chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, im trying to learn this game so when me and my friends get together this wkd we can play it, and get into it a but faster..

I read the rules and im confussed about something.. whats the difference between the "treasure card" deck and the "adventure treasure card" deck? on the adventure 2 it told me to take the icon of ravenloft out of treasure deck (i finally noticed is on the adventure treasure deck) and the shufftle the treasure deck..
what do i do withthe adventure treasure deck? mix them together? the back of the card is completly different.. put it aside???

and to notice the "component of the game" listed 50 treasure cards, no mention of adventure cards separtely... i count them: 10 adventure treasure cards, and 40 treasure cards.. :S i look all over the booklet, it doesnt seem to make a distiction among them.. but then, WHY would they make the back face dufference colors, imo that is just silly

thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure treasure cards are only used when the scenario requires it. If the specific scenario doesn't mention it, then you put these cards aside and ignore them. An example is the icon of ravenloft that you already mentioned.

The treasure cards are used in each game. At the beginning of the game, each hero gets one item card drawn at random from the treasure card deck. If the card you draw is not an item, then you draw again until you get an item. During play, every time you kill a monster, you will draw a card from the treasure card deck.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh wow thx so much
that helps a lot, and the rules doesnt seem to specified that is "item treasure" just say take a treasure card and shufftle the rest.. THANKS

also.. pry silly, but though i confirm: when they say you can "make two moves" as one of ur options in the hero turn; they mean u use ur speed twice? e.g. my fighter has speed 5, so if i choose to movetwice i get to move 10 squares? (just wondering bc starting the game there is no much to do, or space to go to, so in case im misreading this)

thx again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, you can choose to move 5 spaces twice (so 10 spaces) if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
(just wondering bc starting the game there is no much to do, or space to go to, so in case im misreading this)

Manukajoe already answered your main question but re this point - yeah, the first turn of the game doesn't see much happen. All you do is move the first hero to explore an edge and then get ready for the pain as the monster will attack you first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but is UP to 10 spaces.. e.g i could move 8?

sorry for the question that might look quite obvious for most of you just making sure i have most stuff settle for when we play

ps this game so far is looking awesome, cant wait to play it with others... right next to zombicide now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
chang_1910 wrote:
(just wondering bc starting the game there is no much to do, or space to go to, so in case im misreading this)

Manukajoe already answered your main question but re this point - yeah, the first turn of the game doesn't see much happen. All you do is move the first hero to explore an edge and then get ready for the pain as the monster will attack you first.

lol... glad i took the fighter ahead.. lol

Jokemeister wrote:
chang_1910 wrote:

Correct.

thx again

PS i love this community
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmmm.... so ... so far under the tactic of the monster when it said to move it, it would go "it moves adjacent to the closest hero.." but i run into the rats and it said to move it to the "closest hero title and attack all heroes there" i did so..
Now i got the wraith, which move adjacent to me and attack; but the "otherwise" tactics (which i dont particular see happening, bc i would have to run far so im not within 1 title, and once she is next to me i better try to kill her.. lol) anyway, the otherwise reads: "moves 1 title toward the closest hero"

so i better make sure im moving monster in between titles right.. do u just move them from one pile of bones or the square they were standing (if they were adjancent to a hero in the preview turn) to the pile of bons in that title?
i tried watching a clip, he never get this monsters..lol.. he is mixing all dd boardgame @.@
thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
hmmmm.... so ... so far under the tactic of the monster when it said to move it, it would go "it moves adjacent to the closest hero.." but i run into the rats and it said to move it to the "closest hero title and attack all heroes there" i did so..
Now i got the wraith, which move adjacent to me and attack; but the "otherwise" tactics (which i dont particular see happening, bc i would have to run far so im not within 1 title, and once she is next to me i better try to kill her.. lol) anyway, the otherwise reads: "moves 1 title toward the closest hero"

so i better make sure im moving monster in between titles right.. do u just move them from one pile of bones or the square they were standing (if they were adjancent to a hero in the preview turn) to the pile of bons in that title?
i tried watching a clip, he never get this monsters..lol.. he is mixing all dd boardgame @.@
thx

Correct, monsters generally move from tile to tile and onto the pile of bones. If the pile of bones already has a monster, then it moves adjacent to the pile of bones.

Exceptions are when the monster moves adjacent to the hero to attack.

By the way, you can try watching this Watch it played of Wrath of Ashardalon (it uses the same rules as Castle Ravenloft). In addition to learning the rules, the series is also very entertaining - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbY_p2Zb3Y
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome thx.. i m having issues on how to move monsters, e.g now i came to noticed that when it says move adjacent to the closest hero..

1. so far i have bring the monster to the title the closest hero to him was on... im suppose to do so right?

