Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
As a birthday gift my brother is buying an e-reader for me. now I turn to the hivemind of Chit-Chat for suggestions about what books to get for it.
I don't really want anything I already own so a shortish list will be given below.
tastes, fiction: Historical, fantasy, Sci-Fi, surrealism.
no fiction: history, popular science,
I've read:
almost everything from Pratchett, Feist, Frank Herbert, Peter F Hamilton, Steven Erikson, Gene Wolfe, George R.R. Martin, L.P. Boon, Jack Vance, Robert Jordan, and probably a lot more that I forgot, Harry Potter too.
I've read some: Iain Banks, Murakami, Bill Bryson (love his works) Greg Bear, Richard Dawkins.

I'm currently reading:
God Emperor of Dune (by Herbert), The Earthsea quartet by Ursula LeGuin, and Jonathan Strange and mr. Norrel by someone I can't remember, the author's female that I do know
so based on my short post can anyone suggest some good series/novels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one fits in light surrealism and it's one of my favorite books:

The Boy Detective Fails by Joe Meno

It's about a boy detective along the lines of the Hardy Boys or Encyclopedia Brown, only all grown up and coping with his sister's suicide. It's a very strange and sweet book broken up by three "mysteries". I recommend it to everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Powers (historical, surreal) and Guy Gavriel Kay (historical, fantasy) seem to hit a lot of your likes. For sci-fi, Scalzi's Old Man's War series is good for some light fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I am vehemently against the idea of eReaders if you like Bryson be sure to get

At Home
One Summer

Two of his absolute best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Trader's Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper (Quarter Share, Half Share, etc. ) - Nathan Lowell

Light reading (young adult?) but fun series following the carrier of young man on a merchant ship. The final (one? two?) weren't available on the kindle the when I was last churning through them.

Liveship Trader's Trilogy by Robin Hobb (Mad Ship, Ship of Destiny, Ship of Magic)

Nautical fantasy adventure. A little overwrought at times, but I enjoyed it enough to recommend it.

Temeriare series by Naomi Novik (His Majesty's Dragon, etc.)

Dragon fantasy meets Napoleonic military adventure like chocolate meets peanut butter. If you are going to try this, it looks like the first three books are collected as In His Majesty's Service for $8 for the Kindle, vs. $6 a pop for the individual titles.

The Leviathan series by Scott Westerfield

Steampunk WWI era fantasy. Definitely well into the young adult category, so if that will put you off, probably skip it. Otherwise, a fun exploration of the highly improbable idea that the Brits developed advanced bio tech (think living airships) while the Germans developed "clanker" tech (more steampunk armored walkers, etc.)

Yeah, most of my reading of late has been on the fluffy side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Joe Gola's book. You know it makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK first off

Ash: A Secret History a 1200 page alternate-history novel. Hits the fantasy and SF - I view it as an SF book but it reads like fantasy for a lot of the time.

The Ryhope Wood series which starts with Mythago Wood. Excellent 7 book (loosely connected) series.

For surrealism (with a dose of the fantastic) try any of the early to mid Robert Rankin books. His Brentford Trilogy is 9 books long. The Armageddon series of 3 books is also good.

Ian McDonald's The Dervish House is good SF.

Others have recommended Tim Powers and GGK so I won't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
OK first off

Ash: A Secret History a 1200 page alternate-history novel. Hits the fantasy and SF - I view it as an SF book but it reads like fantasy for a lot of the time.

The Ryhope Wood series which starts with Mythago Wood. Excellent 7 book (loosely connected) series.

For surrealism (with a dose of the fantastic) try any of the early to mid Robert Rankin books. His Brentford Trilogy is 9 books long. The Armageddon series of 3 books is also good.

On which ereader is Ash available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
andyl wrote:
OK first off

It is available for the Kindle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Welborn wrote:
casualgod wrote:
andyl wrote:
OK first off

It is available for the Kindle.

So it is. I searched on amazon via my pc and could not fin a kindle edition, but when i searched on my kindle it popped right up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The book that made me most appreciate having an e-reader was The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Great book but over 1000 pages, so it's nice when it's nice and lightweight. Along the same lines, I have yet to read the even longer sequel that just came out this month, but I look forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike A wrote:
The book that made me most appreciate having an e-reader was The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Great book but over 1000 pages, so it's nice when it's nice and lightweight. Along the same lines, I have yet to read the even longer sequel that just came out this month, but I look forward to it.

I just got to the halfway point in that book. Took me a while...but I do recommend it if you liked Robert Jordan's work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the "What Did You Read This Month" threads right here on Chit Chat - always plenty of good recommendations.

More specifically, check out my favorite book that not enough people have read - Replay by Ken Grimwood. (When his other titles eventually make it to eBook, check those out too.)

[Edit. If you want to explore *old* Sci-Fi, check out Singularity and Co. - they "save" long out of print books and release them (well edited) to eBook. If you like pulp Mysteries, check out Hard Case Crime.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
This one fits in light surrealism and it's one of my favorite books:

The Boy Detective Fails by Joe Meno

It's about a boy detective along the lines of the Hardy Boys or Encyclopedia Brown, only all grown up and coping with his sister's suicide. It's a very strange and sweet book broken up by three "mysteries". I recommend it to everybody.

