Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

Rules are pretty clear when it comes to collecting resources, you may take as many or as few as you like, but they are not as clear when it comes to other actions.

Yesterday I wanted to use the movement action and the only card in my hard for applying strength was a 3-strength card. I had the resources to use the movement action three times (2 canoes and a horse), but didn't want to spend the horse, am I forced to spend it even if I don't want to?

In the rules there's one paragraph saying "you may use the action as many times as the strength used", but a couple of paragraphs later, a bold sentences says "you have to use all the strength".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Hi Lochi

On page 6 at the very bottom, it says:

"it is always permissible to perform an action with only a partial effect or with no effect at all"

so yes, you may perform it as many times you want as long as you dont exceed your required amount of strength
any less is perfectly fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I use cards that is not a legal action? Let's say I am at the foot of the mountains and have basic movement card with only the resources to do water movement. Can I use the cards, not actually doing any movement but using up the cards so I don't have them in hand for the time penalty when camping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Aganov
msg tools
bmayer wrote:
Can I use cards that is not a legal action? Let's say I am at the foot of the mountains and have basic movement card with only the resources to do water movement. Can I use the cards, not actually doing any movement but using up the cards so I don't have them in hand for the time penalty when camping?

The question is a bit incorrect.
Yes, you can spend resources on water movement, get nothing from it, but you won't get the time penalty 'cause you've used the card legally. It is still a legal action while you pay for it - it's just unprofitable.

What is actually illegal - if you try to activate the card without paying for it's effect. As I remember from FAQ or one of the threads, if you activate a card that requires to pay for it's effect it doesn't matter how many times you activate it - you still have to pay at least once, even if you won't get anything profitable from it. In other words you cannot use the commander card if you have no food/boat or horse tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.