The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Quest difficulty and an increasing card pool? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jendrzej Szemis
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
There are plenty articles and discussion about order of purchase. However there isn't much on how the increasing card pool affects the quests. Especially quests from previous packs.

When playing should you limit yourself to the cards available when that quest was released?
Or do you pretty much use all the cards available to you to do all the quests you have?

For example: if I get the 2 Hobbit Saga expansions will that invalidate the quests on the Mirkwood cycle because now i have a bunch of new card that would potential make the Mirkwood quests easier? Also, would you use the card from the Mirkwood cycle with the Hobbit Expansions?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lane
United States
Elkhorn
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give my opinion having started playing the game about 3 months ago. I am buying and playing the quests in order and basically limiting myself to the cards available. I find that this has allowed me to learn the cards better and have quite a bit of fun learning my own strategies on how to handle each quest. Currently, I am almost through the Shadows of Mirkwood series, mostly solo plays.

I do play 2-3 player with some more advanced players and they use decks from way ahead of me and their cards seem too powerful for the SoM quests. I'm not saying we don't enjoy the game, but they are putting together combos that I haven't seen yet.

Well, that's just one opinion. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to use everything you have at your disposal if you want. Nothing from the existing cardpool invalidates the old quests. Sure there's been a handful of powerful cards and decks, but more than that, there's been a wide range in different types of decks that have opened up -- allowing you to try new strategies and archetypes against old favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic has actually been almost beaten to death as much as purchasing order, actually.

I think it's really silly to artificially restrict yourself in regards to deck building; just use all of your cards you have. There's virtually no chance you will have less fun, and you'll most likely have more because there's less of a chance that you'll be losing all the time and you get to try out complete synergies (in many cases, FFG splits apart useful combinations of cards across packs with no rhyme or game design reason other than to make you buy more packs, which is why I don't believe there's anything tangible gained by taking it one pack at a time).

I still lose to SoM quests all the time with decks built with cards from later expansions too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's personal preference. Feel free to play in release order, or don't. I choose not to.

Power creep in LotR LCG is real (see: Spirit Glorfindel, Dagger of Westernesse, etc), but it isn't nearly as prevalent as some make it sound.

What some describe as "power creep" is actually just an expanding card pool giving players more options. There aren't many examples of a 3-cost Ally with a noticeably higher stat sheet now in 2014 vs. 2011's cards. Instead, players just have many more cards to pull from, letting them combo and synergize in many clever ways.

As a result, it's really the ENCOUNTER cards that have experienced true power creep, in order to keep up with the much more tightly tuned player decks. Stats that used to be reserved for boss enemies now show up on random Orcs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Whittaker
United States
Andrews AFB
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Romans 1:16
mbmbmbmbmb

As a result, it's really the ENCOUNTER cards that have experienced true power creep, in order to keep up with the much more tightly tuned player decks. Stats that used to be reserved for boss enemies now show up on random Orcs.

I agree- I also think that this will eventually come back to bite- journey down the anduin was/is scary because the hill troll can be devastating- now they have to make chump enemies worse than the him! Of course I'm not a designer for this game but I'm not sure this can be sustainable. Are we going to see Balrog level orcs in the future? I'm not sure people will really care- just seems like we'll have bigger numbers to compute.

Airmanwhit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Tello
Spain
Oiartzun
Guipúzcoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only good reason to limit yourself to cards available up to the release date is to play more often the card pool, knowing it better. Anyway, you can do this later, when you learn how to play well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I limit myself (at least at first) to learn how all of the new cards work and make sure I use them. When I beat a quest, I "unlock" the next pack's cards. I haven't had interest in the Saga expansions so far (although the Road Darkens looks SOOOOOO Tempting), but I guess I'd play the Hobbit boxes after Dwarrowdelf and Black Riders and Road Darkens after Against the Shadow.

And, as others have also noted, this topic has been done to death on the forums, but I understand it being more difficult to search for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jendrzej Szemis
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all great the answers, exactly what I was looking for

When I was searching for the topic I kept on find purchase guides. Although the term "Power Creep" probably would have given me better results.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Szemis wrote:
Thanks for all great the answers, exactly what I was looking for

When I was searching for the topic I kept on find purchase guides. Although the term "Power Creep" probably would have given me better results.

Cheers

I started playing last week, so I'm not really qualified to give an opinion... but that's never stopped me before...

I think everyone should play how they want. I have opted to limit my cards until I beat the scenario at least once. My reasoning is basically to learn the cards better. For example:

I tried clawing my way through the hill troll in the second core scenario (solo) with a tactics/leadership deck. Not surprisingly, I got my head handed to me over and over. That lead me to dig into the spirit and lore cards and discover how to build a low threat deck.

If I had added new tactics cards and some how managed to power my way through the quest, I would have missed out on a whole new angle of the game that wouldn't have occurred to me otherwise. I think the scenarios are designed to encourage this sort of exploration, and I would probably miss it if I added new cards too early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Tanner
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am new to this game but I agree with the post above.

Forcing exploration of different types of decks to beat certain scenarios seems to be the goal. I believe that is one reason that they say an "elite" way to play the game is to play all three quests through using the same deck as what works in one quest may not work well in another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those looking for more of a challenge, would one simple fix be to reveal an additional encounter card or two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jackson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can definitely challenge yourself in deckbuilding without just limiting yourself to cards based on when the scenarios were released.

For example, make a Dwarf deck without any Leadership. Spirit decks without Glorfindel or Eowyn.

I have an Elrond deck that just stomped through The Voice of Isengard this week, never even dipping below 5 cards in hand for the first quest. It's great for just crushing encounters.

But it isn't the deck I like to play the most, so now I'm working on Secrecy-ing my way through it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.