Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We need a card of Vreenak, aka ITS A FAAAAAAAAKE.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Vreenak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your Vreenak, and raise you a Sela.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sela
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Spend your target lock and disable Vreenak to discard one [equipment] upgrade on target ship (as it was a crude forgery.)

Your opponent may immediately disable Benny Russel to cancel this effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
Spend your target lock and disable Vreenak to discard one [equipment] upgrade on target ship (as it was a crude forgery.)

Your opponent may immediately disable Benny Russel to cancel this effect.

So Garek's corresponding ability is to blow up a ship...2 turns later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it funny that all the best Defense cards in the game are not Romulan! Romulans are the worst to play pure faction with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
MikeWyant wrote:
I find it funny that all the best Defense cards in the game are not Romulan! Romulans are the worst to play pure faction with.

Sarcasm?

Seems like 5 of my last 6 battles I was getting trounced by ships running Romulan Interphase Generators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hate to play IG. I've either got to spend 10 points to get that tech slot on my Valdore or suffer through using the D'Ds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Fredrickson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
MikeWyant wrote:

I love playing faction pure with the Romulans.

What's better than Selok, Interphase Generator or Varel for defense cards?

The Romulans are all about effective D, movement, and board control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
I gave them to build a fleet with to play first timer who was a natural at formation flying and he did some slick stuff with sensor echo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paxzrake wrote:

Sulu is better than Varel or Selok by far. Sulu might be the single best Crew in the game. Varel just costs too much when she's not on an RSV. Selok? Really? 5 points to let my opponent attack another ship one time? How is that worth the cost? If she was a Disable, then I maybe could see it, but not worth it as a Action & Discard.

I'll give Interphase Generator as a really good defense card. There's a reason to buy 2 RSVs right there. But beyond that the Romulans don't have much. Gul Evek & Clark Terrel are both better defensive Captains. Synon is amazing for a cloaked ship. Why she's not Romulan I have no idea. I think she'll be on every Romulan Flagship I build after using her recently. The best defense is not letting them fire at you, which Synon makes super easy.

The other big thing that makes the Romulans the hardest pure Faction to fly right now is the worst firing arcs in the game. Nothing greater than front 90. It's terrible.
Oh, and no named ship in the 20-26 points range. If the GGT had 1 or 2 more points of Hull or Attack then it'd be exactly what we need. Right now it's just almost good. Say the GGT is a 3/5.

Thankfully the game was designed with cross-factioning in mind, so just put a Sulu or Synon on the ships and they do okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Synon is great, but came on the Ch'tang, so only 1/6 of players will have access to her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghostrunner wrote:
MikeWyant wrote:

Sarcasm?

Seems like 5 of my last 6 battles I was getting trounced by ships running Romulan Interphase Generators.

Because your strategy was built on attacking them only once?

IG only helps block a single attack - and while that IS the best defensive card the Romulans have, it only works once.

I did pretty epic in OP6, winning it handily, putting Gul Evek and (crew) Sulu on a Romulan ship - it's comical how effective they make the Romulans. You never get hit!

It's definitely true that the Romulans are the hardest to play faction-pure at this point, largely because of those issues. No 'battle stations' action (which is the most useful action in the game!), few options for re-rolling or modifying dice, and a plethora of extremely situational/single-use defensive cards that are overpriced for their effectiveness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanton Lackey
msg tools
Are people just not playing Romulans right or something? I have found, after playing 6 OP events, they are the strongest faction pure. They will throw out an average of 5-6 attack dice while using their amazingly good flagship to reroll all the hits. They have big hull as well as cloaking and, as others have mentioned, the Interphase Generator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about it, Evek & Sulu might just start replacing Toreth & Massacre on the IRW Valdore for me. That would be one amazingly hard ship to kill. Granted you don't get the benefit of Sensor Echo & Sulu, but it could still be nasty. Or maybe just Gul Evek. I may try that tomorrow.

