Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

I'm new to BGG and tabletop gaming. I've had a growing interest in it for a few years but not until I downloaded the MTG app and then showed up at my local game store randomly to play MTG, did board games and card games become a real joy for me. I even played in an 8 week long descent campaign at my game store.

Anyway. My husband is much more into video games, specifically MMO style games like guild wars 2.

So far of the games I own he enjoys Lengends of Andor A LOT. And he has interest in Descent and we have a group starting a campaign next weekend. He also enjoys pandemic & forbidden island/dessert. So it seems co-ops are what he likes. Any suggestions on other games he might enjoy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoot. I should have posted this under recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of my favorite co-ops are Eldritch Horror and Defenders of the Realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about gears of war .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders Of The Realm(Fantasy Pandemic gone crazy) is great.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set is also impressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Level 7 [Omega Protocol] OR Gears of War: The Board Game OR Galaxy Defenders. Read into all these games. Gears of War's been around for a while and is quite a bit better than you'd think a game based off a half-decent videogame should be. However, I think Level 7 might have overtaken it. Galaxy Defenders is pretty much XCOM the boardgame.

Mage Knight Board Game (the Lost Legion expansion is great for co-op/solitaire play.... although you definitely don't need it, the base game has plenty to tackle). I love this game, it's got great decisions within, even solitaire.

Space Alert (realtime co-op, you all try to fend off attacks on your spaceship and keep it together). Kinda like the videogame FTL, if you want to describe it to your husband.

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game (quick and portable but brutal and thematic co-op. It's cheap, so this can be bought along with anything else you buy.)

Other themes:
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island (excellent game about being stranded on a deserted isle. Way better than you'd expect)

Freedom: The Underground Railroad (help American slaves get to freedom in Canada. It's a deeper and more mature Pandemic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J. Cummings
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If he likes mmo's like Guild Wars, he might like the RPG sets? Something like Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set or Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
+1 for all of Moe's suggestions above. Just based on what you say about your husband, Level 7: Omega Protocol particularly sounds right up his alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Kmumansky wrote:
Shoot. I should have posted this under recommendations.

Hit the Red-X at the top of the thread and mark the thread "Wrong Forum" and hopefully an admin will move the thread to the Recommendations forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Feel free to introduce yourself here, if you'd like:

So, Who Are the Ladies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
You and him might enjoy Mage Wars as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks! I actually got the pathfinder card game & Robinson Crusoe for my birthday. We have been playing 2 games a week lately so we will try one of those soon. He doesn't seem interested in card games at all because he assumes they will be like Magic. I'm gonna look into these other games. Once we finish all the legends in Legends of Andor I'm not sure how much he will want to replay it - it seems like once you've figured it out you'd beat it every time. Of course it took us 3 attempts at the intro to figure out how to win lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kristen, now you must buy Space Hulk: Death Angel. It will school you on your preconceptions of what a card game can be. Or just watch a few reviews

I think you have hope to have a regular satisfying gaming experience with your husband. Tread carefully
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Kristen, now you must buy Space Hulk: Death Angel. It will school you on your preconceptions of what a card game can be. Or just watch a few reviews

I think you have hope to have a regular satisfying gaming experience with your husband. Tread carefully

Looking into it I do still have an amazon gift card on my account
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find them, I bet he would like World of Warcraft: The Boardgame or World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game.

Otherwise, I'd look into Defenders of the Realm. Each scenario has quests and fighting bosses, but then there is also a 5 scenario campaign that the designer posted on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
For co-ops my favs are Elder Sign, Escape: The Curse of the Temple and Flash Point: Fire Rescue. As for other games, check out my current collection as there's a good mix of games that people can learn quickly and play decently without much experience (aka gateway games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dizzle
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Zombicide?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Fox
United States
Cairo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kmumansky wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm new to BGG and tabletop gaming. I've had a growing interest in it for a few years but not until I downloaded the MTG app and then showed up at my local game store randomly to play MTG, did board games and card games become a real joy for me. I even played in an 8 week long descent campaign at my game store.

Anyway. My husband is much more into video games, specifically MMO style games like guild wars 2.

So far of the games I own he enjoys Lengends of Andor A LOT. And he has interest in Descent and we have a group starting a campaign next weekend. He also enjoys pandemic & forbidden island/dessert. So it seems co-ops are what he likes. Any suggestions on other games he might enjoy?

Co Op game with lots of replayability and is all around good fun?

Sentinels of the Multiverse

Absolutely FANTASTIC game that scales decently depending on the number of players. Everyone pics a super hero who must take down a bad guy. With the latest version of the game, you actually have a team of villains that your team of heroes has to take down. All and all good fun. Wife and I try to play it as much as we can and we both have a great time with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you like dogfights in space? Check out Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game.

You can get to playing very quickly with the quickstart rules from the core set, and if you get sufficiently excited about the game, you can buy (another core set and) an expansion here and there to add to the experience. The game can be played competitively, but also very casually, you decide.

The miniatures look great and are pre-painted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkest Night
Eldritch Horror

These are my favorite in the point-to-point co-operative games.

A great dungeon crawl type game (besides Descent obvi) would be the recent release Level 7 [Omega Protocol]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Kmumansky wrote:
Hi everyone!

Welcome to the Geek!

Don't know if you and your husband were into the show, but (IMHO) an outstanding co-op from a sci-fi point of view is Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Kmumansky wrote:
Hi everyone!

Welcome to the Geek!

Don't know if you and your husband were into the show, but (IMHO) an outstanding co-op from a sci-fi point of view is Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

Battlestar is one of his favorite shows of all times. I do want to get that game but I have to assume its best played with 4 or more people right? Because of the cylons? We have a descent group starting so maybe that's something to think about for after the campaign is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great ideas here. I'm looking into all of them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kmumansky wrote:
Battlestar is one of his favorite shows of all times. I do want to get that game but I have to assume its best played with 4 or more people right?

The base game is best with 5, but you can learn to play with 3. If you have 4 players often, I recommend getting the Daybreak expansion, which contains two good balancing options (Cylon Leader and Mutineer) for 4-player and 6-player games. (Although you might want to have a little more advanced player playing with the Cylon Leader.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A great co-op? Ghost Stories all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.