Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
52 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Metal figure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone else get a metal figure in their game box.. Not sure what or who it is... Can someone clue me in lol.. Thanks
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the Torchbearer Exclusive Ally.

Rules and cards will come later, though some are posted in the forums.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
650k Stretch Goal - Torchbearer follower
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know if he will come in a plastic figure as well... Feels odd having one metal mini on the board.. Why did they ship this figure instead of the many different minis ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Please take a look at this thread where that issue was turned into a flamewar extensively discussed.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
don't feed the trolls
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, that's my thread. Boy, people really didn't like it.

The Torchbearer is a metal, companion mini. This was never formally announced by Mercs. The minis people are very happy about it. I can't speak for all the boardgame folks but I, personally, am not happy about it. So it goes.

The question now -- which I've emailed to Mercs and have not seen an answer to -- is whether any additional minis in the second shipment will be metal as well. Some folks say absolutely -- the cost for tooling plastic is an order or magnitude higher than tooling metal -- whereas other folks opine that Mercs would have said something about it.

It is worth noting that in the FAQ for Mercs' current Kickstarter, Recon, they explicitly state that ALL minis produced for that campaign will be plastic. Not sure what that means for Myth, but there you have it.

Oh, and the Torchbearer rules, cards, etc., will be sent with the second wave of bits, expected in April, I believe.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished reading through your post .. I would love to use the torch bearer in my games. But I am still a little irritated that is not plastic. I really hope they don't plan to send us any more metal figureS..
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you didn't notice, but there are many figures that will be produced in metal for Myth.

If you took a look at the pledge manager, there were several miniatures that were add-ons that will only be produced in metal. Some had a choice of plastic or metal, but not many.

I know the Agents of Darkness are metal, and quite possibly the alternate genders for the heroes as well. There will be more if you ordered any add-ons.

And seriously, why do so many board gamers make such a big deal about applying some super glue?

Just take a look at the previous thread about the Torchbearer - if just a fraction of the time that was spent arguing on that thread was used for constructive purposes, then you could likely have assembled the entire range of miniatures in metal.

Oh, and if the appearance of a metal mini on your game looks odd, paint them, and nothing will look out of place.The amount of time people spend arguing and complaining about something is astounding when that time could have been used for actually putting the miniature together.

I'd be more than happy to have what you guys in the US have had delivered. At least you folks don't have to wait another 2 months just to get the base game....
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
In case you didn't notice, but there are many figures that will be produced in metal for Myth.


I think it's quite obvious there are several people who didn't notice. Myself included.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranerdar wrote:
I think it's quite obvious there are several people who didn't notice. Myself included.


When I back a KS, I research the company's previous game lines, and MERCS previous game, MERCS, uses metal figures, and, afaik, only metal figures. So I'm not *too* surprised that MERCS releases a metal figure instead of plastic. In the miniature hobby, metal is considered every way superior to plastic, except, of course, for price. And, for all we know, MERCS intended to release the figure in plastic, but found out that the mold costs were too high. So with MERCS originally being a metal miniatures company, I'm not too surprised they were taken by surprise by negative reactions to a metal miniature. Hopefully, they will be clearer in their future KS. Boardgamers are not miniature gamers.

Has anyone contacted MERCS to ask if their other KS Exclusive figures are metal?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well sooorrryyy.... for wishing they were in plastic.... If you like metal and plastic then good for you..i Didn't state I wasn't going to use them.. Just wished they were all plastic..
4 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Ghool wrote:

I know the Agents of Darkness are metal, and quite possibly the alternate genders for the heroes as well. There will be more if you ordered any add-ons.


Are you sure of that? I thought there was an update with plastic agents. It makes sense for an exclusive KS mini to be metal, though I agree with those wanting consistency. I hope the Trickster and Spriggan are plastic...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VoicelessFaces wrote:
Ghool wrote:

I know the Agents of Darkness are metal, and quite possibly the alternate genders for the heroes as well. There will be more if you ordered any add-ons.


Are you sure of that? I thought there was an update with plastic agents. It makes sense for an exclusive KS mini to be metal, though I agree with those wanting consistency. I hope the Trickster and Spriggan are plastic...


Don't forget Conner. He's an exclusive as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you willing to pay $10 for a plastic miniature that would otherwise be free in metal? Metal molds for plastic cost 5K to 20K to make, molds for metal only a few hundred dollars. So plastic miniatures are only cost-effective with high print runs -- the inverse of a KS Exclusive single figure.

I don't care if you're sooorrryyy... so long as you're willing to pay the money for your (and my) miniatures. Tell MERCS to offer the KS Exclusive metals in plastic in their next KS, and that you're willing to pay for it. This would be an opportunity for those who missed the first KS not to miss out on the exclusives.

I didn't pledge for any add-ons, so if anyone has a miniature they don't want, send me a PM and update your trade / want lists.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Are you willing to pay $10 for a plastic miniature that would otherwise be free in metal...


Do you understand that the issue here isn't metal versus plastic, but the plain fact that we were not told, during the campaign, that ANY of the minis, extra, stretch goal, optional buy, etc., were going to be metal?

I bought some extras here. I'm not interested in metal. If I'd known I was getting metal and not plastic, that would have affected my choices.

I get that the minis folks are happy about these minis being metal. The question I want to ask is this: if everything had come and been plastic (apart from the explicitly stated as metal minis), would you be unhappy? Would you say, "oh, I assumed those were going to be metal, and I am upset about this unannounced change?"