I put Evek & Sulu on a Vo and it couldn't be killed. It couldn't do much other than get shot at, but people just couldn't hit it. 9 defense dice, reroll all those blanks, convert a BS to Evade, and take a free Evade token? That's 6 or 7 evades every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maverick2909 wrote:
Are people just not playing Romulans right or something? I have found, after playing 6 OP events, they are the strongest faction pure. They will throw out an average of 5-6 attack dice while using their amazingly good flagship to reroll all the hits. They have big hull as well as cloaking and, as others have mentioned, the Interphase Generator.

Agreed the Rom have some of the best stuff, they are right up their for top faction, Klingons still win it though.

Worst faction still goes to dominion, pure they are awful, every upgrade and ship have the highest stipulation cost of any of the other factions. They can be downright tricky to play! I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Fredrickson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
davedujour wrote:
paxzrake wrote:

Sulu is better than Varel or Selok by far. Sulu might be the single best Crew in the game. Varel just costs too much when she's not on an RSV. Selok? Really? 5 points to let my opponent attack another ship one time? How is that worth the cost? If she was a Disable, then I maybe could see it, but not worth it as a Action & Discard.

I'll give Interphase Generator as a really good defense card. There's a reason to buy 2 RSVs right there. But beyond that the Romulans don't have much. Gul Evek & Clark Terrel are both better defensive Captains. Synon is amazing for a cloaked ship. Why she's not Romulan I have no idea. I think she'll be on every Romulan Flagship I build after using her recently. The best defense is not letting them fire at you, which Synon makes super easy.

The other big thing that makes the Romulans the hardest pure Faction to fly right now is the worst firing arcs in the game. Nothing greater than front 90. It's terrible.
Oh, and no named ship in the 20-26 points range. If the GGT had 1 or 2 more points of Hull or Attack then it'd be exactly what we need. Right now it's just almost good. Say the GGT is a 3/5.

Thankfully the game was designed with cross-factioning in mind, so just put a Sulu or Synon on the ships and they do okay.

Sweet, I must be really good at this game laugh

I just don't understand your position, but I'm cool with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
In a faction pure environment, I'd say the Klingons have the merit of being probably the easiest to play. Attack things with your primaries, watch them explode dramatically, combined with fairly nimble and forgiving maneuver dials. They aren't particularly reliant on any upgrades, though they do have some great ones in Drex/Girl Drex, Advanced Weapon System, etc. They are the best to swarm with, largely for this reason. They've got ships that cover a broad range of tactical roles and costs from the swarmy D-7 to the beastly Neg'vahr. With their somewhat low shield and hull values and reliance on cloak, they could be described a bit as "glass cannons."

Romulans have really great support and synergies, good defensive tech, good maneuverability, a couple Dominion style "wonder weapons," decent primary buffs. They have some really tough dreadnaughts and some small support vessels, but I agree they are missing that midrange "ship of the line." They can't quite compete with the Fed's captains, but with the GGT skipper, Toreth, and arguably the best support captain in Donatra they're not doing too badly. I'd say everything else being equal in the hands of a skilled player they are probably the strongest to play "pure."

Feds have that versatile uniform action bar, good arcs, good captains and good upgrades. They have the broadest pool of options, and that's an advantage that's only going to increase its margin over other factions as time goes on. I'd say their biggest drawback is that they rely a bit too much on lock-dependent secondary weapons to do respectable damage.

Dominion are somewhat versatile, but suffer from a slightly shallower pool of options combined with an arguably over-broad focus. A lot of their play seems to want to steer you towards somewhat situational "wonder weapons." They only really have one particularly good captain. I'd say they're the toughest to play "pure."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maverick2909 wrote:

The tough thing about drawing conclusions from our individual experiences at OPs is that it's hard to normalize those experiences to the skill of our opponents and the kinds of builds those opponents tend to put on the table.

So it could be that the Romulans are the strongest pure faction, or it could be that you play them and are a really good player compared to your opponents. It's hard for me to know which one it is.

That said, I'm with Xander on this issue. Limited firing arcs, limited dice modification without a target lock and low skill captains give pure faction Romulans a tough row to hoe. They have the best ship in the game with the IRW Valdore, true, but the generic Valdore isn't all that hot and the D'Deridexes don't throw out enough damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
ryolacap wrote:

Agreed the Rom have some of the best stuff, they are right up their for top faction, Klingons still win it though.

