Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I'm the only one obsessed with learning to teach board games properly, but recently I've taken to writing scripts to teach games in my collection to new players. Even though I'm familiar with the rules and have played the games several times, I find that I can get all muddled up and flustered when trying to explain them to someone else, and that's no fun for anyone. So I write these scripts in an effort to organize my thoughts and present everything clearly. I've got about a dozen of them now.

It's been brought to my attention that other people might find them useful, too. Plus, I would certainly appreciate feedback on how I can improve. What would be the best way to share these (or perhaps just one to start with ) on BGG? As a file upload to the relevant game? As some sort of blog post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have a script for teaching new gamers.

I start off by explaining some rules to them, and then one of the other three jackasses who didn't want to explain the rules will jump in and remind me about the next rule I was just about to say. Then when I explain that one, another of the jackasses will make sure to explain the obscure exception that only comes up in certain circumstances, despite the fact that even understanding how that exception arises would require an understanding of concepts I haven't even gotten to yet.

Then when I finally finish explaining the rules and we're all set up and ready to start, the third jackass will suddenly realize he needs to go to the bathroom.

It's a pretty smooth system once you get the hang of it. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Brulet
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see them. I think either a file upload or forum post on the games page would be the best place.

I am one of those people that usually abandons rule explaining after I fumble it for a few minutes and then end up teaching as we play.

I know how to play my games, but have trouble explaining it in a logical pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that leaving my teenage son at home will solve most of those problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
File upload, certainly.

Maybe also have a GeekList compiling all the games you've done scripts for. This way, if you develop a fan-base, people can subscribe to see whenever you add a new script. People often do this for video reviews.

Thanks for the contributions!
I know I can get flustered when I teach games. My train of thought goes in several directions and I jump around too much. A script would be very useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJacobsen159 wrote:
File upload, certainly.

Maybe also have a GeekList compiling all the games you've done scripts for. This way, if you develop a fan-base, people can subscribe to see whenever you add a new script. People often do this for video reviews.

This is exactly what I've done: Game Teaching Notes by iklinck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
This is exactly what I've done: Game Teaching Notes by iklinck

It seems we had a very similar idea! In fact, I suspect your notes for Race for the Galaxy was one of the items I consulted when I was coming up with a script for myself. I'm glad to see there are more you've done.

I don't have a lot of overlap with what you've already covered, but there are a couple games in your geeklist I have scripts for. What is the BGG etiquette for this situation? Do I only submit files for games that don't appear to have a teaching aid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I encourage you to post all of them.
What you post will certainly help some people, even if it isn't the "best" one.
Feedback may even help you improve your scripts.
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.