Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still relatively new to the whole Ogre experience and just opened up the box last night. I started assembling some 3D models with my son and punching out counters to store away in the box. I soon discovered that there is an awful lot to store away and that if I want to keep setup time to a minimum, then a well thought out organization of the components needs to be implemented.

I am sure there have been many that have already organized their boxes and was wondering what they did, and what worked. I'm thinking that I will probably want to pull the original Ogre components out separate and store them in a zip lock bag in one of the extra storage bays in the "garage" to allow for quick play and clean up; while the majority of the components will be stored in their proper locations.

I welcome and all tips/comments on what people encountered when storing their components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may help a little:

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products/ogre6e/

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products/ogre6e/img/ogre_trays.p...

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products/ogre6e/img/ogre_assembl...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Thanks for the help, but I've already looked into the files provided by sjgames. I was hoping for something with a bit more detail. I guess what I was hoping for was an enhanced version of the ogre_trays.pdf with a listing of which counters went where.

Not having played the game before, I'm not quite sure what the best way to organize the counters. I'm hoping to organize the game to reduce setup/cleanup times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:

I am sure there have been many that have already organized their boxes and was wondering what they did, and what worked.

You are correct that there are several ideas already floating around. Right off the top, look at Scott's dividers:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/97880/ogre-6th-edition-cou...

They work great for basic organization in the box.

Others have colored the edges of the counters to make them more discernable at a distance, although I don't have the heart to deface them, personally.

As for "where does everything go?" There really isn't a "right" answer; it's just whatever makes sense to you. I grouped all of mine by counter type first, then faction. I think in terms of "I need GEVs" more than "I need PE units."

If you find yourself putting the box on-edge (eg, if you get the canvas carry bag), you will probably want to make a spacer to put between the counters and the GEV map boards to help keep pieces from shifting.

Others have completely abandoned the box and gone with various Plano-type container options.

As for the unit sizes, there are small, medium and large counters. Example s of each are:

Large: Superheavy, GEV-PC
Medium: Heavy tank, Infantry
Small: Light Tank, Missile tank

One tip about the large units: put them in upside down. The way the tray is sculpted, they fit slightly better (don't rub against the maps) that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've gone overboard with sponsor sheets, but I tried to organize all my counters last night, and I don't have any room for my superheavies or trucks. Everything else seems to fit, but I haven't punched out my Nihon counters yet.

I think I'm going to have to come up with some sort of "per faction" storage solution that is external to the giant OGRE box.

Unless anyone has some suggestions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A secondary box may be necessary, depending on how you like things done.

There is a lot of terrain. You may not use it that often. I put a lot of mine in another box just because it was sliding around.

There are a *lot* of Ogres. More than you're likely to need. Leave some unassembled and you free up space in the Ogre garage for counters. I know, blasphemy, I'm putting counters in the Ogre garage and not carrying around more Ogres than I could ever use. Whatever. If you've already assembled all the Ogres you can keep a couple on your desk (I do, 2.5D constructables and pewter...) and put the rest in a plastic shoebox with some of the terrain you don't need. Toss in some of the missile crawlers, unless you have a scenario that needs more than a dozen, in which case please share.

If you plan on using Nihon maybe it should be in the main box. If you plan on carrying a secondary box everywhere then Nihon would be a prime candidate for the secondary storage.

All things considered, though, you have to be grateful: you have more beautiful Ogre stuff than you can fit in the largest game box you own. What could be better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.