Of course not. Why? Because we were all expecting plastic. The minis gamers are happy about the SURPRISE that there are metal minis. It's a bonus to them, but it's not what y'all were expecting.

Because that's the issue here. Yes, we ASSUMED the minis were going to be plastic. Why? Because they were shown as plastic throughout the campaign AND it was possible to buy metal minis as optional extras.

That's the issue. And really, the question should be, "are you willing to pay $10.00 for metal minis everyone else got in plastic? Not because of the cost, but because, during the Kickstarter, it was actually possible to pay extra for metal minis.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to KS. I'm sure the Up Front backers weren't expecting what they received, either.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Welcome to KS. I'm sure the Up Front backers weren't expecting what they received, either.


I don't think the Mercs team would appreciate you comparing them to Rik, Torben and company. I'm pretty unhappy with the Mercs team and **I** don't appreciate the comparison.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be willing to put money down that the pledge manager stated metal for some of the addons.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nich wrote:
I'd be willing to put money down that the pledge manager stated metal for some of the addons.

How much money? They only listed materials if you had a choice between metal or plastic. The Torchbearer, being a "freebie" and not available in the add-ons afaik, never had a material listed.



I accept GG
8 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacqland wrote:
Nich wrote:
I'd be willing to put money down that the pledge manager stated metal for some of the addons.

How much money? They only listed materials if you had a choice between metal or plastic. The Torchbearer, being a "freebie" and not available in the add-ons afaik, never had a material listed.



I accept GG :p


I do not. All your pledge proves is that YOU didn't select a metal figure option.

See the following thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/966845/metal-figures-questio...


And the FAQ: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/MYTH_FAQ#toc9
- Q: Does the Metal Heroes Optional Purchase include the alternate gender version, and are metal versions of trickster/skald available?
A: Alt genders, yes. Trickster yes (as it is a pledge level). Skald, not at this time. (Brian, Kickstarter)

- Archer Pledge- Here is where it gets long. Three core sets (one signed), three promo Mini-Bosses (one metal and painted), lithograph worth $15 and two Enemy Add-on (1 Captains and 10 Minions) for every unlocked race (currently worth ~$200). the Quest Expansion Deck which is worth $15, 6x6 Tile Supplements I (not the same as the stretch goal, same as the add-on) worth $25, 6 T-Shirts worth $150, two of each unlocked races Captain in metal ($40), One of each Hero and alt gender Hero in metal ($50-100). Includes Stretch Goals.

Update #97: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700755582/myth-0/posts...

Oh, and the Pledge Manager itself provided METAL options.

Oh, and Update #66: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700755582/myth-0/posts...

And Update #21 talks about metal figures:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700755582/myth-0/posts...


So, way way back near the beginning, we knew there would be metal figures as part of the KickStarter, sprinkled throughout the KS (Originally the Archer level for Alt Sculpts). As I said, the Pledge manager itself provided information relating to the use of Metal for some of the addons / figures. (Edit) In fact, the options you selected, in the dropdown section, had the ability to select Metal miniatures instead of plastic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The non-exclusive items being plastic is logical so pointing those out makes no sense. They are going to be released at retail so a plastic model is cost effective. The twilight knight, among others, would be metal because they are such limited runs.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my GG so... Hooray!

But my point was that the materials were only listed in the pledge manager if there was a choice between metal and plastic. If you look at the Agents of Darkness, there's no material listed.

I mean, assuming they're metal makes sense if you're a minis person. Assuming they're made of plastic makes sense if you're a layperson and see a big game full of plastic. At least, that's how I read it.

Now excuse me while I go spend my ill-gotten gains on tasty microbadges.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nich wrote:
So, way way back near the beginning, we knew there would be metal figures as part of the KickStarter, sprinkled throughout the KS (Originally the Archer level for Alt Sculpts). As I said, the Pledge manager itself provided information relating to the use of Metal for some of the addons / figures. (Edit) In fact, the options you selected, in the dropdown section, had the ability to select Metal miniatures instead of plastic.


But, the only metal we were told about were optional extras and the additional, metal heroes some levels received in addition to the included plastic minis. The presence of user-selected metal minis could not reasonably be taken as a suggestion that other minis would, by default, be metal. Did you assume the Torchbearer was going to be metal? I'd guess you did not.

Lemme put it another way: if metal minis are a feature and not a bug, why didn't Mercs make a big deal about it? If the plan was always for the Torchbearer to be metal, why keep that fact a secret? If the other KS exclusive stuff is going to be metal -- and metal is presumed to be a good thing -- why hasn't Mercs told us?

Also, if metal is the default for limited, exclusive minis, because it's too expensive to do exclusives in plastic, why does the Recon FAQ explicitly state that ALL minis from that campaign will be plastic?

If cost is the factor, as many have suggested, it would seem reasonable to guess Mercs originally intended for minis like the Torchbearer to be plastic -- until they saw what it would cost. We can further guess -- with no actual information to back this up -- that they chose not to share this with us (everything got an update on this campaign except the exclusive Torchbearer being metal) because they figured at least some of us would complain, which might compel them to go back to too expensive plastic.

The fact is, there's nothing formal from Mercs explaining why the Torchbearer is metal, and there's nothing letting us know if he's the exception or the rule. Until we hear from them, or until we see for ourselves, we simply cannot know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JimbobJones wrote:
Are we back on this? Seriously?

OK, here's what we need to do.... gather all the metal minis, melt them down, make a big metal club, and beat the holy hell out of that dead horse!!!

The horse ain't dead until MERCS makes some sort of statement.
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.