Popular Tags: [View All]
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing around with a retheme idea, and want to do away with the pips for something more thematic.
For example, I could change each die face to be a different colour: red/orange/yellow/green/blue/purple.

Most of the dice rolls can easily be converted to these new faces:
- X of a kind stays the same
- Combos (2 pair, full house etc) stay the same
- Odds can be all warm colours (red, orange, yellow), and then Evens all cool colours (blue, green, purple)
- The large straight is simply "one of each"
- The short straight is a little more arbitrary: "one of each, excluding red OR purple"
- Endgame needs to have the colours ranked: Red>Orange>Yellow>Green>Blue>Purple

But how do I do the sums???

I could translate each colour to a number, and ask players to count them. But I that would be very very fiddly, and I'd prefer to avoid it.

Instead, I'd love to choose some other criteria that give similar odds to the sums. Such as "roll two reds and a green". These would get progressively easier with more dice, working in the same way as the sums.
BUT ideally I'd like them to have similar odds as the sums, and then I get stumped.

Can anyone help me out with this???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you're on a good path here.
Removing the numbers, adding colours and then assining numbers to a colour will make the game really hard to follow.

Also "translating" the odds wouldn't work very well because of all the options.
For example if you want 10+ with 2 dice there are the following possibilities (using D10 to show, because they differ in colour):
d10-6d10-6
d10-6d10-5
d10-5d10-5
d10-4d10-6
So you yould say: two green or one purple and a grey, green or purple.
But as the game also allows throwing the 10+ with any number of dice you'd quickly slide into unlimited options.
With 2 dice rolling 10+ is 16,6%
with 3 dice rolling 10+ is 62.5%
with 4 dice rolling 10+ is 90.2%
Now you'd need an easy requirement mentioning colours and resulting in the same odds? This is already hard for this simple example but considering TCtK has up to 12 dice...

If you want to translate as mentioned "roll two reds and a green" to another colourbased requirement of similar odds you'd also have the problem of the card effects that add value to a die.

All in all I'm trying to say: If you are having a game where adding up and sums play an important role it seems like a bad Idea to remove numbers from the game.

On the other hand it is probably possible to design a totally new game which is colourbased and has the TCtK-feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'd been focusing on the cost half first, and leaving the ability half to later.

You're right, the abilities require numbers, specifically the manipulators.
And taking away the numbers will change the game too much.

So then I have a few (simpler) options for the dice:
A - Keep them as normal dice
B - Get indented dice and add stickers where each pip is a shape (to add basic theme), for example changing all pips to stars
C - Get indented dice and add stickers with a printed number and a background shape, for example a faded zoo animal behind each number.

I'm going to play around with my theme, and see what works. But I'll probably just stick with the normal dice; spend my effort on retheming the cards. I think that nice art & symbology will make the retheme shine.

Thanks for considering my question. Once I complete the retheme, then I'll post a picture of (some of) the finished product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest ditching the number totals. Instead, do color wheel stuff:
15+ becomes all colors secondary (red/blue/yellow)
20+ becomes all colors primary (orange/green/purple)
30+ becomes 6+ dice all in two adjacent colors

N.b. I'd rather have the 15+ guy than the 20+ guy, so I made them equally hard

Adding 1 to all dice allows you to shift a primary to its secondary
Adding 2 to all dice allows you to shift between primaries
Alchemist/Philosopher allows you to mix/unmix colors: blue/yellow -> green/green, or purple/purple -> red/blue

For the final tiebreak, you can just do rainbow order, red on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.