Gamer Fergy

Burlingame
California
msg tools
Just to confirm, when you defeat a henchman---you don't HAVE to attempt to close the location, do you? The reason I'd like to do this, on occasion, is to continue to explore a location that has some good boons.

From the rulebooK: "When you defeat a henchman from a location deck, you may immediately attempt to close that location by fulfilling that location’s When Closing requirement (see Closing a Location on page 13)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. You do not have to attempt to close the location when you defeat the henchman. In that case you can't make another attempt until you empty the location deck. So you need to think carefully if all those lost turns are worth whatever treasure you might find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Link
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Back off, man! I'm a Scientist!
badge
All hail El Goblino!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. "May" implies a choice.

My first time ninja Kudos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes there is no choice, isn't there? I mean, using for instance one character, the test for closing the location may not be possible, because the character has not the sufficient skill levels to realistically be able to close the location. Am I correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zebulon_ wrote:
Sometimes there is no choice, isn't there? I mean, using for instance one character, the test for closing the location may not be possible, because the character has not the sufficient skill levels to realistically be able to close the location. Am I correct?

You're still allowed to try and close the location (maybe to recharge some cards for "free") even if you're sure you're going to fail.

But yes, closing a location might be impossible for you (unless you defeat the villain at that location).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never not attempted to close a location after beating a henchman. There might be good boons but they might just as well be basic crap, Schroedinger's Boons. If the extra turns for going through the rest of the stack to finally close the location ended up costing the victory and you got just crap boons yuk . I'd rather miss out on one or two good boons and win than lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
I've never not attempted to close a location after beating a henchman. There might be good boons but they might just as well be basic crap, Schroedinger's Boons. If the extra turns for going through the rest of the stack to finally close the location ended up costing the victory and you got just crap boons yuk . I'd rather miss out on one or two good boons and win than lose.

I agree. I always attempt the close. My philosophy: the good loot will come in time; no reason to risk losing the game over the possibility of nicer things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm personally greedy sometimes. Especially if I encounter a henchman early at the Academy. Even more so if I'm Ezren. It hasn't cost us a scenario yet, but it has occasionally made things stressful. I figure that when it does cost us, it will help me learn a valuable life lesson about being greedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
I'm personally greedy sometimes. Especially if I encounter a henchman early at the Academy. Even more so if I'm Ezren. It hasn't cost us a scenario yet, but it has occasionally made things stressful. I figure that when it does cost us, it will help me learn a valuable life lesson about being greedy.

Actual lesson learned "But guys, check out these sweet spells I've got, and no one died, we just have to play it again". Our group seems to split between always close and 'well, we've killed all but one bane, and there's still 4 boons, churn instead'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha!

Well, I should say, I always discuss my decisions with the group to make sure everyone is on board.

There is also a big advantage to close a location "early" if you've started Hook Mountain Massacre: you get to remove the cards with Basic trait that are banished when you close the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just say that I've closed down the Temple (which has IIRC nothing but the Henchman or Villain, no monsters and no barriers) even if flipping the Henchman as the first card. And would do so any time such an event occurs in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
I'll just say that I've closed down the Temple (which has IIRC nothing but the Henchman or Villain, no monsters and no barriers) even if flipping the Henchman as the first card. And would do so any time such an event occurs in the future.

Yeah, that is another place where I tend to get greedy.

I'll evaluate the number of turns left and how many other locations are already closed against what might be in there. But I'm not adverse to taking a risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Beighley, Jr.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only location, off the top of my head, where I'll grind by choice is the Academy. There just aren't that many spell heavy locations early on playing 3 player groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Fergy

Burlingame
California
msg tools
Great comments all. Yes, that's right, going for the extra boons is cool....stressful...teaches lessons....and fun too! Going down to the wire I had some fun making sure my guys didn't die too. I like that this adds 1 more decision making element to the game. As Mike says, "this is a game about decisions, consequences, and living with consequences."

Last point, if you play with house rules that make the game more challenging, you might need to go for those easier boons (so you have good stuff for later, even stronger banes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Lavin
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all, this is a point I've been trying to wrap my head around recently.

Let us say that you encounter a Bandit henchman at the Waterfront. You defeat the Bandit, and are now given the option to close the location. The Waterfront states that when closing you must summon and defeat a Bandit.

So in this case one character would have to personally kill 2 Bandit Henchman to close the location? Or forfeit closing and empty the remainder of the deck?

If you loose the combat with the summoned Bandit, does he get shuffled into the location?

If there are multiple characters at the location, can one character go into combat with the encountered Bandit and another character attempt the close and combat the summoned one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes.

No. Summoned monsters always go back to the box.

No. When the cards direct you to do something, you have to be the one to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.