Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's get this out of the way first, I'm psyched.

OK... To business.

Six boards at a rough estimate requires 6 axis armies and six allies.
Given the makeup of Operation Neptune that is 6 German armies, 1 Canadian (let's use the French from the Equipment Pack here) army, 2 British armies and 3 US armies.

And 6 breakthrough decks!

I have 3 base sets and all the army packs etc. that leaves me 3 German armies and a British army short. Oh, and 5 breakthrough decks. And some dice...

I notice that Days Of Wonder sell standard card decks at 5 bucks a set.

Dear Days Of Wonder, please start selling the breakthrough decks separately. I'll take 5. And I'll take 3 axis armies while you are at it. And some dice.

Don't make me use Soviet and Japanese armies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
littleidiot wrote:
1 Canadian (let's use the French from the Equipment Pack here) army

Let's not! I know you're trying to save some money here, but come on, man. Come on. Man. shake

And until we know how many Terrain Pack pieces and Equipment Pack figures are needed across six maps, you might be in for multiples of those as well, so throw in one more Med too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would prefer if DoW sold a mega set with everything you need to play this. I don't want to fiddle around mixing and matching decks and soldiers and dice. Give me the whole enchilada in one slick package. When I round up 12 (?) guys and launch D-Day, I want the whole experience nicely packaged. I will happily pay a small fortune for this. Sure it will sit on the shelf most of the time. But, like all things military, you'll be really happy you have it when you really, really need it. The last thing I want to do is unpack every frigging M44 thing I own.

Days of Wonder, please give me this option. If you can make a killing selling this, all the power to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools

So, when DoW says to play you'll need:

1 copy of base game
Terrain Pack
Equipment Pack
Winter Wars
(Mediterranean Theater - optional)

It's pretty much assumed that's bogus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cannone
Italy
Cerignola
Foggia
flag msg tools
Oh yeah!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I earn much more...I also have a copy of ITALERI/AIRFIX WWII nations...what I will need is only more card deck...but I assume we can proxy them ... all we need is a volonteer to make a pdf

BUT....but...but.... I am pretty sure we will see some rules and maybe some new cards to play them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seahawk wrote:

1 copy of base game
Terrain Pack
Equipment Pack
Winter Wars

That is not what they say, what they say is:
Quote:
At least one original copy of Memoir'44 is required to play, as well as the Terrain Pack, Equipment Pack and Winter Wars expansions. The Mediterranean Theater expansion is also recommended, though not required.

More copies of the base game or expansions are required if you want to play a Double, Triple or Six Map battle.

It starts with "at least", that is what you need if you play one of the six maps. And it concludes saying that you need more copies if you want to make play more maps combined. I think they pretty much say it as it is.

Edit: that is what it says on their website for the product. The part about "more copies are required" is missing from the BGG announcement blog post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratio of allies to axis combatants in Operation Neptune was 156000 to 10000 so maybe we don't need so many axis minis!

Thank you Wikipedia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
bdegroot wrote:
Seahawk wrote:

1 copy of base game
Terrain Pack
Equipment Pack
Winter Wars

That is not what they say, what they say is:
Quote:
At least one original copy of Memoir'44 is required to play, as well as the Terrain Pack, Equipment Pack and Winter Wars expansions. The Mediterranean Theater expansion is also recommended, though not required.

More copies of the base game or expansions are required if you want to play a Double, Triple or Six Map battle.

It starts with "at least", that is what you need if you play one of the six maps. And it concludes saying that you need more copies if you want to make play more maps combined. I think they pretty much say it as it is.

Edit: that is what it says on their website for the product. The part about "more copies are required" is missing from the BGG announcement blog post.

I have seen at least a half dozen announcements and that's the first anyone's said about that "more copies" line.

Having a hard time seeing the value in this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I promised that when I had time I would figure out a more accurate number of sets needed for the D-Day Landings. Here is some information:

Keep in mind that a Base Game of Memoir '44 can field 10 Infantry units with 2 spare figures. Armor and Artillery units are generally not an issue for these maps.

