Popular Tags: [View All]
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!
I've just bought Memoir44 and had my first games.
Very nice game and it is PERFECT to let newgamers approach our wonderful hobby.

Of course I immediately bought some expansions, the only available from my retailer, Eastern Front and Breakthrough.

I thought the winter map from Breakthrough was perfect to play Eastern Front scenarios but....it is not!cry

Am I wrong? Am I right?
Have I to wait for the Winter map to play Eastern Front? (Apart the countryside standard map) or should I be able to play it easily on the Breakthrough winter too?
Hints?

EDIT: are the Breakthrough map useful for Overlord style scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The breakthrough map is for specifically breakthrough scenarios. Breakthrough is a different (larger) format for scenarios.

You don't actually need the winter map to play Eastern Front scenarios, it just looks nicer. All those winter terain tiles on a green map looks a bit odd, but there is no actual gameplay difference at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"are the Breakthrough map useful for Overlord style scenarios?"

In a word, no. Both are very different Memoir experiences. Breakthrough is vertically oriented, whereas Overlord has a wide expansive frontline. Eastern Front scenarios are available in all variations of Memoir, whether you play Overlord, Breakthrough, or one-board setups.

There is an abundance of information on the DoW and BGG site (posts) that should familiarize you with everything Memoir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob.Gibson wrote:
There is an abundance of information on the DoW and BGG site (posts) that should familiarize you with everything Memoir.

Specifically this: Memoir '44 expansions and scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get yourself a desert/winter board for eastern front and Middle east scenarios in vanilla M44 format. Try ebay if you can't get one elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel J.
Mongolia
Ulaanbaatar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep you can pick up the desert/winter board online for around $15. no reason you can't just use the standard game board, but it really is a lot more pleasing on the eyes.

For Breakthrough you require a copy of Winter Wars expansion for the Breakthrough deck. The standard deck does work, but the Breakthrough deck allows you to order units and then gives you 'units on the move' which allows you to move your troops forward faster.

You might also wanna pick up the Terrain Pack - you are more than likely going to be short of terrain tiles when using the Breakthrough maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.