Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules mention the Rebel player can choose to switch seats after asteroid placement. I've read a couple of asteroid placement strategy articles now though that seem to imply you know which side is 'yours' while you are placing. Do people not use the switching rule or was it removed for tournament play or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You choose sides and then set down asteroids to your advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rulebook indeed says the Rebel player chose side after asteroid placement. How ever, the tournamnet rules say you pick sides first and then place asteroids. So it depends on if you play a casual game by the basic rules or a more strict tournament style game.

A strange rule change between casual and tournament play for sure, but that's how the rules are writen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smuggler wrote:

A strange rule change between casual and tournament play for sure, but that's how the rules are writen.

I think the reason for the rule change is because it can be prohibitively difficult to get to the other side of the table at large tournaments e.g. At Gen Con, where you have 10+ matches occurring on the same table. That, and it might give more experienced (and tricky) players too much advantage (?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks. I'm glad to hear it's not done in tournaments. I think we'll adopt that policy at home too then! Switching sides of the table, even a small one, can be a real PITA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Smuggler wrote:

I think the reason for the rule change is because it can be prohibitively difficult to get to the other side of the table at large tournaments e.g. At Gen Con, where you have 10+ matches occurring on the same table. That, and it might give more experienced (and tricky) players too much advantage (?).

Yes, the tournament style is much more practical. I just don't see why they didn't put that as the standard rule to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smuggler wrote:
The rulebook indeed says the Rebel player chose side after asteroid placement.

I think they had to change the rule to cover mirror matches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was prepping for tournaments our group followed the picking sides rule. But in every tournament I've been in, that rule was never used. I think the rule just turned out to be very inconvenient to use in practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RecklessFable wrote:
When I was prepping for tournaments our group followed the picking sides rule. But in every tournament I've been in, that rule was never used. I think the rule just turned out to be very inconvenient to use in practice.

I know, I know.

I have an email in to FFG to get a clearer picture of thought on this topic. I'm guessing it won't be happening much again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.