Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a huge discussion about cell phones in another thread and I thought it would make a good poll.

Cell Phones at the Gaming Table

Poll
Do you have a cell phone?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
93.6% 350
No
6.4% 24
Voters 374
How do you feel about others using cell phones during gaming?
Doesn't bother me.
4.0% 15
If it doesn't effect the game I am fine with it.
47.5% 177
They should only be used for work or family needs.
32.2% 120
They should not be used except in extreme need.
25.2% 94
NEVER!!!!
2.7% 10
Voters 373
Imagine someone is making a game drag because they are constantly goofing on their phone. Would you...
Ignore it.
11.0% 41
Ask or Tell them to put it away.
77.5% 290
Try to take the phone.
0.5% 2
Use a device to block the signal.
1.6% 6
Let it be for now, but never play with them again.
9.4% 35
Voters 374
Have you ever used a phone during games?
NEVER!!!
21.1% 78
I have used programs that add to the game such as scoring apps etc.
41.6% 154
I occasionally use it for none gaming related things.
32.4% 120
I take photos during games.
31.6% 117
I have used it for work or family related things.
45.1% 167
I don't have a phone.
3.5% 13
Other.
7.3% 27
Voters 370
How about when you aren't playing a tabletop game?
I have game apps that aren't boardgame ports.
49.2% 181
I have boardgame ports that I use.
46.7% 172
I never use my phone for gaming.
23.6% 87
I don't have a cell phone or one that can play games.
16.0% 59
Other.
5.2% 19
Voters 368
This poll is now closed.   375 answers
Poll created by Syvanis
Closes: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:00 am

6 - The other thread got pretty negative towards cell phones. Tell us a way that cell phones are a good things for gaming. Of course you can tell us why they aren't as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I mostly game with my kids... and I pay for their phones, taking them away is not an issue. arrrh

My theory is you either want to play or you don't. Either is fine. I never force my kids to play. I am trying to teach them it is polite to be engaged when playing a game (or when interacting with others in any format). I'd rather have idle chit-chat between turns cause the game to drag on rather than have everyone wrapped up in their own little universe.

I think apps (the Sentinels of the Mutliverse one) can aid in playing games, and that is fine. I personally like to set it up with all the bits. Other than that the only thing I use my cellphone for while playing a game is listening to Rhapsody or XM Radio (not with headphones, but through a speaker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a dumbphone . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the most valuable use for a cell phone is to order pizza or something to eat in order to do not interrupt gaming sessions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
I have a dumbphone . . .

Yeah, I have one and an iPod as well, so I assume that counts as a 2 part SmartPhone for most applications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The poll didn't really distinguish between making calls / sending messages (which I suppose many of us would prefer people wouldn't do during a game) and receiving calls / messages (which doesn't bother me if it happens occasionally and the person says "Can I call you back later?" when it's (typically) not an urgent matter).

Technically my very ancient low-res gray LCD-screen cell phone has a version of a boardgame: the "Bantumi" implementation of Kalah, and I do indeed play it occasionally.

Quote:
6. Tell us a way that cell phones are a good things for gaming.

Phones are useful for arranging gaming meetings and for last minute messages like "I forgot your address, what is it?" or "Sorry, I'll be 15 minutes late"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cell phones can be good for gaming that include politicking. In Diplomacy we have switched from hand written notes to texting, this allows for more secrecy in planning. In other games with politics we use them for secret comms with other players to add to the intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Groeneweg
United States
Clear Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have a cell phone. It's a work issued cell phone. I don't know if I'd have one if I had to pay for it myself. I just don't like people being able to bother me whenever they feel like it where ever I am.
It is a nice "insurance policy" tho. If I have an emergency, I can reach out.
I personally think it's rude to use a phone during game play. I think you are there to interact with the other people at the table, not somebody who is not even there. But, that's just me.

I do think technology is changing how people interact. I personally feel that my kids' generation is loosing some of the social skills that my generation has. Maybe I should say... it's a different kind of social?? I think about the group of young gals I saw in a restaurant. None of them was talking to each other, they were all dinking around with their phones. If I was one of them, I'd be pissed. "Why am I sitting here with you if you aren't even interacting with me?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, this cell phone thing completely depends on your culture. I never even considered it a problem until BGG users talked about it.

According to BGG, Americans seem to play in these little rooms with smelly people (information I gathered from the "hygiene" thread) and the room is totally silent apart from their group. They often also expose their "cracks" if the game is Magic the Gathering. In that scenario, yes, cellphones would suck because you just want to escape the smell and make them hurry up. I know that is all fiction, but the vibe people are giving off on BGG about their game groups - it sounds pretty unfun! But its all very interesting, totally different than my experiences of gaming.

My situation is completely different. I don't have a "game group". I have friends who also enjoy playing games. We don't meet in a "den" and we always wash ourselves. We meet after work, probably in the local pub. Many pubs here actually have board games (Ticket to Ride etc), but we bring along games such as Battlestar Galactica. We relax in the pub, drink brewdog IPA, sit back on the sofa, use our cellphones as much as we want, and play the board game, all at the same time. If someone told me to put away the phone - sorry, but that is not acceptable. Its a social occasion, deal with it, people are fully welcome to walk about, go get a drink, talk to random people, play with their phones, I dont care!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished our new hardwood floor. When folks come to play games we have a chair where they can take off their shoes, put on socks with tread (we wash them after each use) and a box to place their cell phones. I don't mind them taking photos of the game during play, but Simon's Cat and other stuff is a real drag! I like to watch that stuff after play. When 2 hour games take 4+ hours there is a problem beyond normal socializing.

