Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Following up on the 'Wargame Rules "Best Practices"?' thread.

What are the "good" or "best" wargames that eventually turn out to be enjoyable to play, yet have rules that are are poorly written and thus manage to make games seem more complicated then they really are.

Advanced Tobruk, Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes, and Here I Stand are examples of games that for me are not really that complicated, but initially seem convoluted because of poor layout or wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Not really a "worst" practice; printing them on glossy paper is not something I care for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Failure to proofread and failure to number and index are pretty problematic in my book...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, the worst general practice is a lack of examples of play, followed by incorrect examples of play. I understand doing a good example is hard, but it can really pay dividends, especially with new or unusual game mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to mention: Abbreviating every third word drives me up the wall.yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
Following up on the 'Wargame Rules "Best Practices"?' thread.

What are the "good" or "best" wargames that eventually turn out to be enjoyable to play, yet have rules that are are poorly written and thus manage to make games seem more complicated then they really are.

Advanced Tobruk, Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes, and Here I Stand are examples of games that for me are not really that complicated, but initially seem convoluted because of poor layout or wording.

HIS is definitely complicated. It isn't as bad as movement for, say, Wilderness War, but it is pretty complicated. Part of it is because all 6 players are doing enormously different things, so they cram all the exceptions into each section of rules. Maybe that's what you're talking about. I prefer the rules to be laid out that way, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My shorthand for wargame rules worst practices - Fresno Gaming Association. They wrote the book on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
Not really a "worst" practice; printing them on glossy paper is not something I care for.
Curious to know why you and others don't like glossy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
Really, the worst general practice is a lack of examples of play, followed by incorrect examples of play. I understand doing a good example is hard, but it can really pay dividends, especially with new or unusual game mechanics.
I despair at errors that get past proofreading, and incorrect examples of play are at the top of the list. It's like the designer doesn't even know how to play his or her own game. Really inexcusable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no index is high on my list of worst practices
assuming the reader has experience with wargames or any games for that matter is also not good.

One of the first games I bought really is simple to play, but because it was first, I had no familiarity with the general concepts. the author assumed the reader did, it was very frustrating for a while.
I guess most gamers have all of these general mechanisms down pretty well and don't want to have to read lots of noobie stuff, but it might help make the hobby more accessible.

Interestingly Fields of Fire was the second game in my collection. Before purchase, I read the rulebook and because I had no pre conceived ideas, the general idea made lots of sense. Execution was a little rough, but at least I understood what the aim was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
Wilhammer wrote:

My clammy hands. If my hands are sweaty, my fingers stick to the glossy pages. Glossy paper reacts worse to moisture than regular paper, and just generally seems more fragile to me. My glossy rulebooks always look much worse after an initial playthrough of a game, with its frequent rules-browsing, than the non-glossy rulebooks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nesting a rule that should have its own number inside another numbered rule. Nesting a rule in an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
My shorthand for wargame rules worst practices - Fresno Gaming Association. They wrote the book on it.

Actually, they didn't. They expected you to write your own book on it, they just supplied the map and counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Actually, they didn't. They expected you to write your own book on it, they just supplied the map and counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't find the Here I Stand rulebook too horrible. I do think that an index would have been nice. I have never looked at Advanced Tobruk or Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes, so I can't comment on those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
Wilhammer wrote:

For me, it's the occasional glare when trying to read it.

But I'd rather have glossy rulebooks than glossy counters. As much as I'm a fan of the old Avalon Hill, I really disliked their glossy counters, as they're far more prone to have their ink wear off than other counter types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
Wilhammer wrote:

Part of it is the glare, but mostly it's because war games are notorious for the amount of errata that seems to pop up and it's easier to pencil in the updates if the paper isn't glossy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:
no index is high on my list of worst practices

I find an incomplete index more annoying than no index at all. And too many rule book indexes are incomplete, in my experience. I'm currently playing 1914: Offensive à outrance, and while the rules aren't bad, I found the "Important Terms and Concepts" section pretty useless: no reference to Areas of Attachment, Siege Artillery, Rail Movement, or Strategic Plans, all of which are important and have their own sections in the rules.

My other Pet Peeve (24.5) is the Use (7.34) of Unnecessary Capitalization (67.43) and Cross-references (2.9) which make the Rules (1.0) Difficult (4.3(a)) to Read (8.6).

Unnatural capitalization, which in English means anything other than the first word in a sentence and proper nouns, actually makes writing more difficult to process and comprehend. A little common sense goes a long way here: I think we can all understand what attacker, defender, fortress, or movement means without the words always presented in upper case to show they have a specific meaning in the game.

And if you write a rule that references six other rules, it's time to re-write the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Snowman wrote:
Wilhammer wrote:

Part of it is the glare, but mostly it's because war games are notorious for the amount of errata that seems to pop up and it's easier to pencil in the updates if the paper isn't glossy.

Wrong porosity? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Too much attention to nailing everything down precisely.
This often ends up verbose, and only prevents rules' lawyers
(whom I would rather not play with usually) from abusing the
design. It interferes with the initial comprehension.

Seconding the glossy - for reasons given (water resistance, glare, and unable to
mark up with pencil). However, they do resist tobacco stained
fingers better.

Programmed Instruction - this almost always is just more of a burden
than whatever benefit it gives. Most games, I want to play right off
in full. Those I absolutely need to push some counters around on can do
with an introductory scenario which tells me what rules to read - and
if anything needs to be simplified from the main game, it should be a
special rule for the scenario. Don't fuck up my reference book; I'm
going to need it if I play more than you're intro scenario.

Fully procedural rules - if you ain't telling me why something is the
way it is, or why I'd want to use it, it's like trying to learn cooking
from recipes. Or programming from code examples. Just ain't the way my
brain works.

Color, highlighting, too many fonts, and lots of images - this just distracts.
If you need to put examples, sidebar them and relegate them so they don't
mess with the reference work.

Big walls of text - GDW was the worst at this, but GMT seems to prefer
this 'across the page' format. It just makes things harder to find somehow.

Insufficient numbering and references - even if numbers aren't referenced,
they help break up logical partitions nicely. Each numbering should
only be a few sentences preferably. That way, if they are referenced into
(and they should be wherever they help understand) you can find what
you're looking for. I don't want to have to read half a page to try
and find the particular sentence that you're referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Belz wrote:
I didn't find the Here I Stand rulebook too horrible.

so its ok for a $70-90 game to be "not too horrible". If a rulebook is a little horrible due to complexity then it should have solid work examples shouldn't it? Or if its a little horrible because it is un finished or poorly proofed or poorly laid out it is ok?

We have an expanding universe of choices. That is fast becoming a double edged sword for gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Snowman wrote:
Wilhammer wrote:

Wrong porosity? ninja

Clay is used to make glossy paper, so it not as flexible as standard paper.

Hate glossy rule books. Hate glossy maps. Hate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
No index.

Weird ass fonts/highlighting/putting rule text over fluff images (sorry VPG I love you guys outside of this)

No simple up front explanation of what the game is and how it flows (GMT has been guilty of omitting this)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Hungadunga wrote:

Hate glossy rule books. Hate glossy maps. Hate.

Hate is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
calandale wrote:
Fully procedural rules - if you ain't telling me why something is the
way it is, or why I'd want to use it, it's like trying to learn cooking
from recipes. Or programming from code examples.

You prefer functional rules, or object-oriented rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.