United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here's the deal.
I have been working on learning The Dark Valley. Really like the rules and think that the chit pull system with the logistics counter is a cool way to depict German supply system problems while at the same time the Panzer Army chits depict the boldness and mobility of that arm of the German Wehrmacht. Plus the changing of the chits over time to reflect the power of each army is very cool as well.

The problem is the map yuk Don't get me wrong, it is not the artistic aspects of the map. I think the color scheme and art work is superb thumbsup but there is something seriously wrong when one of the errata items is the hexes for the Soviet Military Districts set up because you cannot see those border lines! shake The map hex lines are white making them damn near impossible to see and the hexes themselves are really small! I tried to start a game today and was carefully launching my attacks all along the front when my hand slipped on the plexiglass and I guess you could say some other country already had nukes because it looked like one just hit on my board!

So right now I am really angry about this! Is there any way to deal with this bad map? And please don't say vassal: I like to see my games sprawled out in all their cardboard glory. No offense to you vassal players but that's the way I like it

I soooo want to try this game but not sure what to do now. Other than try something totally absurd like adding HQ and depot units to Russian Front
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I have found tracing los on the None but Heroes map to be a little frustrating and it has meant I haven't really gone beyond the small scenarios. I find it very difficult to distinguish.the different levels of terrain with their muted colours. The system itself is great fun but that only doubles my angst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Scripto?

Sharpie.

I can NEVER remember the name of the damned things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Physically not-very-functional components are a frustration indeed. That can discourage me from buying or playing a game.

calandale wrote:
Scripto?

My web search leads me to various quite diverse hits for "Scripto", many of which seem a plausible explanation for what you might be thinking. So I have no idea which you mean...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Fear not friend, simply acquire a copious serving of cheetos and after consuming this delicious treat, delicately correct the faulty map with your nimble digits by applying your fingertips on the hexes where needed, in order to obtain the desired effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tweezers or forceps.
Off-board holding boxes for armies, reducing stacking on map to 1 counter.

Personally, I'll take this problem over the reverse (beautiful map, terrible rules) any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
russ wrote:
Physically not-very-functional components are a frustration indeed. That can discourage me from buying or playing a game.

calandale wrote:
Scripto?

My web search leads me to various quite diverse hits for "Scripto", many of which seem a plausible explanation for what you might be thinking. So I have no idea which you mean...

Bother. Fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Scripto?

Sharpie.

Actually, if you're using plexiglass, just use a dry-erase marker to draw in those Soviet military district boundaries, or any other notes that may be useful during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Sluggonics wrote:
calandale wrote:
Scripto?

Sharpie.

Actually, if you're using plexiglass, just use a dry-erase marker to draw in those Soviet military district boundaries, or any other notes that may be useful during play.

Yep - and mark objectives, phase lines, highlight critical paths - use the pelxi as a graphics overlay.

I also use Counter Sprue at times to do this - bent as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the ideas guys. The discussion generated here has made me think about something else as regards the Eastern Front. But I think that will be a topic for a different thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stance Nixon
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You also could use post-it note. I believe they have a think white line tape. Be careful you don't want to get White Out on tape by mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sluggonics wrote:
calandale wrote:
Scripto?

Sharpie.

So my answer was correct for some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Koskey
United States
Kahului
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Sluggonics wrote:
calandale wrote:
Scripto?

Sharpie.

So my answer was correct for some.

My games under plexi look like a HUD with very definitive markings, lines, text (when needed) before I even start the game. By the end of the game it looks like a scribbled mess.

But it works and is very functional.

One other option I have used in the past is to have some clear projection paper printed with all the changes needed. This can be very vibrant and the lines as thin or thick as the map allows or your needs require. Then have them laminated together the size of the map. This in effect plays a few roles:

1. It gives me a clear layout that can be used as an overlay on the original map without distracting from the map to much.

2. It actually has cut down on the glare when compared to just a standard plexi sheet.

3. It usually is heavy enough for most back-folded paper maps to not need the additional plexi on top (read caution below). Thus it is easier to store, move, setup, etc. Since it is laminated, you can still write on the surface just as you would with plexi adding yet another layer of information.

4. These overlays and printing with lamination is cheap....

One tale of caution with this method....I personally still use plexi on top of it all because it is too easy to bump the laminated overlays and have them mess everything up....lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
writing (for Triplanetary) is the one thing I've used
plexi for. I dislike it otherwise, but might just consider the
advantages for marking movements and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.