzach wrote:
I don't mind the mechanics of it, it's that my wife always complains that dummy players take away from the game, or distracts her when it's her turn to take it's turn.


It's not really a dummy player at all, as there are no turns to take. They're just neutral armies that sit on the board from the start of the game and never move. Think of them as indigenous people to conquer, or natural defenses that make it a little harder to claim control.

I love 8ME in all player counts. Two players is one of my favorites.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife really liked Eight-Minute Empire: Legends and I definitely don't remember there being a dummy player. (probably because the map size varies by player count. (maybe the instructions talked about a dummy player, but it played fine without it)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Stone
United States
Monroe
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Camden and Fjords are both great 2-player area control games. I feel Fjords is a little more fun, but harder to find. Agora is available free at http://cheapass.com/freegames/agora/

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Milko
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I guess I was misunderstanding the 2 player rules in the game, and assumed the dummy player mechanic was similar to othersblush. Now that I realize it really isnt a controlled dummy player, I'll be picking one of the 2 8ME versions as an entry to the area control genre.
thanks all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play 2 player 8ME and often don't bother with the neutral armies at all. It plays just fine with or without - hardly any difference in game play at all.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alter Ego
Germany
munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
superdupergeek wrote:
My wife and I play 2 player 8ME and often don't bother with the neutral armies at all. It plays just fine with or without - hardly any difference in game play at all.


in fact, the German version rules does not have any special setup for 2 players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
superdupergeek wrote:
My wife and I play 2 player 8ME and often don't bother with the neutral armies at all. It plays just fine with or without - hardly any difference in game play at all.


We just played our first games this afternoon and to make it less complicated we played without the third color army. Seemed good to us. I'm guessing the only real difference is that it lowers the scores a bit?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Varela
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anto wrote:
superdupergeek wrote:
My wife and I play 2 player 8ME and often don't bother with the neutral armies at all. It plays just fine with or without - hardly any difference in game play at all.


in fact, the German version rules does not have any special setup for 2 players.

Nor does the spanish version by Devir.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.