Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to make my own status/effect counters for a minis game (Infinity) and I have a bunch of printed counters, some on card (punched out from the minis boxes) and others printed myself on paper. I also have a whole bunch of 1"/25mm MDF discs from Litko to mount them on.

So, anyone got any recommendations on how to glue them on and then seal them? My initial guess would be a bit of white glue to affix them, then lay them out on a foil-covered cookie sheet and coat with a spray varnish, but I am not sure if that'll work or not. Anyone done anything similar, and if so can you share some tips?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
White glue should be fine with MDF and card stock. It has too much water for office paper and tends to cause wrinkles and puckers. Try a waterless glue for that. Apply glue to the MDF, not the paper. Use as little glue as possible -- if it is wet enough that the paper can slide when you first touch it to the disk, then you used too much glue. If it fails to adhere, then you used too little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it is better to use Yes! glue or Super77
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks folks! Now, any advice on the varnish/sealer aspect of this project?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try paper cement to adhere to the MDF. I've got a brayer if you need it but it doesn't sound like you'll need one. Have you thought about Hodge Podge for the sealant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant Mod Podge or whatever that puzzle sealer stuff is called...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mod podge ought to work to affix it to the mdf as well, i would think. Just use a foam brush to spread it on the mdf, set it in place, then run another layer on top. Dries in 20 minutes and you can use it indoors without worrying about aerosol cans spraying sealant everywhere

Full disclosure: i havent actually used mod podge for gaming bits, but have been quite pleased for using it on some other projects,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. I was actually looking at a spray shellac in the hardware store this afternoon that says it's good for paper goods, but the Mod Podge might be the way to go for a first try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Modge Podge

I'd recommend just using acrylic instead. You can get VOC-free brush-on clear acrylic in the form of painters' medium, which looks creamy but dries clear (and comes in a variety of gloss/satin/matt finishes), or you could even use something simple like thinly-brushed-on klearfuturepledge. Modge Podge has a poor record for staying sticky or becoming sticky again in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Engle
United States
Ellettsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yes paste will work well to paste the card stock to MDF. If you use it, mix the past up to a watery state, brush some on the MDF and wet the back of the card stock (water will do) then place them on the board. You don't need to soak it just lightly wet will do. The capalary action win hold the pieced down. You don't want to have any lumps or lay it on thick. That will not work in the long run. The pieces should dry fast and hold a long time.

As to varnish. I've tried a lot of them and found that poly urethane to be the best. It does not smell wonderful to put on but it is not water based so will not mess with glue or paste. It drys quickly. Give it a couple of coats and you'll have a high quality token. Water based varnish is slow drying and even after a year will tend to stick to other paint. There are faster drying versions of it but even they have problems. They just don't look as good and stick - especially when under heat. If you store games in 85+ degrees it becomes an issue.

Good luck!

Chris Engle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Fahy

Boston
Massachusetts
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooo the painters' medium is a great idea thanks! I'll try that out on the game boards I just made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.