Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Duke
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the looks of Kingdom Builder, but I had dismissed it as being too vanilla for us. But I may be wrong, especially when it comes to the Big Box with all the expansions. The BGG weight rating for Kingdom Builder is 2.1 but that appears to be the basic game without the expansions. Do you think that 2.1 is a fair rating if the expansions are included? I'd appreciate both your good and bad thoughts regarding Kingdom Builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions mainly add more variety to the game, without changing it in major ways. While some new objectives and tiles are a bit more advanced than what you find in the original game, the overall concept is still the same.

That's pretty good though. This is one of those games that shines because of its variety. A lot of games (even really heavy games) become repetitive because you can win with the same strategies every time. Not in this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say that the expansions add weight, but I really think I agree with MasterDinadan. The expansions bring MORE to the table, but it isn't really complexity. I think KB gets a bum wrap as a very light game. I think there is a lot of opportunity in the game for very meaningful decisions. The new objectives and powers that the expansions add to the mix do bring a lot to the table, but I think the complexity is already there in the base game the expansions just let it shine a little more.

I think KB is a great game. I really think that you increase in skill with more plays. I know that when playing with my wife, our skill level increased at a similar rate. We both discovered new "plays" together. That made for a particularly good two player experience that we still enjoy. There are plenty of KB naysayers, but I think many of them dismissed the title too soon. Certainly anyone that says the game plays itself or that there are no meaningful decisions to be made fall into this camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KB is my current favourite game (without expansion), but I do like light games, and I do enjoy bringing new gamers to the table. It just feels so fresh and minimalistic to play, yet there are critical decisions to make every turn. The bonus tokens take some mastering, and make for a lovely knowledge curve which means expert players will beat newcomers in tru gamers' game style, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love KB, its a great game. Its simplistic in its mechanics and rules, but very elegant in some of the decisions you can make to ensure you maximize a turns potential. As stated before, the expansions are great especially Crossroads, but they don't add much in terms of game changing mechanics, just variety as stated by Cameron. Crossroads does add something that I wish they had done since they first started printing the game though. Each board had a special power that will allow you to either move one of your settlements or build another settlement following certain conditions and rules for that power. In the vanilla game and the Nomads expansion, each board has two spaces that are the exact same while Crossroads adds 2 different spaces. Really great game and I highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.