Subject: GAMA news: New Master Set. 8 hybrid factions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://twitter.com/thedicetower/status/446794205726126080

This is crazy! How come not enough people are talking about this? Let's whip up a frenzy folks!!

Cmon Colby!! Spill!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must.. Buy..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say what?!?!? That sounds awesome! Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WHAAAATT?!? I haven't heard anything about this!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I wasn't expecting it, this does make sense from what we've seen so far.

Quite a-few alliances have sprung up recently in the fluff, and I do recall the devs mentioned wanting to focus on the existing fourteen factions rather then introducing new ones...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is absolutely huge. Just when I thought SW couldn't get any better, and we'll get a storage solution!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sand goblins and cloaks! That's gonna happen if the bios are to be trusted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any speculation? Match ups, how it will work, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that they will be complete faction decks with "ambivalent" summoners who can work equally with either/both of two specific factions. The unit cards will belong to one faction or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
My guess is that they will be complete faction decks with "ambivalent" summoners who can work equally with either/both of two specific factions. The unit cards will belong to one faction or the other.

Yeah, that sounds about right to me. Like, if there's a Vanguard Vargath summoner, he would say something like "Goat Knight, Summoner of the Vanguard/Mountain Vargath Alliance", with a new deckbuilding rule that says a summoner of an alliance can include units from both factions. And then the units in the deck would be about half Vanguard, half Vargath, with some alliance flavor in both the units and events.

I'm hoping for Filth Elves (of the Phoenix variety), personally. And I'm not sure if the Orcs and Dwarves will group by racial lines, but if not, Swamp Orcs / Cave Goblins seems like fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
Swamp Orcs / Cave Goblins seems like fun.

Except those vine walls would play havoc with cave goblin swarms. They already have a tough time maneuvering all their guys around the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the purposes of a hybrid faction, I bet the cave goblins would be able to move onto/off of vine walls with no difficulty, like the swamp orcs themselves can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmarie wrote:
For the purposes of a hybrid faction, I bet the cave goblins would be able to move onto/off of vine walls with no difficulty, like the swamp orcs themselves can.

Ah, that would make sense. And be pretty amazing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
cmarie wrote:

Ah, that would make sense. And be pretty amazing

Well, it's all speculation at this point, even the theory that hybrid decks will contain 2 different factions, but within the context of that speculation, I can see it working a few different ways.

Maybe the Swamp Orc/whatever summoner has a special ability that helps your non-orcs deal with Vine Walls (like, "choose a unit, that unit does not have to roll to move off of vine walls this turn"), or maybe the non-orc units will have Vine Wall specials, leaving you to deal with it in some other way if you deck-build other units in. Or maybe the hybrid summoner doesn't have special walls at all, or has a different kind of special wall.

Like maybe, Minor Vine Walls don't affect movement at all, but can attack, either with their own ability or with the summoner's ability ("Instead of attacking, roll a d6. On a 5 or higher, deal 1 wound to each unit standing on one of your Minor Vine Walls" OR "Instead of attacking, choose up to 3 of your Minor Vine Walls. Each of the chosen walls attacks an adjacent unit as if it were a unit with 1 AV and the sword symbol.")

There's so many cool things they could potentially do with hybrid summoners - I'm sure we'll end up being surprised one way or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whoa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTBAM wrote:
whoa.

Oh, don't pretend to be surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How can they just put this one bean out there and not spill more? Your beans are too orderly, PHG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be skipping this. Although it looks cool it seems like the reinforcements- cool if you have them but not as important as the factions themselves. I thought they might release a master set 2.0 with second summoners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has found the reinforcements the least appetizing of the SW offerings to date, and not being much into SW deck customization, this still sounds really exciting to me -- just like I love the Mercenaries faction even though I don't much add Mercs to other factions.

A box with eight new summoners in complete decks (if that's really what it is) is more than I had hoped for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't require any deckbuilding to be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brain doesn't even know how to process this, especially with so little information. I am still super excited, but I wish I knew more about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I already have enough Summoner Wars stuff but the storage solution is an absolute must.

Getting new hybrid factions is simply a bonus.

This will be one of my 10 purchases for the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.