Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
[q="hipshot"]

So I was goofing around with Hannibal RvC and had the idea to use GBoH as a battle resolution system, versus the card based system. Seemed like a cool way to generate some 'fun battle'.
The image above is my best guess at TQ ratings over time and the likely mix of forces for each side, all based upon a sampling of force mixes from 2nd Punic War battles.

I need to put some thought into losses back onto the game board of H;RvC and deal with the different theatres effectively.
I saw some chaps playing out a version of this with minis and command & colors Ancients that lead me to be thinking about how to do this with GBoH.

I guess I could as one poster on my blog mentioned: "you could keep track on paper and have newly raised Legions be green, award regular and elite status based on the results of the battles themselves. You could even keep track of the age of units and ‘muster out’ aged legions and replace them with greener ones. Another way to dilute them is to use losses – if an elite unit loses lots of men, it merges with a lesser unit and loses its eliteness."

I don't need a 'full bore solution', just an approximation, any thoughts from resident experts is welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools

Final setup.
Full details:
http://bigboardgaming.com/test-using-gboh-for-hannibal-rvc-f...

I am wondering if Hanno should not have more PH? Seems mighty thin, and not an ideal mix of forces.

Thus I may change the Standard % up even more, I doubled it from 9% to 18, I think 25% of teh army will need to be PH or HI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea very much! One of the missed opportunities of tactical wargaming in general is the opportunity to follow up on battles if they had gone the other way. The GBoH army creator matrix needs to be updated. It gives a point system for balance. It is a good starting point if you are trying to create a certain situation but want to place limits on forces available: http://patriot.net/~townsend/cgi-bin/ArmyForm.pl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hicks
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kev,
This is a great idea. I love both SPQR and H:RvsC. This would be kind of a manual Rome:total War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
TonysWar wrote:
Kev,
This is a great idea. I love both SPQR and H:RvsC. This would be kind of a manual Rome:total War.

Exactly!
I'm also looking at using Hellenes & Hoplite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hicks
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
TonysWar wrote:
Kev,

Exactly!
I'm also looking at using Hellenes & Hoplite

You are a veritable fountain of good ideas. I love Hellenes also. Haven't yet bought Hoplite but it is on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to do the same thing but for The Ancient World series. The dead patriot.net website had a good army cost calculator. If those games ever get released, I will implement a way of translating strength points into armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.