Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in two worlds: writing and game design. They're pretty similar but in writing I see several things that should exist in game design but I've failed to uncover them.

One such thing is content editing. In writing a content editor is one of the most important people you'll encounter as a writer - s/he is the person who makes sure that your book shines.

See, there are two types of editors in the writing world: copy editors and content editors. A copy editor will correct all your grammar errors, check your spelling and make sure that your character names are spelled consistently.

A content editor will tell you that you've got a weak opening, that your subplot is going off base and that your hero isn't sympathetic enough. In short, the copy editor makes sure your book is easy to read while the content editor makes sure your book is worth reading.

My question is this: are there content editors in game design? I've seen examples of content editing happening, for example when Ignacy Trzewiczek blogged about how Vlaada Chvátil told him that there shouldn't be any positive events in the Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island event deck. That's a content edit: this thing makes your game worse than it should be, correct it this way.

But I've never seen a position as a content editor, or anyone saying that they're a game content editor. The closest thing I see are game developers, but development involves quite a lot of things that a content edit doesn't, and content editing involves some things that game development doesn't.

So, are there content editors in game design?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm sure there are, yes, but not uniformly.

As with all things writing, everyone thinks they write well because they CAN write, which completely undervalues nearly all aspects of the profession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe "playtesters" are generally expected (or at least requested) to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Game development covers it. The role can vary from coordinating playtests and keeping track of rules changes to taking over the design after submission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Game development covers it. The role can vary from coordinating playtests and keeping track of rules changes to taking over the design after submission.

In larger companies, wouldn't this also be the domain of the marketing department (as sad as that probably is...)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Wargame companies do a lot of heavy editing, where the role is usually referred to as the game's "Developer".

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoever is developing your design and in the process overhauls your rulebook, would be the content editor; taking queues from the blind playtesters (no pun intended) who will show them problems they found in the current rule set. This could be the designer as well, but it would be better to have two eyes look it over and do at least one overhaul of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
I believe "playtesters" are generally expected (or at least requested) to do that.

In part, but a playtester isn't (usually) a professional. A content editor would be able to point out the weaknesses on a consistent basis for multiple target audiences, a playtester would mostly talk about their own impressions from their own personal standpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:

I agree, but game development is a very broad term, covering a wide range of topics. A content editor is rather specialized (although not all books get content editors, sometimes it's the agent that acts as a content editor, sometimes the lot falls on the copy editor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
filwi wrote:
rshipley wrote:

I agree, but game development is a very broad term, covering a wide range of topics. A content editor is rather specialized (although not all books get content editors, sometimes it's the agent that acts as a content editor, sometimes the lot falls on the copy editor).

My take on it is this: In writing, what you work with is content. Hence a content editor. In games, you work with game mechanics, hence a game developer. A game developer does the equivalent thing to a content developer, but in a different context.

Having a content editor in a game would be like having a conductor in a drama. In a different environment, the person does a slightly different job, but fulfilling essentially the same role - making the thing better by suggesting changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but a game developer does work with games that a content editor wouldn't do with text, for example run playtests (i.e. market research, handling alpha readers etc.). A content editor wouldn't develop the manuscript either, which a game developer does with a game.

On the other hand a content editor would normally be subordinate to the writer, which a game developer usually isn't, so a content editor fills a support function, while a game developer is the "next step in the chain", more akin to an market editor or publisher than a content editor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zagieboylo
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I don't think that the game design world is mature enough for such a role officially. Those designers who are wise enough to know that such input can add to their game post here, they playtest extensively, and they listen.

In 12 seconds of Googling, I did not find a worldwide market size of literature or gaming, but I'll bet that the gaming market is less than 1% the literature one. With a market so much smaller, I'm not sure that even significant game companies will ever have a full-time person in such a role, though they unofficially have the role already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
filwi wrote:
Antistone wrote:

In part, but a playtester isn't (usually) a professional. A content editor would be able to point out the weaknesses on a consistent basis for multiple target audiences, a playtester would mostly talk about their own impressions from their own personal standpoint.

The designer isn't usually a professional, either. That doesn't change the nature of the job, it just means the bar is set lower.

Playtesters don't usually offer expert advice, because they're usually not experts, because usually no one is willing to pay for experts, so you get volunteers and amateur advice instead. I imagine that if board game profits were a hundredfold higher we'd have professional playtesters who would be expected to understand different target audiences and stuff like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it is a question of scale. Read some Magic the Gathering designer/developer blogs and the roles are much more specialized when you have a million some dollar market for the same game. Similar sort of thing in software development; and based on the quality of books from off label publishers particularly with content errors, I'm thinking it scales there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think you're looking for a 1:1 equivalency here which doesn't exist. So, the short answer to your question of "are there content editors for games?" is no, there aren't.

The long answer, though, is that there are people who fill the role that a content editor would fill, it is just that it is not always one person doing exactly the same things in exactly the same manner. So there is somebody whose job is to provide high-level analysis of a game's strengths and weaknesses, they just do it in a different framework than would be used for editing a manuscript.

filwi wrote:
Yeah, but a game developer does work with games that a content editor wouldn't do with text, for example run playtests (i.e. market research, handling alpha readers etc.). A content editor wouldn't develop the manuscript either, which a game developer does with a game.

On the other hand a content editor would normally be subordinate to the writer, which a game developer usually isn't, so a content editor fills a support function, while a game developer is the "next step in the chain", more akin to an market editor or publisher than a content editor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
filwi wrote:
Antistone wrote:

That's why when you are looking for playtesters you should look for people within your audience (or someone that knows what your audience wants). The playtesters will say: the theme feels pasted on, I don't feel like I'm involved in the game, the endgame is anticlimactic. Based in your description of a content editor, the job looks pretty similar.

And I'm pretty sure big companies like FFG or Hasbro or whatever might have in-house developers/playtesters capable of doing it in a consistent basis (and possibly being really accurate and savvy about what their market audience wants).

Or perhaps there's no such thing in gaming, and might not be a good idea to try to understand the board gaming industry through the eyes of another industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.