Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh -

So I'm supposed to add a Stage 2 card to the objective deck if I'm using Bureaucracy. Wacky.

Any rules you've played wrong multiple times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! All this time we've been adding an additional Stage 1 objective. What a difference an extra I can make.

Hard to think of a recent example, but for the longest time I thought Choosing Strategy Cards in a 3-4 player game via the "Snake" method [A, B, C, C, B, A] was the official rule as opposed to just a good way to do it. The RAW makes turn order a little too important otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule I found out about most recently is the one where if you roll perfectly three or four times, your fighter can destroy a war sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
The rule I found out about most recently is the one where if you roll perfectly three or four times, your fighter can destroy a war sun.

Strictly speaking, that's an optional rule, not part of the "main" ruleset. It's an OFFICIAL option, but still an option, so make sure the players know whether or not it's being used before the game.

And it really only requires 2 "successful" rolls to succeed (although getting more successes in the first set makes the chances of getting a success in the second set more likely). It's also a good way to lose a lot of fighters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ska_baron wrote:
Huh -

So I'm supposed to add a Stage 2 card to the objective deck if I'm using Bureaucracy. Wacky.

Any rules you've played wrong multiple times?

Wow. Always looked in the back of the SE rules for the card details, totally missed this note on page 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wha...what??? Hey, cool, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IncrediSteve wrote:

Hard to think of a recent example, but for the longest time I thought Choosing Strategy Cards in a 3-4 player game via the "Snake" method [A, B, C, C, B, A] was the official rule as opposed to just a good way to do it. The RAW makes turn order a little too important otherwise.

Saaaaay, that's a good soundin' house rule if ever there was one.

YOINK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I've just done a quick search and maybe I missed it, but does there exist a one page doc that has something like "reminder rules."

Otherwise I'll just create one.

Looking to not have to remember some of this small crap. And granted, it'll be different for everyone as the game is highly customizable. I just dont want to forget this or have to always look up that no one starts with any action cards or the hand limit is 7.

I just dont play this one frequently enough to internalize it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:

You have to turn off your targeting computer first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
When using SE, you only play to 9 VP.

You only get the benefits of tech specializations if the planet is unexhausted.

Direct Hit cannot be used outside of combat.

You get a minimum of 1 vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:

Well, strictly speaking, it's when playing with Bureaucracy that causes you to only play to 9. (IE, as opposed to it being a core change to the victory conditions altogether; if you play with Imperial I or Imperial II, you would still play to 10).

But this is still a good thing to note, since I think most people probably use Bureaucracy anyway, and it wouldn't surprise me if many/most overlooked this rule. Granted, the game still would play fine if you played to 10, it would just take a little bit longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:

Direct Hit cannot be used outside of combat.

You get a minimum of 1 vote.

I've just reminded my group about the minimum 1 vote rule. It doesn't have much impact after the first few turns. (And not a great deal in the first few turns to be honest)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsman
United States
Ely
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
where is the rule about you get a minimum of one vote

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
TI3 Core Rulebook, Page 23 wrote:

When voting, a player has as many votes as the total combined influence value of all his unexhausted planets (and a minimum of 1 vote).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bikini Cowboy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only build your flagship in the HS.

Never played this. Oops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p4r4d1s wrote:

Never played this. Oops.

That's a pretty important rule - it's the balancing factor on them not requiring techs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bikini Cowboy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
p4r4d1s wrote:

Never played this. Oops.

That's a pretty important rule - it's the balancing factor on them not requiring techs.

In my defense i did not often build the flagship. Even then i might have still build it in my HS. Anyway, i never won any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p4r4d1s wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
p4r4d1s wrote:

Never played this. Oops.

In my defense i did not often build the flagship. Even then i might have still build it in my HS. Anyway, i never won any way.

But if you played the rule correctly karma would have given you the victory...whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G
msg tools
Gylthinel wrote:

Been playing this game for years and never knew that. Just been back and checked the rule books and show enough it was right there all along. Playing today so we'll see how much this effects things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dzyhanas S.
Turkey
flag msg tools
Ska_baron wrote:
Huh -

So I'm supposed to add a Stage 2 card to the objective deck if I'm using Bureaucracy.

I don't understand exactly, what does it.means? You suppose to add one additional stage 2 card to to the Objective deck so your Objective deck will have 5 stage 2 Objective cards-7 if you play with Long War?

Where it mentioned?

Edit. i found it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael D
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Along with adding that extra Stage 2 Objective card, there is another rule that is missed a lot that goes with it. I know the rule was a surprise to my new TI3 group that they did not know existed in regards to using the new Bureaucracy Strategy Card.

'After building the Objective deck, reveal the top card and place it face up in the common play area.' pg 9 Shattered Empires rule book, under option 2 rule for using the new strategy cards like Bureaucracy.

Makes all the difference starting the game having at least one public objective out so that you can build your strategy, especially if your primary is awful. Think about a game where the Bureaucracy card is not chosen due to the number of players and thus no objective card is revealed for a few turns if everyone skips taking that strategy card, so this guarantees that at least one public objective card is out there on turn one. The group was blown away by this rule that they never knew existed since they always play with that new strategy card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I just learned about 5 new rules... awkward...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.