Subject: The decision is driving me nuts! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Olson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK -- so I'm going to get a couple new games ahead of Tabletop day -- one focused on 2-player fun with the Mrs., and one heavier game for the gaming group.

Decision 1: Battle Line vs. The Duke

Decision 2: Power Grid (and Robots) vs. Manhattan Project

Fight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Duvall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
The Duke is awesome if you like games like Chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I haven't played The Duke yet (despite owning it and wanting to play it), but Battle Line is excellent. It's a modern classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J. Cummings
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is amazing in my opinion but works the best when there are 4 or 5 people. I haven't played the Manhattan Project, so I'm not too certain how it compares, but Power Grid is one of my top group board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played both Power Grid and Manhattan Project.

Manhattan Project is a very good game but I think it runs a little too long for what it is. I do really like what the role cards in the expansion add to it, that extra layer of depth is great, but at the end of the day it's a pretty straightforward Euro with the cool "retrieve workers when you want" strategy thrown in. I've never played it with 2, but found the game was lots of fun at 4 and 5 and something felt missing at 3.

Power Grid is unique and great. The decisions are interesting and any (decent) map is highly replayable. Objectively, it truly is something special. I got rid of it because it touts itself as a financial game but a lot of those Finance parts are scripted in a gamey way, IMO (income, how the market gets resupplied, etc). But that's just me and how I approach games about finance.

Neither of these games are worth buying to play with 2, even with Robots expansion (though it is playable like that). Also, print out a good player Aid for Power Grid if you get it. The rules can be confusing but since I was prepared in advance, I never had an issue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line without a doubt. I recommend getting Duke eventually, but Battle Line is the better first experience- and you may realize that its more than enough to satiate that feel of 1v1 tension.

Power Grid is the better choice of your second pair because of the flexibility of the game design. I like the theme of Manhattan Project, but Power Grid is just so good. (I have not played with Robot)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Olson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Have you played PG with just 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to choose I would say Battle Line and Manhattan Project. But then again those are two games I personally want to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KnightProducer wrote:
Have you played PG with just 2 players?

I have. It's terrible. Good with 3 or 6, very good with 4 or 5, but awful with just 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 1: Battle Line. I agree with someone above: modern classic. High tension. Fun strategic play. And just-one-more addictive.

Options 2: Power Grid is also a classic. But these two games are different enough that you could decide by dissecting more of what you want. Do you want worker placement? Do you want economic? Do you want indirect confrontation? Do you want the potential for attacking/direct confrontation? Do you want auctions? Etc. etc.

I would personally choose Power Grid because I think it's an interesting auction struggle with a fun spacial tug-of-war. And I have plenty of other favorite worker-placement games that TMP gets beaten out in that category. But this is according to my likes and collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Olson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Have you played PG as a 2-player? Opinions I've received are split on whether it really works with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnightProducer wrote:
Have you played PG as a 2-player? Opinions I've received are split on whether it really works with two.

The opinions really aren't that split. It's not nearly as good with 2. I don't see anyone saying otherwise. It is great with 3 or more. But you don't need to play it with 2. That is what Battle Line is for.

BTW: The Duke is good. But Battle Line is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.