VS

2. moving him to the square at edge of the title next to the hero (that is thr closest to him)..

the difference is in option 1 it goes INTO the title of that hero, in option 2 it stay in WITHIN one title of that hero..

thx.. i ll watch that clip, bc i think this guy is cheating as well.. lol.. he did not move that skellies adjacent to closest hero, he put it inbetween the closest and one that was like 3 square behind.. :S

EDIT oh yea, i watch this guy before ... he is awesome, i think i learn legendary with him thx, i didnt have him on marks anymore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the card says to move the monster adjacent to the closest hero, there is no requirement that the monster move onto your tile. Perfectly valid to keep the monster on its own tile but at the edge so that its adjacent to you.

Some people place the monsters so that their position is advantageous to the players. Some people treat the monsters as intelligent and place them so that their position is advantageous to the monsters. Also seen plays where the monsters are treated as "dumb" and placement is just on the closest square to their original position that meets the cards criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx a bunch... watch it play should help a LOT..

if i still have questions after watching the clips.. is gonna take a while..lol.. i ll come back and bug u guys again.. thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
after watching up to turn 9.. he doesnt seem to explain smt or im completely missing it.

some treasure cards e.g. from my deck (he also played a similar card on the video)

item: thieves tools
play this item immediately
you gain a +4 bonus to rolls to disable traps while this item is in play.

Q1: until when is this card "in play"? forever? till my hero die? it doesnt say discard after use, which woulndt make sense bc it would be a waste.
Q2: he explained that you can only have one item that give bonus to ur AC and one to your attack at the time (no 2 affecting the same stat on the same hero for what i understand). BUT beside affecting the same stat, you can have unlimited treasure carss "in play"? or is there a limit u can have active per hero?

another sample
Fortune
action surge
play this fortune immediatly
you can move your speed or make an attack
discard this card after playing it

so here it says when this card ends, but it also tells me to use it as soon as i draw it from treasure deck.. so: i go into a mini extra hero phase and THEN to exploration phase (or villain phase if not on an edge)

the rest of the card seem quite specific as to when and how to use them and discard them

thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Items are played immediately in that you have to immediately give the item to someone. After that, the hero holding the item can use it whenever they like and as often as they like. As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of active items on a hero (subject to the limitation around number of items affecting the same stat which you already mentioned).

The key thing to bear in mind here is that items cannot be traded between heroes. By forcing you to play the item treasure card immediately, it means you can't hold onto the item and wait until you see who will benefit most from the item before giving that item to that hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sweet thx.. the item that were use immediately were confussing the heck out of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The game comes with so much cardboard that isn't actually used. They could have eliminated a good bit of that.

And the rules are abstracted quite a bit(movement and targeting) that sometimes you have to think about it before it makes sense.

But the game works and flows pretty quickly once you get going.

Moving from tile to tile move monsters to bone piles.
It is advantageous to leave the Wraith on is own tile whenever possible,
especially when you know its going to die and cause 1 damage to everyone
on that tile.

One rule we play differently is the Exploration. If the Hero has movement left when reaching an unexplored edge of a tile, we flip the new tile, if it's a white arrow, we count that as Hero advantage. Place the monster and the hero then finish their move and attack(if possible), a black arrow plays per rules written in the rulebook.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx... so far im staying with rulebook. But i see me and myfriends making some gose rules on this one
i tell u something LOVE the game

the only thing that im probably gonna change is the fact that FORTUNE card cant be given to another hero and needs to be use on the person that draw it. I got a earn 2HP on a character that was full while one was almost dead. But i ll wait to see how it plays once we play with more heroes / players

EDIT almost forgot the reason why i came..lol... i dont understand the "squeezing" ability for large/huge monster.

eg. how dracolith would be position in a hallway tile?
W - wall, F - floor space, D - dracolith
TILE empty

WWWW
FFFF
FFFF
WWWW

with dracolith
WDDD
FDDD
FDDD
WWWW

????
that leave the title with no space for any other monster, or hero. and all heroes are block.

im looking into this adventure (#8) and adv 3.. so i need to learn how to move the big monsters.. all forums have a big discussion but no clear say what squeezing actually is.
thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone?? cry

we are playing in a few hours.. and i still dont get the "squeezing" i google it, try to find youtube videos, read fourums T_T and adv 3 has a big villain cry

thx for any orientation on this.. if not i guess there comes my 1st house rule.. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
chang_1910 wrote:
anyone?? cry

we are playing in a few hours.. and i still dont get the "squeezing" i google it, try to find youtube videos, read fourums T_T and adv 3 has a big villain cry

thx for any orientation on this.. if not i guess there comes my 1st house rule.. lol

I thought I saw more detail on the question of "squeezing" but all I can find at the moment is here.
LoD Rulebook, page 16 FAQ wrote:
Dark Chasm/Underground River
The squares of the chasm or river are impassable to figures with bases
that occupy only 1 square; you cannot place a figure in those squares
or move one through them, only the bridge squares. A larger figure,
such as Errtu or a Feral Troll, can occupy such a square as
long as the figure is also on at least 1 bridge square. A
Hero cannot use an effect to place a Monster in a chasm
or river square unless the adventure specifically
allows it.

