Subject: Act 2 question: No rest for Weary. Don't understand the wave text rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm batting 1.000 on being utterly confused by the quests and acts for this game.

I read the wave one text: "Three minions of one monster type (four sides per type"

What on earth does that mean?

I get the three minions part. I get three minions of one type.

But I don't get the four sides per type.

Does that mean?

- 3 minions (let's say crawlers are the type) on just one side?

- or 3 minions (crawler) on all four sides (This is what I "think" it means)

- or 3 minions (crawler) on one side, 3 minions (Grubber) on another side?

If it clearly says 3 minions of ONE TYPE...I'm royally confused by the language of 4 sides PER TYPE. There is only one type, so why is there "per type" language? Why not just say 12 minions of one type with 3 on each side? That would even take up less space in the rulebook.

Wave 4 is just as confusing. Two monster types but 2 sides per type.

I truly don't know what it means. Also, are the waves 4 hero cycles just like in the slaughterfield rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
It means 3 minions on all 4 sides, all of which are the same type. (so like, 12 crawlers total)

Wave 4 would be something like 2 sides have 3 grubbers and the other 2 sides have 3 crawlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:
I'm batting 1.000 on being utterly confused by the quests and acts for this game.

I read the wave one text: "Three minions of one monster type (four sides per type"

I am very impressed by the creativity that went into this game, but I'm beginning to think that creativity in general tends to hamper the clear and concise style needed for a technical document such as a rulebook. It is certainly true for this game.

I think slaughterfield is supposed to have monsters appearing on all four sides, every wave. So, you figure out how many types you have, how many should be in any one group, then add one group to each side. You divide the types up as evenly as possible, so 2 types will mean 2 groups of each type. I plan on ignoring the "sides" instructions when I play one of these scenarios.

I don't remember what happens when you get to three types and can't divide them up into four sides. I would bet my money that you just decide which type you want the fourth side to be. I watched one of their first slaughterfield vids but don't remember if they got to or explained the three type situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:

I don't remember what happens when you get to three types and can't divide them up into four sides. I would bet my money that you just decide which type you want the fourth side to be. I watched one of their first slaughterfield vids but don't remember if they got to or explained the three type situation.

you get a mini boss and three types

Rulebook p46 wrote:
Wave 1 – Three Minions of one Monster-type (Four sides per type)
Wave 2 – Four Minions of one Monster-type (Four sides per type)
Wave 3 – One Captain of one Monster-type (All sides per type)
Wave 4 – Three Minions of two Monster-types (Two sides per type)
Wave 5 – Four Minions of two Monster-types (Two sides per type)
Wave 6 – Four Minions and one Captain of two Monster-types (Two sides per type)
Wave 7 – Two Captains of two Monster-types (Two sides per type)
Wave 8 – Three Minions and one Captain of three Monster-types, and one Mini-Boss (One per side per type)
Wave 9 – Four Minions and two Captains of three Monster-types, and one Mini-Boss (One per side per type)
Wave 10 – Two Captains of three Monster-types, and one Boss (One per side per type)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:

Rulebook p46 wrote:
Wave 8 – Three Minions and one Captain of three Monster-types, and one Mini-Boss (One per side per type)
Wave 9 – Four Minions and two Captains of three Monster-types, and one Mini-Boss (One per side per type)
Wave 10 – Two Captains of three Monster-types, and one Boss (One per side per type)

Thanks. =) The "fourth" side for three-type situations is indeed clear.

I didn't have the rules handy. Here's something like how I would have written these:

One group per side.

Wave 1 – Four groups of one Monster Type. Three Minions in each group.
Wave 2 – Four groups of one Monster Type. Four Minions in each group.
Wave 3 – Four Captains of one Monster-type.
Wave 4 – Two groups each of two Monster-types. Three Minions in each group.
Wave 5 – Two groups each of two Monster-types. Four Minions in each group.
Wave 6 – Two groups each of two Monster-types. Four Minions and one Captain in each group.
Wave 7 – Two groups each of two Monster-types. Two Captains in each group.
Wave 8 – Three groups of different Monster-types. Three Minions and one Captain in each group. One Mini-Boss.
Wave 9 – Three groups of different Monster-types. Four Minions and two Captains in each group. One Mini-Boss.
Wave 10 – Three groups of different Monster-types. Two Captains in each group. One Boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
dahak wrote:

Rulebook p46 wrote:

I didn't have the rules handy. Here's something like how I would have written these:

One group per side.

Wave 6 – Two groups each of two Monster-types. Four Minions and one Captain in each group.
Wave 8 – Three groups of different Monster-types. Three Minions and one Captain in each group. One Mini-Boss.
Wave 9 – Three groups of different Monster-types. Four Minions and two Captains in each group. One Mini-Boss.
Wave 10 – Three groups of different Monster-types. Two Captains in each group. One Boss.

Jarad's language makes perfect sense to me. The other language did not.

But most importantly, all of you have been very helpful and I understand it clearly now...and for that I am very appreciative.

I truly do like the game, and I thank you for helping me to like it more. As long as I can understand my mission, I am happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian St. Pierre
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
dahak wrote:

Rulebook p46 wrote:

One group per side.

This! Thank you. I eventually figured it out but the way it's is explained in the rule book is terrible. Thanks for making so much clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle David Frost
United States
Apple Valley
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to belabor the point, but can anyone explain the difference (if one exists) between "four sides per type" and "all sides per type?" I can't think of a time that the two would mean something different, so I don't understand why a single wave in the ten would have a different phrase structure than the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wake Zero
msg tools
What does "the mini-boss doesn't appear until wave 5 is cleared" mean?

There is no mini-boss mentioned anywhere else in the quest, or on the tile. Does this simply mean we pick a mini-boss to spawn (Yardu since that's the only one in the base game)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.