Units that start on each map -
-Sword Beach-
Axis:
Infantry - 10
Armor - 0
Artillery - 4

Allies:
Infantry - 10
Armor - 2
Artillery - 1
Hobart's Funnies - 1
Battle Ship - 1

Map Summary - 1 Base Game required for troops + 1 Med. Expansion for British Figures. 1 Equipment Pack for Hobart's Funnies, SWA units, Artillery, Landing Craft. 1 Terrain pack for badges and tokens. 1 Winter Wars for Breakthrough Deck.

-Juno Beach-
Axis:
Infantry - 10
Armor - 2
Artillery - 3

Allies:
Infantry - 10
Armor - 1
Artillery - 1
Hobart's Funnies - 2
Battle Ship - 1

Map Summary - 1 Base Game required for troops + 1 Med. Expansion for British Figures. 1 Equipment Pack for Hobart's Funnies, SWA units, Artillery, Landing Craft. 1 Terrain pack for badges, tokens and Battle Ship. 1 Winter Wars for Breakthrough Deck.

-Gold Beach-
Axis:
Infantry - 10
Armor - 1
Artillery - 2

Allies:
Infantry - 10
Armor - 1
Artillery - 1
Hobart's Funnies - 2

Map Summary - 1 Base Game required for troops + 1 Med. Expansion for British Figures. 1 Equipment Pack for Hobart's Funnies, SWA units, Artillery, Landing Craft. 1 Terrain pack for badges and tokens. 1 Winter Wars for Breakthrough Deck.

-Omaha Beach-
Axis:
Infantry - 10
Armor - 1
Artillery - 3

Allies:
Infantry - 12
Armor - 4
Artillery - 0
Battle Ship - 1

Map Summary - 2 Base Games required for troops. 1 Equipment Pack for SWA units, Artillery, Landing Craft. 1 Terrain pack for badges, tokens and battle ship. 1 Winter Wars for Breakthrough Deck.

-Utah Beach-
Axis:
Infantry - 11
Armor - 2
Artillery - 3

Allies:
Infantry - 11
Armor - 2
Artillery - 1
Battle Ship - 1

Map Summary - 2 Base Games required for troops. 1 Equipment Pack for SWA units, Artillery, Landing Craft. 1 Terrain pack for badges, tokens and battle ship. 1 Winter Wars for Breakthrough Deck.

-American Airborne-
Axis:
Infantry - 12
Armor - 1
Artillery - 1

Allies:
Infantry - 11
Armor - 0
Artillery - 0

Map Summary - 2 Base Games required for troops. 1 Equipment Pack for SWA units, Artillery. 1 Terrain pack for badges and tokens. 1 Winter Wars for Breakthrough Deck.

Other Notes: It is recommended that players have more troops available to bring in as reinforcements, and some of the units are Supported Armor or Supported Infantry, needing additional figures. As such, the starting number of troops might be a bit higher than the above list seems. But players could use the listed number of expansions for each map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the above numbers, and if players don't want to have extra Infantry troops available for reinforcements, I have a minimum list formed that players would need for each set-up. Again, this is a bare minimum but the extra troops could come from any source (like another Army Pack, other model companies, poker chips, other WWII games, etc.), the cards could come from another place (Overlord or two normal decks), and other items could be proxied if needed.

-Single Maps-
Sword Beach
~ 1 Base Game
~ 1 Terrain Pack
~ 1 Equipment Pack
~ 1 Winter Wars

Juno Beach
~ 1 Base Game
~ 1 Terrain Pack
~ 1 Equipment Pack
~ 1 Winter Wars

Gold Beach
~ 1 Base Game
~ 1 Terrain Pack
~ 1 Equipment Pack
~ 1 Winter Wars

Omaha Beach
~ 2 Base Games
~ 1 Terrain Pack
~ 1 Equipment Pack
~ 1 Winter Wars

Utah Beach
~ 2 Base Games
~ 1 Terrain Pack
~ 1 Equipment Pack
~ 1 Winter Wars

American Airborne
~ 2 Base Games
~ 1 Terrain Pack
~ 1 Equipment Pack
~ 1 Winter Wars

Mode Summary - Any of the Single Map setups could be played if someone owned 2 Base Games, 1 Terrain Pack, 1 Equipment Pack, and 1 Winter Wars (although the two decks from the base game could also be used, eliminating the Winter Wars requirement).

