Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Nason
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got two core sets and I'm ready to play, but I have a question or two for you rules gurus...

Assuming Tyrion (6/5) pins a River Troll (5/5), Tyrion deals 6 damage to the Troll, causing a wound. The Troll deals 5 back to Tyrion, also causing a wound. Neither disk is eliminated because they can each take an extra wound before dying. Fine.

Next Round: Neither disk moves, as Tyrion is not activated and so the Troll is still pinned. Does the engagement continue in the melee phase? In other words, do Tyrion and the Troll both damage each other, therefore each sustaining an additional wound and being eliminated?

To boil the question down further, do disks continue to damage each other if they remain engaged (one pinning the other) from round to round? Does the pinning disk need to be activated to continue the engagement, or is it merely the pinning which continues the engagement?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm sure the answers are obvious, but I couldn't find them in the forum or rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They would in fact fight again in the next Melee round. As long as they are pinned they will fight in every melee round. This is especially sucky when neither disk can do enough damage to kill the other. Though, the top disk always has the ability to leave combat when it's turn to be activated comes around.

Have fun!

This is a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless top disk (the pinner) moves off and remains off the pinned disk, they will be engaged again to be resolved in that Melee Phase for the second time. Of note, the Activation Phase cannot end until both sides have all of their disks pinned or activated and secondly if no more Command Cards to play. So in your case Tyrion would have to be activated, unless it's owner is out of Command Cards, for the Melee Phase to start. Of course it can be activated by simply the Pass ability where you activate it, do nothing with it and place a token. Also you can activate it, move it off and then back on to re-pin the same disk. That would be helpful if that disk had Impact or you just want to get a better position or maybe pin additional disks or even overlap an advantageous terrain along with the original pinned disk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nason
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MechaBriZilla wrote:
They would in fact fight again in the next Melee round. As long as they are pinned they will fight in every melee round. This is especially sucky when neither disk can do enough damage to kill the other. Though, the top disk always has the ability to leave combat when it's turn to be activated comes around.

Have fun!

This is a great game!

Great! Thanks for the answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nason
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
m4rtst3r wrote:
Also you can activate it, move it off and then back on to re-pin the same disk. That would be helpful if that disk had Impact or you just want to get a better position or maybe pin additional disks or even overlap an advantageous terrain along with the original pinned disk.

I'm confused by this. On page 19 under "Moving" it states:

"A disk does not pin a disk again after a flip if it was already pinning that disk prior to the flip."

So, if I read that correctly, a pinning disk can't leave an engagement (flip away from the pinned disk) and then re-pin the disk it was just pinning by moving back onto it.

Am I reading/interpreting this wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
It's prior to the -individual- flip. So if a disk starts his movement on an enemy and flips so that he's still on top of that disk he has not repinned the enemy. On the other hand, if you move off then when you move back on prior to the -individual- flip that puts you back on you were off of it and so you do repin it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nason
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Velensk wrote:
It's prior to the -individual- flip. So if a disk starts his movement on an enemy and flips so that he's still on top of that disk he has not repinned the enemy. On the other hand, if you move off then when you move back on prior to the -individual- flip that puts you back on you were off of it and so you do repin it.

Got it. That makes sense. Now one last question regarding this situation and Impact.

On page 21 it states: "A disk cannot deal impact damage
to a disk it was already pinning prior to flipping. Impact damage is not
applied when a disk is deployed or reinforced pinning another disk, or
when a flying disk moves over a disk without ending its movement."

So, if a disk starts a round pinning an enemy disk, gets activated, flips away, then flips back onto and pins that same enemy disk, does it get to use Impact or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Yes, if you unpin and then repin a disk you deal impact damage again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how Impact with Relentless can be such a deadly combo. Or even Impact and using Karl Franz's ability to take an Activation Token off of a pinning disk with Imapct (who has already done impact damage this round) and allow it to flip off and then back on to deal Impact damage for the second time that round. All before Melee Phase. Not many disks can live through that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nason
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thank you to all who responded to my questions! I can't wait to get this to the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filippo Donnini
Italy
flag msg tools
As usual, i should refer you to the Sniper Troll blog for its clear explanation of basic (and not-so-basic) rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.