Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long time player of Capcom's Versus series (e.g., Marvel Vs. Capcom, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom), I'm excited about the very possibility of matches with not only tags, but cross-tags, and cross-finishers. However, I'm left a little curious as to how the game mechanics would work out with respect to strikers (and whether or not they would take damage in a variety of situations). In other words, what's the risk vs. reward structure built in here (e.g., MvsC2, when you use a striker and they get hit, they take damage).

Extending upon the earlier question "Can strikers be stunned?", I have a few additional questions:

1. First of all, does a striker entering the ring switch the rules (albeit momentarily) to a 2 vs. 1 playing field (or 2 vs. 2 if your opponent also uses a striker)? If so, does this mean that all 2 vs. 1 or 2 vs. 2 rules apply (e.g., 2 team mates forming a wall, stackable stun guard and soak if player and striker are in the same space)?

2. Or rather, does the main character "step out" momentarily?

3. If not, if the striker is hit, does that mean that your character is not hit? (i.e., the majority of attacks which only hit one character).

4. As asked in the other thread, if that striker is a member of your tag team, does that striker take damage?

5. Lastly, for A-abilities and B-abilities, where is the striker "located"? In other words, if this were a video game, would they temporarily appear in the battle field and be able to be hit by moves accordingly? Or are these conceived of as "off-screen" (such that strikers can not be harmed)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones i know of:

hawk-x- wrote:
1. First of all, does a striker entering the ring switch the rules (albeit momentarily) to a 2 vs. 1 playing field (or 2 vs. 2 if your opponent also uses a striker)? If so, does this mean that all 2 vs. 1 or 2 vs. 2 rules apply (e.g., 2 team mates forming a wall, stackable stun guard and soak if player and striker are in the same space)?

No, it doesn't. The striker there just hits his attack, he isn't on the board the moment the character is hit.

hawk-x- wrote:
2. Or rather, does the main character "step out" momentarily?

Nope

hawk-x- wrote:
3. If not, if the striker is hit, does that mean that your character is not hit? (i.e., the majority of attacks which only hit one character).

Not again. When the striker attacks, the damage is dealt to the character. Is the classical assist, the striker enters, but the character never leaves.

hawk-x- wrote:
4. As asked in the other thread, if that striker is a member of your tag team, does that striker take damage?

While it would make sense, in order to keep things simpler, no.

hawk-x- wrote:
5. Lastly, for A-abilities and B-abilities, where is the striker "located"? In other words, if this were a video game, would they temporarily appear in the battle field and be able to be hit by moves accordingly? Or are these conceived of as "off-screen" (such that strikers can not be harmed)?

The Ante and Boosts are completely off screen bonuses. Think of them as the synergy bonuses you get by picking certain characters in King of Fighters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess in some ways, I'm wondering if there is, or if there should be a stronger risk vs reward structure. Under the terms you are describing it, Strikers are all reward and there is little to no reason to use a striker at each and every possible moment to boost stats, do additional attacks, etc.

I haven't played with Strikers yet, but I'm wondering if there's a way of implementing similar risk-based structures into the use of strikers so that there's a risk for your reward (should things go south that round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strikers don't do extra attacks. While the character is still on the board to take damage, all he does that beat is call for help.

Also, strikers attacks don't get any kind of bonus. No tokens, nothing, and can't get style bonuses. To sum it up, their stats are good, they are frozen. And, if you have a striker, so does your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
dinobottm2 wrote:
Strikers don't do extra attacks. While the character is still on the board to take damage, all he does that beat is call for help.

Also, strikers attacks don't get any kind of bonus. No tokens, nothing, and can't get style bonuses. To sum it up, their stats are good, they are frozen. And, if you have a striker, so does your opponent.

This. A Striker can be used for its attack, OR its ante, OR its boost, not all 3, and if you choose its attack, it completely replaces your attack pair. It does not perform an "extra" attack.

And since both you and your opponent(s) have Strikers as well, it's not as if you have some sort of unfair advantage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
if you choose its attack, it completely replaces your attack pair

I must have missed some key detail in the reading. Is it fair to say that the striker, if they attack (S-Ability), replaces your attack pair but not your on-board character?

In other words, your striker is never technically "on board" (or at least no sooner or longer than the moment in which the attack occurs)? and thus cannot be hit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
This is correct.

It's meant to sort of be like King of Fighters more than MvC. Your striker is not really part of your team in a 1v1, so taking damage wouldn't make sense.

You call the striker, and you're frozen for a moment doing the call while they come in and attack. If someone throws a good hit though, you're still on screen doing the call and will get hit. And when you flinch, your striker will step out right away (I don't think this is true in MvC, but it is in some other games that allow strikers).

In the Tag mode, however, doing a Cross Tag will cause your ally to switch into play before doing his Strike, so your ally could take damage in this case.

The best way to play Strikers thematically is in Tag Team mode. That's really what the expansion was designed around. In 1v1, they're just a way to customize your character a tad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much Brad! That's the kind of answer I was looking for (i.e., what game informs the mechanic) to make sense of what happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.