13 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Am I missing something with combat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Suchon
msg tools
Good morning all - I have the base game + F&F

I played through my third game of Civ last night, and the first one my GF and I really went into combat through.

I'm not sure I understand combat completely. Last night we had a battle on one of my non-walled cities, 3 figures each.

We played our cards and I ended up losing 3 units and she lost 4. However when we counted up the battle bonus, I ended up having a smaller number.

Now am I understanding the rules right that I lost not only ALL my figures, but also the city, even though I still had a bunch of units in my deck?

And if that's the case, that seems absolutely crushing to lose even one city, to the point that I don't know if there's a way to recover from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
You played wrong.
You can't have a battle with figures in your city. It's not allowed to move your own figures into your own cities!
Your GF attacks your city with 3 units which means she draws 3 cards + 4 cards (2 for every figure not counting the first). You defend with a non-walled city = 6 cards.
That's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When defending a city you can use 6 units to defend. The attacker with single army can use 3 units. If they have 2 armies they can use 5 units, 3 armies 7 units etc.

You can indeed fortify your city with an army figure. You then get +2 in combat strength in that city for one battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cash1981 wrote:

You can indeed fortify your city with an army figure. You then get +2 in combat strength in that city for one battle.

This is a special action in F&F. It's the only time you could move a figure into a city. You then remove it and add a fortify marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
cash1981 wrote:

This is a special action in F&F. It's the only time you could move a figure into a city. You then remove it and add a fortify marker.

Correct. He did state that he is using F&F
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I constantly wonder why so many people are moving their army figures onto their cities. I think it is pretty clearly mentioned in the rules that this is not allowed. (yeah, except for the F&F exception)
I know its counter-intuitive, but thats why there is a rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think many people played Civilization for the PC and there you have to move your army into your city otherwise the city is without defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Suchon
msg tools
I did indeed start by playing on the PC.

But honestly - combat still doesn't make sense to me. The combat bonus in my mind would be a modifier to modify your units strength, not some arbitrary number you use to decide who wins and loses at the end of the game.

There's a question in the FAQ that asks, if the defending city has no units available, but a higher bonus than the attacking city, does the defending city win the battle and the answer is Yes. It just...maybe I'm reading too far into it but it strikes me as very odd.

And I understand a bit more about the fortifying now - that makes more sense to me.

Thanks for the answers - now it'll go better in game 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the combat bonus is far from being some "arbitrary number". And this is important! The combat bonus can modify a value of 0 too. Why shouldn't it? The thing is: Don't you want your decisions during the game, like building city walls, building barracks and fortifications and gathering great Admirals, have no influence on your combat at all, just because you don't have your army around?
Players who go for different winning conditions sometimes just don't go strong into military. Does this mean that their cities just don't defend themselves at all? I would say that even peaceful nations have garrisons in their cities. An army of another nation can't just march through your cities without having to face some resistance.

Some people also think of the combat bonus as a form of reinforcements or tactical advantages. You CAN definitely win battles even though you are outnumbered by your enemy. History showed us before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Suchon
msg tools
Anduin wrote:
the combat bonus is far from being some "arbitrary number". And this is important! The combat bonus can modify a value of 0 too. Why shouldn't it? The thing is: Don't you want your decisions during the game, like building city walls, building barracks and fortifications and gathering great Admirals, have no influence on your combat at all, just because you don't have your army around?
Players who go for different winning conditions sometimes just don't go strong into military. Does this mean that their cities just don't defend themselves at all? I would say that even peaceful nations have garrisons in their cities. An army of another nation can't just march through your cities without having to face some resistance.

Some people also think of the combat bonus as a form of reinforcements or tactical advantages. You CAN definitely win battles even though you are outnumbered by your enemy. History showed us before

Alright alright I'll curb my frustration (partially from not knowing the rules very well) and try it again with an open mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pigasos15 pigasos15
Greece
Oropos
ΑΤΤΙΚΙ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cant understand a thing about battles though. you must choose random units from your standing forces in order to fight.This doesnt make sense.Why cant you choose what units you want to participate in battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pigasos15 wrote:
I cant understand a thing about battles though. you must choose random units from your standing forces in order to fight.This doesnt make sense.Why cant you choose what units you want to participate in battle?

Because you draw your units according to the number of armies you have. And if you have more units in your standing forces than the armysize actually is, you draw randomly. This is because there is no game mechanic that lets you track where which unit is on the map. If you could choose the units fromyour standing forces at the beginning of combaty it would make even lesssense, because this would mean that your 'unique' units can participate in every battle, even if they are very far apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
pigasos15 wrote:

Because you draw your units according to the number of armies you have. And if you have more units in your standing forces than the armysize actually is, you draw randomly. This is because there is no game mechanic that lets you track where which unit is on the map. If you could choose the units fromyour standing forces at the beginning of combaty it would make even lesssense, because this would mean that your 'unique' units can participate in every battle, even if they are very far apart.

Or you have to assign your cards to your cities and unit figures which would lead to a boring game since everybody has to build a lot of units and assign it to the cities otherwise they would be without defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.