BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: difference of opinion - why argue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Several months ago, I got into Attack Wing. At first, the cards simply allowed some tweaks, and the game was somewhat enjoyable despite certain issues with some aspects of the game not really fitting with the theme. As more expansions came out with more cards and allowing more elaborate combinations of cards that really took it in a direction that reduced the game down to "close range & roll for overkill" thereby ruining the tactical aspect of the game, it became much less enjoyable to me. I was going to drop out of the 6 round OP with 3 months to go. Others in the group talked me into finishing it out (I agreed mainly to grab up some participation prizes to sell to help offset my losses as I do not expect anyone to pay full price for the stuff I bought). Now, it is over & they are still telling me I need to keep my stuff and continue playing. They are nice people who made playing at least somewhat enjoyable, but the conversations go in circles to the point that they seem very dismissive of the fact that playing the game is more of a burden than a hobby for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THUD the sound of a group of awstruck chins hitting the floor all at once
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Maybe you need to stop playing some of the OP stuff, and go back to playing casual games with some of the scenarios included in the base set or its expansions. I really like some of them.

Otherwise, there's plenty of other games out there for you to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

Maybe you need to stop playing some of the OP stuff, and go back to playing casual games with some of the scenarios included in the base set or its expansions. I really like some of them.

Otherwise, there's plenty of other games out there for you to try.

The OP is over now, but I don't want to play it anymore even casually. I definitely intend to play other games (including the one I bought as my buy in for the last OP). These guys just don't get that I have come to despise that game. Early on, it was okay because the cards just gave you some tweaks, but I don't consider a game that allows outright kills of the heaviest units in the game to be big on tactics. It has become too much of a card effect stacking game to be enough of a tactical game for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben the sandwich
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arguing a difference of opinion is often like discussing mustard. You like it or you don't like it. No amount of discussing will change that. What specifically are you worried about though? Don't do something you just don't enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that it gets annoying going around in circles arguing over why I want to unload my stuff and not play it anymore. I put the word out so that I can sell of my stuff, and I get told about how I need to keep playing. Every reason I cite for wanting out gets dismissed as being factually incorrect with some counterpoint that the math easily shoots down (for those that accept math), so it turns into a situation where it feels more like an argument. I know that each person has different tastes, but these guys see that I did well early on (before the more extreme card combinations that reduced it down to "close range & roll for overkill) and don't understand my point that the game has devolved from a tactical game down to a card effect stacking competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
The problem is that it gets annoying going around in circles arguing over why I want to unload my stuff and not play it anymore. I put the word out so that I can sell of my stuff, and I get told about how I need to keep playing. Every reason I cite for wanting out gets dismissed as being factually incorrect with some counterpoint that the math easily shoots down (for those that accept math), so it turns into a situation where it feels more like an argument. I know that each person has different tastes, but these guys see that I did well early on (before the more extreme card combinations that reduced it down to "close range & roll for overkill) and don't understand my point that the game has devolved from a tactical game down to a card effect stacking competition.

This might sound harsh and grumpy but you don't actually owe them a reason they can accept. It's your free time to spend as you wish. It's not like you are forcing them to change to suit you, you're just moving on to other games you'll (hopefully) enjoy more.

I recommend keeping your future replies short. Something like "I just don't want to play anymore". If they press with a bunch of "why's" don't give them anything they can latch on to to debate (specific game play details). Keep it simple; even if that is a vague "because I'm not interested anymore".

Sometimes when we are giving "bad news" we feel we need to provide a bunch of valid reasons as though we're pleading our case in court. But as you already know (given it's in your subject line) it's not a matter of one way being the correct way, it really is just opinion. Opinions, in this context, don't need to be validated. You're allowed to like, or dislike whatever you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Guys. There's something I have to tell you. I'm an X-Wing fan. I have been for awhile now."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
"Guys. There's something I have to tell you. I'm an X-Wing fan. I have been for awhile now."

Actually, it is funny you mentioned that. I mentioned that I would still be willing to occasionally play X Wing (although I would need to borrow some stuff). One of the guys who manages to keep denying that Attack Wing has gone too far with the card stacking, said that X Wing has started to do so also. The last time I played X Wing, it still seemed that the cards were just tweaks, not game breakers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.