United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone recommend something other than Acrobat for printing the Myth PDFs? I just got mine today and I'm taking it to a boardgame meetup this weekend so I'm printing a slew of stuff to take with me. Unfortunately, the text comes out horribly when I print them. Is it adobe or the PDF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are you referring to the PDFs that are on the megacon website? If you are, they printed wonderfully for me and I would be concerned with a printer or software setting you have on your computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There and the ones here. I print from Acrobat and its set to "actual size". There's nothing weird about my settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the text is all messed up it's because it's using a Font type that is not embedded into the PDF and your computer doesn't have.

If your computer doesn't have the font type used in the file, then it doesn't matter what PDF viewer you use--your computer doesn't have that font.

There are 2 ways to "fix" this.
Go to the PDF's document properties: File menu > Document Properties.
Then go to the 'Fonts' tab and look at the fonts used in the PDF.
Any font that says "(Embedded Subset)" should display fine because they are embedded into the PDF without requiring the font on your computer.

So look for any font type that doesn't say "(Embedded Subset)". Hopefully it will be a common enough font type that's free.
Then do an internet search for that font and install it onto your computer.

If it's not a free font that you can get, the other solution requires a bit more work depending on the text layout in the document, and requires you to have the full Acrobat program to edit PDF files. The free Acrobat Reader version has no edit capabilities.

If you have the full Acrobat program, use the Touchup Text tool to select the text that's using the unknown font, right-click on the selection, open up the Properties. Go to the Text tab, and change the Font to something that your computer does have.
You have to do this one page at a time, and depending on the layout on the page, you may have to do this one each section at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have Photoshop you can also open PDFs there (each page will be its own image) and be able to print them that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
If the text is all messed up it's because it's using a Font type that is not embedded into the PDF and your computer doesn't have.

If this is the case, the text would be all messed up in the PDF as well right? I'm assuming that he thinks its messed up b/c the print out doesn't look like his PDF.

You could try printing the PDF as an image. Click the Advanced button once you've got the print dialog opened. This is just a guess though.

Have you tried printing any other PDFs to see if the same thing happens? It could be a corrupted printer driver, or Adobe install.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great replies so far, thanks for the help. The text just looks scrunched, like the margins are too big and its shrinking the gap between the words to accommodate, yet I'm printing it "actual size" according to the print properties. There's a fair amount of white on either side of the paper when I print it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any other help with this? Can't seem to get a good PDF print out. Fonts look fine in the PDF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Any other help with this? Can't seem to get a good PDF print out. Fonts look fine in the PDF.
Did you check out the font advice? Do you have all the necessary fonts?

Have you done a page setup (that is what it is called on a Mac, I do not recall what it is called on a Win/Linux OS)? I occasionally have to do that to get a PDF to print properly (mostly has to do with page fit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Did you check out the font advice? Do you have all the necessary fonts?

Have you done a page setup (that is what it is called on a Mac, I do not recall what it is called on a Win/Linux OS)? I occasionally have to do that to get a PDF to print properly (mostly has to do with page fit).

All fonts are embedded. Not sure what you mean by a page setup. What happens when you do this in Mac? Maybe I can back trace it to something similar on Windows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It helps Acrobat (or whatever software you are using) figure out what printer margins to actually use rather than assume. This helps with things like page scaling (which can affect fonts).

It turns out that it is called "Page Setup" and is located in the Acrobat Reader Print dialog (in windows 8).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which .pdf are you trying to print specifically? Can you link me to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, for some reason my wife set print quality to fast and it was costing me detail. The small print of the PDFs combined with crappy print quality made it unreadable. I set it to Best and got clear prints. Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.