BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Mice and Mystics or Mansions of Madness?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerson Galhano Filho
Brazil
São Paulo
flag msg tools
I'm trying to figure it out what would be the best set with 3 people at a semi-Descent (Mice and Mystics), or a more in depth theme like Mansions of Madness.

Though I usually play with my girlfriend, lately a friend of ours began delving into board games and such, hence the 3.

I'm a huge fan of Lovecraftian stuff, but sometimes I think playing games like Arkham or Eldritch would be more enjoyable by myself, if that was possible whistle

What would the community suggest for such conundrum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness works well with 3 players, especially if the two playing investigators take 2 investigators each (this is a lot easier to manage than in Arkham). I don't know if you knew this already, but it does require an overlord player, like Descent, whereas Mice and Mystics is fully cooperative.

They are both good games for different groups and it's hard to tell what would work best for you. Mice and Mystics is more of a family game with very simple rules, while Mansions of Madness has (comparatively) more strategy, especially with a devious Keeper. You should be prepared for the major criticism of the game, which is that not all the scenarios, especially in the base set, are evenly balanced--in some of them, a Keeper player can leave the heroes with no chance of winning if he uses certain cheap tactics, and all of them tend to favor one side over the other. If you focus on the story and having a good time, and keep in mind this IS lovecraft, it shouldn't be a huge issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Mice and Mystics is a co-op. Mansions of Madness is keeper vs. investigators (1 vs. 4 max)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics is a full co-op, but Mansions of Madness is a one vs all. So you should consider that. I would vote for Mice and Mystics, because I like the theme, the campaign storyline, the co-op nature and the easier setup. Mansions can take quite a while to set up, because the keeper has to set up all of the clues and storyline stuff. It can also feel really linear, because of how you need to do things, at least in my limited experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd go with Mice and Mystics. It's got a more universally friendly theme, and it's simultaneously simple and challenging. I really didn't like Mansions of Madness - it's got a great concept that I didn't feel was executed very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Coulombe
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Are you Alive?
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Mice & Mystics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally wasn't a big fan of Mansions not bad but just meh. I love Mice & Mystics on the other hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bekil
Germany
Erding
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
I personally wasn't a big fan of Mansions not bad but just meh. I love Mice & Mystics on the other hand.

It is the other way with my wife and me. While we liked Mouse in the beginning, we started to loose intresst and rush through the scenarios because it is a very simple game, but we liked the story stuff.

Mansion is also a very simple game from the mechanics the investigators can do, but the scenarios are more different than in Mouse. Its also story driven but the event your playing in more important than the characters your playing with Mouse is the other way around, but you cant evolve your characters enought to make it intresting in the long run.

Also for 3 people Mouse is very bad, because playing one mouse is very boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bamber Loizou
United Kingdom
Birmingham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Mansions definitely for me and I like both. The story choices are the real hook in MoM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
bekil wrote:
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:

It is the other way with my wife and me.

I must add that I'm a GM and my wife is in my Call of Chtulhu game. And for me it was more of a feeling that if I wanted to play something like this then I could just pick up Call of Cthulhu and run an RPG instead of a boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not try something completely different, then? For instance, try something with an entirely opposite mechanic to role play/story telling, and do strategy or worker placement or something.

Lords of Waterdeep (still has D&D feel) would be one to try.

If you are up for something difficult, Terra Mystica might fit the bill, but it's a Euro and not for everyone.

I have not yet played Quantum, but just watched the walk-thru by Shut Up and Sit Down, looks like a lot of fun, there's science fiction and wargame like elements to that one (but not too long or involved).

Otherwise, try Thunderstone for a deck builder with a dungeon theme.

Just some different suggestions if you are looking to expand your horizons and do something different with three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerson Galhano Filho
Brazil
São Paulo
flag msg tools
First of, thank you everyone for the thoughts regarding it.

Secondly, I know Mansions is like Descent and like such, I've seen some groups getting killed needlessly, though it shouldn't be an issue due to a decade DMing AD&D, hopefully.

On the other hand, I agree with the statements on Mice and Mystics, I loved the theme and it is a beautiful game, although both are well crafted, the Plaid Hat one has more... I dunno, its more appealing though simplistic.