Nice will check it out.
the surrealist stuff has either been Murakami or the flemish author Hubert Lampo (don't know if any of his work has been translated)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Tim Powers (historical, surreal) and Guy Gavriel Kay (historical, fantasy) seem to hit a lot of your likes. For sci-fi, Scalzi's Old Man's War series is good for some light fun.

Tim Powers goes on the to check out list
I've tried the norse mythology novels by Guy Kavriel Kay once but wasn't to impressed, the whole people from our world fall into mythology is not something I like very much, the first Chronicles of Thomas Covenangt were good but I couldn't evennread the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Although I am vehemently against the idea of eReaders if you like Bryson be sure to get

At Home
One Summer

Two of his absolute best

I have at Home, A short history of nearly everything, The life and times of the thunderbolt kid, tales from down under (I think that's the title) and somewhere in my life I';ve lost tales from a small country.

the whole e-reader thing is because I'll probably be flying somewhere on vacation this summer instead of taking the car and due to luggage restrictions I need something else to read. because I usually read anywhere between 1000-3000 pages on my vacations. (my ideal vacation is an equal amount of creative activity (sculpture/painting or anything else), culture, and reading combined with good wine and company)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
Trader's Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper (Quarter Share, Half Share, etc. ) - Nathan Lowell

Light reading (young adult?) but fun series following the carrier of young man on a merchant ship. The final (one? two?) weren't available on the kindle the when I was last churning through them.

I've turned 34 last wednesday so a young adult I'm not anymore, unless I'm together with my friends , but I'll check it out.
Quote:

Liveship Trader's Trilogy by Robin Hobb (Mad Ship, Ship of Destiny, Ship of Magic)

Nautical fantasy adventure. A little overwrought at times, but I enjoyed it enough to recommend it.

I've read Hobb's Farseer Trilogy and I think my brother has the liveship traders stashed away in his bookcase somewhere as well.
Quote:

Temeriare series by Naomi Novik (His Majesty's Dragon, etc.)

Dragon fantasy meets Napoleonic military adventure like chocolate meets peanut butter. If you are going to try this, it looks like the first three books are collected as In His Majesty's Service for $8 for the Kindle, vs. $6 a pop for the individual titles.

Sounds great will see, unfortunately the Kindle is not readily available here in the Netherlands as there's no direct amazon site for .NL so I'll see what I can find.
Quote:

The Leviathan series by Scott Westerfield

Steampunk WWI era fantasy. Definitely well into the young adult category, so if that will put you off, probably skip it. Otherwise, a fun exploration of the highly improbable idea that the Brits developed advanced bio tech (think living airships) while the Germans developed "clanker" tech (more steampunk armored walkers, etc.)

Yeah, most of my reading of late has been on the fluffy side.

sounds like just the thing to read while sitting in the shade somewhere on the mediterenean coast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Get Joe Gola's book. You know it makes sense.

indeed it does.

thanks for the reminder that I read about that not so long ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
OK first off

I've read Ash, as me or my brother picked it up in a sale with a half-torn cover yearws ago. but would like to read it again. I also liked 1610 and Grunts was hilarious but I couldn't get into Orthé.
Quote:

thanks another one to check out.
Quote:

I've seen books of him in the stores but I confuse him with Ian Rankin who wrote Snowwhite and the seven Samurai and other parodies.
Quote:

will look into
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
Check out the "What Did You Read This Month" threads right here on Chit Chat - always plenty of good recommendations.

More specifically, check out my favorite book that not enough people have read - Replay by Ken Grimwood. (When his other titles eventually make it to eBook, check those out too.)

[Edit. If you want to explore *old* Sci-Fi, check out Singularity and Co. - they "save" long out of print books and release them (well edited) to eBook. If you like pulp Mysteries, check out Hard Case Crime.]

I have read Replay and I think I didn't stop to sleep when I got it, it was a fantastic novel. there were times when I was really moved by that book.

I will check out (and probably subscribe, and who knows participate ) in the WDYRTM thread, thanks for the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike A wrote:

thanks I will check them both out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Neal Stephenson?
Bernard Cornwell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
Neal Stephenson?
Bernard Cornwell

I read Stephenson's Cryptonomicon on the Kindle last summer and I enjoyed it. I haven't read his other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Welborn wrote:
HerrJork wrote:
Neal Stephenson?
Bernard Cornwell

I read Stephenson's Cryptonomicon on the Kindle last summer and I enjoyed it. I haven't read his other stuff.

my brother really likes it but one of the books he has has fallen to pieces from reading and travelling with him on his commute so several chapters are missing, I think I'll pick up Cryptonomicon and several others, so when he wants to borrow it he has some books to read
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
casualgod wrote:

Tim Powers goes on the to check out list
I've tried the norse mythology novels by Guy Kavriel Kay once but wasn't to impressed, the whole people from our world fall into mythology is not something I like very much, the first Chronicles of Thomas Covenangt were good but I couldn't evennread the second.

Regarding Tim Powers: Having read his entire body of published work, I recommend The Anubis Gates first, followed by Last Call. Of his recent stuff, Declare is REALLY good.

Regarding Guy Kay, you must be referring to Last Light of the Sun for the Viking story. I thought of his work in the pseudo history genre, this is the weakest of the batch. Too bad you read that first in forming your opinion of him. Lions of Al-Rassan and Under Heaven are amazing, but continue the pseudo history bit. Kay does the pseudo historical thing so that he can take a liberal literary license to the historical characters without being called out when he changes broad swaths of actual history to suit his story. I like it, but I can see how others may not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.