D-Day at Omaha Beach» Forums » Rules

Subject: Defeating a German unit and depth marker in one attack. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Colons
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
I'm a bit stumped here. In the intro to the extended game (Section 14.0), one of the bulleted points says US units can eliminate a German unit and its depth marker in a single US attack. I'm not able to figure out why this is as I can't find anything in the rulebook that supports this. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule book not around, but looking at the flip book in the files this can happen in the extended game (after turn 16) if you are > double STR.

The extended game rules are different than the first 16 turns, is that the confusion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
The change in on the bottom right of the US combat results chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
The change in on the bottom right of the US combat results chart.
Specifically the intersection of column "German unit & revealed depth marker" and "US attacks possesses required weapons? Yes ->Attack strength at least double"
It isn't mentioned specifically in the rules, since it falls within the normal attack rules (8.3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, its all down to the fact that during the extended game each turn represents twice the amount of time elapsed. This is why units can (potentially) move twice as far and why it can (potentially) take one turn rather than two to elimiate unit+depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Colons
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Great! You guys have cleared that up for me. On my way to save the world...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can also defeat a german unit with one attack if the revealed depth marker said "Tactical Reinforcement". At that time, the depth marker is removed, a reinforcement is placed somewhere else on the map, and then you can continue your attack and possibly defeat the remaining unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Triantafyllidis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually after replacing for Tactical Reinforcement the original German unit is automatically eliminated, no combat takes place.It is written in the charts though and easy to miss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabvier wrote:
Actually after replacing for Tactical Reinforcement the original German unit is automatically eliminated, no combat takes place.It is written in the charts though and easy to miss

Right! It's probably an unnecessary rule footnote since all that's left behind is a single german unit which is destroyed automatically in the resulting combat. That's probably why I never even noticed that rule LOL.

And while it seems like the auto-defeat is cool, Tactical Reinforcements actually are the same as the enemy retreating safely to a new spot, often with a tougher unit in it's place. Short term victory. Long term pest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's awfully nice if the Tactical Reinforcement pool is depleted, though, because this case does NOT draw from the Divisional Reinforcement pool instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.