Prolly getting it along a Dungeon! and a Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord for quick crawls and easier methods of introducing board games around some peeps here.

Much obliged gents and gals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's hard to recommend based on the information provided. Mice and Mystics is simpler. Mansions of Madness is far stronger in the story department (The Mice's story mainly exists as short fiction in between actual play sessions whereas Mansions integrates it with actual game play.)
I can say you shouldn't waste your time with Dungeon!, however. It is a curio. A predator on the human sense of nostalgia and nothing more.
Dungeoneer is fun.

Really all of these games exist on such divergent points on the gaming spectrum that it's difficult to grok to what you're going for, but it seems as though you're looking for something first-person and fantasy based. If so, Lords of Waterdeep, Quantum, and Terra Mystica would not be good choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bekil wrote:
It is the other way with my wife and me. While we liked Mouse in the beginning, we started to loose intresst and rush through the scenarios because it is a very simple game, but we liked the story stuff.

Mansion is also a very simple game from the mechanics the investigators can do, but the scenarios are more different than in Mouse. Its also story driven but the event your playing in more important than the characters your playing with Mouse is the other way around, but you cant evolve your characters enought to make it intresting in the long run.

Also for 3 people Mouse is very bad, because playing one mouse is very boring.

It's Mice & Mystics. Not Mouse. (shakes fist)

One con to MoM is that the scenarios in the base game aren't as smooth as you might like, so some are better than others. This unevenness holds true for their expansions until CotW was released.

I'm still waiting on the next expansion for M&M since that is going to be a full expansion and adds a lot of stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to go with Mansions of Madness, pick up the Call of the Wild expansion as well, it really improves the base game a whole lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own Mice and Mystics but I want to get it based on the reviews I've seen, but I do own Mansions of Madness and it is my favorite "dungeon crawl" game so far - I love the HP Lovecraft theme, I like the narratives (even though not all are "balanced" and there were some bugs).

First, I want to address the "1 vs many" aspect. By default that is true, but the BGG fans are awesome and one has made several of the stories into a cooperative/solo game.

Second, I will address the criticism of flawed setup. Again, a BGG fan has made a set of tokens with question marks on the back and numbers of the front. Rather than setting up decks, you can sort the cards in piles and tag them with numbers - and then leave the random cards in a pile marked with a blank tile (as they included no-number blanks also). This makes setup easier, but still vulnerable to flawed/careless setup.

What do I like about Mansions of Madness? The unique trait system. Each monster token put in each model has variation of special ability, damage capabilities, and so on and the evil player draws these blindly (so its a surprise to them also). Spell cards? You resolve them then flip them over to see what unique effects of your particular spell occurs. Combat? You draw combat cards - sometimes a success means you still fail and get hurt, while other times a failure can still mean you succeed in damaging your foe. Players are made up using a set of binary choices that influence their starting gear, and each story is customized with a series of binary or trinary choices that influence card placement and player victory conditions. Unfortunately, despite the wonderful variation in the stories, they are just variations of a base set and thus the stories will get old/predictable - thus replay value suffers. However, it is still a wonderful product and my wife and I enjoy playing (except for the scenarios that let the evil player use a card to turn a good guy into a traitor, it doesn't really work with one player playing two investigators).

So which to get? I don't know. I'd say view the Watch It Played video on Mansions of Madness and watch a play through of Mice and Mystics and see which appeals to you. If playing with younger kids or people who don't like horror, then Mice and Mystics is the way to go. If you have a love for the Cthulhu theme, then go Mansions of Madness - otherwise, its best to do your research and see which feels right to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerson Galhano Filho
Brazil
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Howdy gents and gals!

I bought Mice and Mystics along Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord for the fantasy flavor, and for the amount of time to teach/play with some beginners around here.

Tbh, this will be a prelude for them to play some of my other games with me and my gf; Arkham/Eldritch Horror, Descent 2nd and such.

On another note, I'll prolly get MoM in the near future. As Michael Dillenbeck said, "If you have a love for the Cthulhu theme, then go Mansions of Madness".

Much obliged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MoM had so much potential, but they execution was a bit poor. Having said that, it's still a good game (esp. with the expansion!). Mice and Mystic seemed interesting too me, but looks way too simplistic and the lack of variety in enemies turned me off. Decided to get Descent instead (although that's not full coop).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.