-Double Maps-
Sword/Juno
~ 2 Base Games
~ 1 Terrain Pack (might have enough badges)
~ 1 Equipment Pack (might have enough units)
~ 2 Winter Wars

Juno/Gold
~ 2 Base Games
~ 2 Winter Wars

Gold/Omaha
~ 2 Base Games
~ 2 Winter Wars

Omaha/Utah
~ 2 Base Games
~ 2 Winter Wars

Utah/Airborne
~ 2 Base Games
~ 2 Winter Wars

Mode Summary - The Double-Map setups could probably be played if someone owned 2 Base Games, 1 Terrain Pack, 1 Equipment Pack (though Landing Craft might run low, and 2 Winter Wars (although the Overlord Deck could also be used, eliminating the Winter Wars requirement). To be safe, 2 Base Games and 2 of the other expansions would ensure enough of everything.

-Triple Maps-
Sword/Juno/Gold
~ 3 Base Games
~ 2 Terrain Packs (might have enough badges)
~ 3 Winter Wars

Omaha/Utah/Airborne
~ 4 Base Games
~ 2 Terrain Packs (might have enough badges)
~ 3 Winter Wars

Mode Summary - The Triple-Map setups could be played if someone owned 4 Base Games, 2 Terrain Pack, 1 Equipment Pack (though you'll probably need more Landing Craft from somewhere), and 3 Winter Wars (although 2 Overlord Decks could also be used, along with 2 base decks, eliminating the Winter Wars requirement).

-Six Maps, Operation Neptune-
Normandy Beaches
~ 7 Base Games
~ 4-5 Terrain Packs (might have enough badges)
~ 2-3 Equipment Pack (might have enough units)
~ 6 Winter Wars

Mode Summary - Operation Neptune will require a ton of Infantry units, which is why so many base games are needed. I've calculated that you could probably make do with 7 base games but 8 would be even better and more would give lots of available reinforcements. Again, Landing Craft will be needed for the 5 Landing maps, but those could be subsidized from other expansions you might own, or home-made proxies. The playing decks will require 6 Winter Wars or 12 base decks, or a combination of Breakthrough decks, base decks, and Overlord Decks. Basically each map needs its own deck of some kind.

I hope all of this info helps people figure out what will be required!

Don't forget that you aren't meant to provide everything for the larger battles, and you can always change things to fit what you have access to. Richard's goal is always for people to have fun, so if that means you proxy things, use strange combos of decks, or modify the rules a little bit, he isn't going to mind and nobody will complain. If you're having fun, you can play however you want!

This expansion offers a ton of fun map combinations and should be an amazing way to pull in lots of players. The maps are beautiful, you can see from the picture on Facebook how amazing it looks all set up, and the rules are great. This looks to me like a great Memoir '44 expansion and a wonderful way to remember D-Day this year and for many years to come. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Rasmussen81 has posted the full breakdown of what's required to play the single maps, double-maps (OverThrough), triple-maps, and Operation Neptune:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15266190#15266190

Edit: Orrrrr see above. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
Rasmussen81 has posted the full breakdown of what's required to play the single maps, double-maps (OverThrough), triple-maps, and Operation Neptune:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15266190#15266190

Edit: Orrrrr see above. ninja

cool Beat you to it. I figured this was important enough to re-post in the places where people had asked...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cannone
Italy
Cerignola
Foggia
flag msg tools
Oh yeah!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jesse tell us about badges so that we have everything in control
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding service sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seahawk wrote:
Having a hard time seeing the value in this.

Here is how I see the value.
If I purchase this expansion (granted I own all that is necessary to play a single map), I will now be able to play each map with a friend. Hence, 6 more breakthrough Battlemaps. Plus if we play them as a campaign and keep collective points we have other options. We can also track our scores and consider playing from both sides and have individual winners for each one.
I can have the Operation Neptune experience last for months of play.

So a no brainer for me as I am not only a Memoir '44 fan, but I am appreciative of the sacrifice of many on June 6, 1944. This expansion hopefully helps me and others to relive the history and remember the sacrifice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brazee
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Well, rave on Its a crazy feeling and I know its got me reeling
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse. I want to thank you very much for all the information. You rock!

