Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: leveling up too slow? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gameplayer guy
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best part of RPG video games is the rapid frequency of leveling up. I played through a few games of PACG and leveling up is a very slow go. I and others feel that, if the characters grew more powerful at a more rapid pace, we would play more often.

I was thinking about marking up the cards (oh the humanity!) to give the base set some sense of progression. I would do this by making some cards much stronger (including monsters/ villains as well as the weapons, spells, etc). I would pull out the newly powerful cards until the later scenarios, spiking a few of the more powerful cards into each adventure. Also thinking about a way to increase character traits for one or two characters after each scenario.

Has anyone else considered (or created) a system like this using just the base set?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path with all six of the Adventure decks will have 30 scenarios in addition to the 3 from Perils of the Coast, I think if characters advance any faster they would have little room for growth later in the series.

Having played through all the currently available adventures (23), I think we've advanced pretty well and yet still have advances we want and look forward to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reynolds
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It seems from your comment that you have only played a few games. You will notice as you play more scenarios that the leveling works pretty well and keeps a good game balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thefub wrote:
It seems from your comment that you have only played a few games. You will notice as you play more scenarios that the leveling works pretty well and keeps a good game balance.

Plus, IRL RPGs like the Pathfinder RPG usually have slow leveling. The card game is based on an IRL RPG not a video game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that if you pursue this path we will next hear from you with the "PACG is way too easy, I'm giving up" complaint. Don't do it, the designers and developers spent more time on balance than you will on designing your accelerated levelling system. And they did their balance across multiple Adventures with info available that you don't yet have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And keep in mind that your character becomes considerably stronger not only by ticking new boxes on your character card but also by acquiring new and more effective cards which generally happens more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panahs Sainis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
What they said!

Plus you havent played some good video game RPGS

Try Baldurs Gate 1 ! In the 50+ hours its takes you to beat it you go from Level 1 to approximetly 8

In Baldurs Gate 2 you go from 8 to -if I remember correctly- 17 in a 100+ hours game!

RPGs are not all about leveling up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You "level up" after each scenario, with what the "level up" effect is changing each time.

In addition to splitting up any boon you acquired during the scenario, at the end you level up and gain a bonus.

How is that slow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gameplayer guy
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I have in mind is something more like Descent 2, where the XP you gain can be used to upgrade your character somewhat significantly. After you play 4 games, you've advanced quite a bit in Descent, but not so much so with PACG.

I understand your points about the gradual progression being more like a RPG than a video game. I guess I'm looking for a way to create a "video game variant"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fredin
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you had a second option for a reward where you could trade in one card from deck of equal power (basic,elite,non specified) of a different card type. It would be like trading in the extra things you aquire you don't need for something you would want.

Another idea is that you get points for each monster you kill depending on strength, henchman, or villian. Then you could spend those points to trade a card from your deck for a better card in the box of the same type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panahs Sainis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
Well I was also thinking of a variant that would make the game a little more competitive among the players...

A point system of sorts lets say adding the points of something you aquired gaining points for helping but the one that recieves the help losses some etc

That would make characters abit more selfish... a bit more realistic if you could say

However I am really enjoying the game as it is right now so... I play by the book

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
PACG is a marathon - not a sprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
PACG is a marathon - not a sprint.

PAGC is a good book in a comfy chair by the fireplace with a glass of brandy, definitely not a race nor an effort of any kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.