Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the size of boards in old and new version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After selling my original complete Catacombs set a while ago, I periodically suffered from seller's remorse.

When they announced this KS campaign for a new edition, I readily backed it on day one.

However, I will admit, much of my decision was based on the promise of newer, 'better' and bigger boards.

I am excited (and almost...concerned?) to read the news once they unveil it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Well the "better" sounds like graphical improvements but they also said "bigger" so that will be great as well. I'm assuming it'll go 24" x 12" because it seems like the size limitation of the width of the board is going to be determined by the box size. They might be looking at boxes bigger than 12" x 12" but that starts to eat up space fast which makes shipping harder. I think FFG cutting out the "coffin" sized boxes and going to the standard square footprint speaks to the challenge of larger boxes. Though I would flip out if the board was something like the standard 20" x 30" size. That would be insanely cool. Not sure how feasible it is logistically though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's something on the kickstarter page that states "improved components"...so maybe the boards are of slightly better quality, as well.

Although, size was only ever the real issue.

Oh...how I've heard that phrase so many times before...sigh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Update just posted on board size:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/243822264/catacombs-0/p...

Looks like they are going to the popular 12" x 24" size. A really great improvement in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris is correct. Board size will increase from 51cm x 25.5cm (20 inches x 10 inches) to 61cm x 30.5cm (24 inches x 12inches) (these are approximate) which takes up approximately to a 12"x12" box.

More details and a graphic here on our KS update page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/243822264/catacombs-0/p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a cabinet maker build me a really nice Catacombs board a few years ago. Now I will have to have a new one made!

I doubt I will be backing the new KS, I find the new art atrocious, but am really hoping there will be an add-on kit for folks who have EVERYTHING from the original edition. Please keep supporting the original edition.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Napier
United States
Mililani
HI
flag msg tools
mb
Aron,

Will there be a way to purchase just the new boards either direct from the publisher or through the kickstarter?

I am very happy with my original version, but I would like to have the bigger boards. I realize the art styles wouldn't match, but that is ok with me. My kids and I have a lot of fun playing the game and the only thing we really would like is a bigger board.

Thanks,
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave, no plans to offer the boards separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Napier
United States
Mililani
HI
flag msg tools
mb
Aron,

Thanks for the quick response. Catacombs is a great game. Hope your kickstarter campaign is a huge success.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.