This has helped me understand what I can do to create a poor mans versions for the 6 map sceranrio if I wanted to.

For others who are wondering this is what I have figured out. If you have 3 Base sets, 3 Operation Overlord and 3 Winter wars you can have enough infantry with 30 US and 26 German extra figures for reinforcements. Also you will have 3 each of each decks (Standard, OL and BT). I am not sure how I would best use the 9 decks for the 6 boards but I am sure it is workable. Also I am not sure how how many reinforcements might be needed though I would guess that would be enough.

You also need 3 Equipment packs to have enough Hobart Funnies.

What I don't know is how many of the Allie units are British. (vs US) So I don't have an estimate on how many Mediterranean expansions you could get by with.

The unknown for me is what badges, tokens are needed from the Terrain expansion.

Finally you have listed battleships (4 of them). What expansion are they from? I don't seem them decsribed anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BuddyHolly wrote:
Jesse. I want to thank you very much for all the information. You rock!

cool Glad to help!

Quote:
What I don't know is how many of the Allie units are British. (vs US) So I don't have an estimate on how many Mediterranean expansions you could get by with.

Sword, Juno, and Gold Beaches are all British beaches, meaning you could use the Med expansion for them. As such, you would need 3 sets to have enough Infantry and maybe a 4th set as reinforcements.

Quote:
The unknown for me is what badges, tokens are needed from the Terrain expansion.

We'll see if I have time to go through and look at all the badges and tokens. It would be kind of a big job, so I'm not sure.

Quote:
Finally you have listed battleships (4 of them). What expansion are they from? I don't seem them decsribed anywhere.

I believe they're actually called Destroyers in Memoir '44. They are available in the Pacific Theater and a few are included in the D-Day Landings expansion. Of course you could use just about anything as Destroyers...

You can find the normal rules for Destroyers on page 9 of the Pacific Theater rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a little bit of time and looked over the maps to see what tokens are needed...here's what I discovered:

-Sword Beach-
Entry Markers ~ 6
Star Tokens ~ 6
Cross-hair Markers ~ 3
Landing Craft ~ 6
Anti Tank SWA ~ 1
Pegasus Badge ~ 9
Big Guns Badge ~ 2
Nebelwrfer ~ 1
British Medals ~ 5

-Juno Beach-
Entry Markers ~ 2
Star Tokens ~ 6
Cross-hair Markers ~ 3
Landing Craft ~ 6
Anti Tank SWA ~ 1
Mortar SWA ~ 1
Machine Gun SWA ~ 1
German Engineer Badge ~ 1
Big Guns Badge ~ 2
Flak 88 ~ 1
German Elite ~ 2
British Medals ~ 2
British Special Forces ~ 1
Destroyer ~ 1

-Gold Beach-
Entry Markers ~ 2
Exit Markers - 4
Star Tokens ~ 2
Landing Craft ~ 6
Machine Gun SWA ~ 1
German Engineer Badge ~ 1
Big Guns Badge ~ 1
Flak 88 ~ 1
German Elite ~ 2
British Medals ~ 4
British Special Forces ~ 1

-Omaha Beach-
Entry Markers ~ 2
Star Tokens ~ 8
Cross-hair Markers ~ 1
Landing Craft ~ 6
Rangers ~ 2
Machine Gun SWA ~ 1
German Elite ~ 1
Destroyer ~ 1

-Utah Beach-
Entry Markers ~ 2
Exit Markers ~ 4
Star Tokens ~ 6
Cross-hair Markers ~ 3
Landing Craft ~ 6
German Elite ~ 2
Big Guns Badge ~ 2
Rangers ~ 3
American Medals ~ 4
Destroyer ~ 1

-American Airborne-
Entry Markers ~ 4
Exit Markers - 2
Star Tokens ~ 3
Cross-hair Markers ~ 1
Airborne Badges ~ 11
Big Guns Badge ~ 1
German Elite ~ 2
American Medals ~ 4