Worst faction still goes to dominion, pure they are awful, every upgrade and ship have the highest stipulation cost of any of the other factions. They can be downright tricky to play! I love it!

Really I don't think the Klingon's are even close to best faction. Why do you think they are so great? To me their big thing is rolling a lot of unmodified dice. When I play an all Klingon fleet I know right off what they are going to try to do, and can play to counter it.

I've had a much harder time playing against all fed or all Dom now that the Keldon-class is out, then an all Klingon build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
maverick2909 wrote:

Worst faction is Dominion? Are you kidding? Have you flown against a well built Koranak? Koranak, Dukat, Boheeka is an amazing build that can be across the board & shooting you hard in 2 turns. Have you taken a shot from the Battleship? Granted, it's not too hard to get out of the battleship's firing arc. Dukat is a Top 3 Captain in the game. You know what Faction doesn't have a Top 3 Captain? Romulans. I'd say Khan is #4 (convert BS to crits is awesome). Maybe Keras or Toreth is #5. Maybe.

If you had said the Jem'hadar or the Breen are the worst Faction then I might agree, but the Cardassians have some great tools and the rest of the Dominion can fill in some holes (Breen Aide, Shroud) very nicely. They don't need any help from another Faction like the Romulans do. The Doms have all around decent upgrades, a good selection of ships (not multiple small ships like the Romulans) with strong attack & defense numbers, and at least 1 really good Captain. The Dominion were very weak until the Koranak & Battleship arrived. Now they're much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
The Dominion were very weak until the Koranak & Battleship arrived. Now they're much better.

Of course they were even better before the battleship arrived and people were tempted to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rtsuk wrote:
That said, I'm with Xander on this issue. Limited firing arcs, limited dice modification without a target lock and low skill captains give pure faction Romulans a tough row to hoe. They have the best ship in the game with the IRW Valdore, true, but the generic Valdore isn't all that hot and the D'Deridexes don't throw out enough damage.

This. Exactly this. The Romulans do have the best ship in the game, but that doesn't make up for their shortcomings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
rtsuk wrote:
[q="davedujour"]Of course they were even better before the battleship arrived and people were tempted to use it.

The thing does turn like a shopping cart, no doubt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Fredrickson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
davedujour wrote:
ryolacap wrote:
maverick2909 wrote:

Worst faction is Dominion? Are you kidding? Have you flown against a well built Koranak? Koranak, Dukat, Boheeka is an amazing build that can be across the board & shooting you hard in 2 turns. Have you taken a shot from the Battleship? Granted, it's not too hard to get out of the battleship's firing arc. Dukat is a Top 3 Captain in the game. You know what Faction doesn't have a Top 3 Captain? Romulans. I'd say Khan is #4 (convert BS to crits is awesome). Maybe Keras or Toreth is #5. Maybe.

If you had said the Jem'hadar or the Breen are the worst Faction then I might agree, but the Cardassians have some great tools and the rest of the Dominion can fill in some holes (Breen Aide, Shroud) very nicely. They don't need any help from another Faction like the Romulans do. The Doms have all around decent upgrades, a good selection of ships (not multiple small ships like the Romulans) with strong attack & defense numbers, and at least 1 really good Captain. The Dominion were very weak until the Koranak & Battleship arrived. Now they're much better.

I prefer Valdore and Mirok for Romulan Captains. Mirok fixed a Warp Core Breach for me last night, it was great.

The Romulans have some pretty easy counters to whales like the Cardassians. Not a knock on them, the Cardassians are my second favorite faction, it's just true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
davedujour wrote:

Worst faction is Dominion? Are you kidding? Have you flown against a well built Koranak? .

Completely agree a Koranak, Keldon-class, plus Hideki Class Attack Fighters is a tough nut to crack when flown well. You can add a Kraxon to this if you're willing to keep your captain's and upgrades to 4 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.