The (house)rule I play (for large based figures that cover 4 squares) is that as long as the base covers one legal square, then the figure can be placed. In general, we place the figure such that the base covers as many legal squares as possible but I guess that could be abused. For the huge figures (that cover 9 squares) then the centre square of the base needs to be placed on a legal square.

If a figure blocks squares, then it blocks squares. If you need to place a large/huge monster on a tile that has monsters or Heroes, then as long as the base covers at least one or more squares of the appropriate tile then it's OK. It is possible that all squares on a tile are covered or maybe it isn't possible to place a (large or huge based) figure on a tile (due to the position of existing monsters / Heroes) then I would place it as close to that tile as possible.

The rulebook (CR rulebook, page 8) mentions that figures can be placed such that they cover multiple tiles. In fact, the picture on page 8 gives an example of the Dracolich squeezing as its base covers two wall squares (the squares to the east and south-east of its base).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx for your reply...
we are kind of using that official rule of the center of the base in one square as we can, mixed with a weird house rule...

the problem with that example is that the area is big... but what if the dracolith needs to place / advance toward the corner on the lower right? or even if it needs to move to the tile with a corner on its rights on that picture?

we put it following the rule of the center as long as they were enough squares to do so.. if not e.g in 2 hallway title next to each other we put it so that there is at least one line of square for hero or monsters to pass, even if this meant dracolith half was out of the dungeon or passing the wall to the other side, and in the latest we count that it was affecting the titles that she was facing (as if it was standing on the top of the wall breathing down) bc if not it would affect titles on both side of the wall, as if it could pass tru walls, which made no sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
chang_1910 wrote:
the problem with that example is that the area is big... but what if the dracolith needs to place / advance toward the corner on the lower right? or even if it needs to move to the tile with a corner on its rights on that picture?

If the Dracolith is in a corridor (such as shown in the bottom right of the picture on page 8 of the CR rulebook) then you would place him on the bone pile as normal (i.e. the center square of its base covers the bone pile). Six squares of its base would block the passage and the other three squares of its base would cover a wall. It would block movement for Heroes but it would not block movement for other monsters.

I'm not really sure why you think you should allow space for Heroes to get past it, if you do that then clearly the Dracolith would not be centered on a valid space. If it blocks movement for Heroes then it blocks movement for Heroes.

How you play is up to you, it's your game and if you get more fun that way then fine. But if you want to add house-rules then you will have to sort out how to implement them yourself
chang_1910 wrote:
we put it following the rule of the center as long as they were enough squares to do so.. if not e.g in 2 hallway title next to each other we put it so that there is at least one line of square for hero or monsters to pass, even if this meant dracolith half was out of the dungeon or passing the wall to the other side, and in the latest we count that it was affecting the titles that she was facing (as if it was standing on the top of the wall breathing down) bc if not it would affect titles on both side of the wall, as if it could pass tru walls, which made no sense

Maybe it would help if you remember that monster movement uses an abstract model. The monsters do not move from square to square to get from A to B like the Heroes do. The game moves the monsters from tile to tile, they do not have to move around corners or squeeze through narrow passageways. You move a Monster to a specific square on a tile, usually a bone pile or adjacent to a Hero, how it gets there isn't covered in the rules and doesn't need to be as the movement is abstract.

Again, I don't see the problem if a figure blocks a passageway. It works thematically that a large monster (such as a Dracolith) would block the Heroes from moving past. In game terms, if you want to get past then you will need to make sure the monster has to move during the Villain Phase to a new location such as it then allows the Heroes to move where they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh wow.. THANK YOU!!! that helps a lot!! i dont know why i though that it needed to leave a passage, because if not monster would not be able to move and it would create a traffic jam. But you are right >> monster would not be block by him as heroes are not block by an hero; and if a hero is block by a monster then oh well poor hero should have planned better.. lol

we won this one after 2 tries, but we gonna try it again later now following this rule, makes much more sense.. I KNEW i was doing something wrong... whistle .. lol

thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Jokemeister wrote:
Adventure treasure cards are only used when the scenario requires it. If the specific scenario doesn't mention it, then you put these cards aside and ignore them. An example is the icon of ravenloft that you already mentioned.

The use of adventure treasure cards like the Icon of Ravenloft is clear. But really, the adventure book SHOULD have specifically stated that it's an adventure treasure card, which it doesn't (not in mine anyway). It's ridiculously wrong when the writer of the rules expects you to look through 200 cards in a game (600 with all three games) to find out that cards like the Icon of Ravenloft is an adventure treasure card. Both the rulebook and the adventure book state what to include but not what to exclude. Especially in cases like this, that's not just poor ruling, it's horribly ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.