Operation Neptune Note: I don't have the time to figure out how many badges and tokens it would take for all of the map combinations, but if you wanted to play Operation Neptune, and if I've counted right, you would need:

Entry Markers ~ 18
Exit Markers - 10
Star Tokens ~ 31
Cross-hair Markers ~ 8
Landing Craft ~ 30
Anti Tank SWA ~ 2
Mortar SWA ~ 1
Machine Gun SWA ~ 3
German Engineer Badge ~ 2
Big Guns Badge ~ 8
Flak 88 ~ 2
Nebelwrfer ~ 1
German Elite ~ 9
British Medals ~ 11
British Special Forces ~ 2
US Airborne Badges ~ 11
Pegasus Badges ~ 9
German Elite ~ 9
American Medals ~ 8
Destroyers ~ 4
Rangers ~ 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome lists, thank you for taking the time to put these together for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've mentioned earlier I've had 3 base games and 1 copy of all the mentioned expansions.

I purchased another Winter Wars and intend on getting another Med. Theatre expansion (as I've wanted to play some Overlord in this theatre anyway).

So now I have 6 decks of cards (3 base, 2 breakthrough and 1 overlord). Unless DoW sell the deck standalone I think this is where I will stick.

I will need 2 allied armies and 4/5 axis armies. So I'm turning to Caesar and Airfix 1:72 minis to make up the rest of the infantry.

I like the Caesar German army sets as the makeup of the sets mirrors the Memoir infantry and they are the right colour. However you get less than 40 per set so I might have to buy one extra:

Caesar Set H002 German Infantry

Caesar Set H052 German Panzergrenadiers (Set 1)

Caesar Set H074 WWII Late War German Army

I like Airfix for the British and US (although there are a few too many non-suitable minis):

Airfix Set 01751 US Paratroops

Airfix Set 01763 WWII British Infantry

That leaves the equipment pack. I don't think I'll be getting another so it's improv time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landing Craft ~ 30 cry That's a lot of landing craft!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littleidiot wrote:

You'll get a lot with the D-Day Landings expansion, but not enough...so you need to have Equipment Packs and Air Packs to add more. Or you can use rectangles cut from a cereal box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rasmussen81 wrote:
littleidiot wrote:

You'll get a lot with the D-Day Landings expansion, but not enough...so you need to have Equipment Packs and Air Packs to add more. Or you can use rectangles cut from a cereal box!

Yup. I'm not complaining. But I was wandering around thinking 'why so many equipment packs?' and then it dawned on me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Guttag
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littleidiot wrote:
As I've mentioned earlier I've had 3 base games and 1 copy of all the mentioned expansions.

I purchased another Winter Wars and intend on getting another Med. Theatre expansion (as I've wanted to play some Overlord in this theatre anyway).

So now I have 6 decks of cards (3 base, 2 breakthrough and 1 overlord). Unless DoW sell the deck standalone I think this is where I will stick.

I will need 2 allied armies and 4/5 axis armies. So I'm turning to Caesar and Airfix 1:72 minis to make up the rest of the infantry.

I like the Caesar German army sets as the makeup of the sets mirrors the Memoir infantry and they are the right colour. However you get less than 40 per set so I might have to buy one extra:

Caesar Set H002 German Infantry

Caesar Set H052 German Panzergrenadiers (Set 1)

Caesar Set H074 WWII Late War German Army

I like Airfix for the British and US (although there are a few too many non-suitable minis):

Airfix Set 01751 US Paratroops

Airfix Set 01763 WWII British Infantry

That leaves the equipment pack. I don't think I'll be getting another so it's improv time.

I like the Caesar German infantry too.

I'm looking at Revell for the British Infantry:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=297

American Paratroopers

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=458

American Infantry. Although the greatcoats on some of the infantry are a problem, I've been able to find these sets fairly cheap and they are in the correct color:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=350

There's even a Panzer Grenadier set for elite Germans:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=293

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littleidiot wrote:
rasmussen81 wrote:
littleidiot wrote:

Yup. I'm not complaining. But I was wandering around thinking 'why so many equipment packs?' and then it dawned on me...

Though I suspect that many of us out here in Memoir Land played beach scenarios for at least a decade without any cardboard or plastic landing craft...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.