I can't think of a good honest old fashioned use for cell phones during gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The guys I game with all have small kids and jobs that sometimes spill over into their personal time, so we all tend to look at emails or texts occasionally when we know it might be important and respond accordingly. This usually happens when it's not that person's turn, t doesn't happen often and it's never an actual phone call.

In some cases it might actually speed up the game as the person is focused on answering an email as opposed to talking which inevitably drags the person whose turn it is into the conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I have a non-smart phone, but I only carry it when traveling out of town. Otherwise, it sits in a dresser drawer.

2., 3. I hate having games interrupted by cell phones, but I realize that some of my gaming associates are connected to social milieus where SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG if they don't respond forthwith to the most trivial of electronic messagings.

4. I use a camera to take game photos during games once in a while. My phone has nothing to contribute to tabletop gaming.

5. There is a klondike solitaire game on my phone. I played it a couple of times.

6. Nope. I can't think of anything good to say about phones in gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a phone...that I use as a...well phone.

It is sometimes on during games (usually when I am away from home) but it really only gets used for emergencies. If my wife or sons need to get ahold of me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
For #3, I chose "ask them to put it away", but before it gets to that I usually just remind them its their turn and glare at them and their phone as I do it. It gets the message across most of the time and I don't play with douchers so they often feel guilty and stop screwing around for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the very rare work call or emergency, I only ever use it to look up rules question on BGG which doesn't happen much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other night, my wife and I were at our FLGS for game night. I look over and my wife is on her phone... and it's kind of a serious pet peeve of mine. I know she is there more for me than for the gaming, but seriously. I log it away in my head to talk to her later about it...

She then shows me her phone and she was looking at the forums on the 'Geek to prove to the guy teaching her Glory to Rome that she was right about a rule he had slammed her on. I have never been prouder.

I am fine with people using their phones during games, especially if it is just clearing up a rules query that some of us are having, or for family emergencies or such. I do not like to have to remind you of it being your turn, or if you doing so drags the game, because you don't know what you are going to do on your turn, but it's fine as the exception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
3: I generally ignore an initial use of the cell phone for incoming calls as these are not always controllable. However, repeated use of the phone or answering a call and staying on the call for a long period of time does detract from the social experience of gaming. I have commented in these situations.

However, I find that most people can recognize this distinction, and no comments are usually necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fedspaz wrote:
I do have a cell phone. It's a work issued cell phone. I don't know if I'd have one if I had to pay for it myself. I just don't like people being able to bother me whenever they feel like it where ever I am.
It is a nice "insurance policy" tho. If I have an emergency, I can reach out.
I personally think it's rude to use a phone during game play. I think you are there to interact with the other people at the table, not somebody who is not even there. But, that's just me.

I do think technology is changing how people interact. I personally feel that my kids' generation is loosing some of the social skills that my generation has. Maybe I should say... it's a different kind of social?? I think about the group of young gals I saw in a restaurant. None of them was talking to each other, they were all dinking around with their phones. If I was one of them, I'd be pissed. "Why am I sitting here with you if you aren't even interacting with me?"

They may have been messaging each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind people checking things on their phone if they're not affecting the game by doing so.

I occasionally will check mine for emails/messages in case anything important comes up, but only if it's a game with long enough between turns that I will have time to get back to it and plan what I want to do before it's me again.

I've taken photo's, but only at or very nearly at the end of the game where the final scores/paths everyone's taken can be seen.

I have a couple of games on my phone, but voted never as there's maybe 3 days/year I'll open one, and even then it'll be because we're on a train/coach journey or something.

They aren't good for gaming, they're a distraction, I just like to be updated on things and don't like discouraging others from feeling the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of using them for texting in games with political/negotiation elements. Well, except all my gaming friends are largely old like me, and not very speedy with the texts.

One of my gaming buddies in particular just can't seem to keep his cell phone away, and is often peering at it during games. As he has some vision issues, it's pretty noticeable, as he has to hold it close up to his eyes (and at kind of an odd angle) to read it. As we from time to time have to remind him that it's his turn, as he's busy reading the thing, it does get annoying. I rib him about it fairly consistently.

I've always liked the idea of going to lunch, and the first person to pull out their cell phone for any reason buys lunch for everyone. Perhaps that could be put in place as a rule for our gaming group…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 2 cell phones, 1 for work and one for personal
2. The occasional call/text/email is fine. Calls to missing players or for food are plusses. Looking up rules/clarifications is great (though more likely to use a laptop - I'm old-fashioned that way).
3. If a player needs to delay a game with calls/messages, I would expect him/her to apologize and let us know what is going on (generally) so we can decide whether to wait or move on (find a replacement, put the game away, play a filler while we wait, get up and get a snack, etc.). If an explanation is not forthcoming, I ask for one. Also, if a call will be lengthy, I might expect/ask player to leave the board.
4. Yes. Work/family issues, brief responses to messages, checking calendar to make plans, among others.
5. Used to play poker on my phone. Love to get my notices that it is my turn on SpielByWeb.
6. Best part is it makes it easier for others to spend time gaming, even if something might come up, rather than staying at home tethered to a landline.

Gaming is an important part of my life, but it is recreation. Other parts of life come first for me, and I assume for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I generally would object to using phone/laptop to look up strategy article during a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ok with a quick call or text (esp if received). If it is constant then I get annoyed. If I receive a call, first I only answer it if it isn't my turn. Second, I apologize and step away from the table. Third, I make it quick and say "I'll call you back." I never make a call unless it's to order food from next door.

It irritates me to see people tapping on their fancy phones constantly when it isn't their turn. Not only is it impolite, it also increases AP because generally they were not thinking about their turn beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes I have a cell phone.

2. I don't mind people using their phones during gaming provided it doesn't impact their ability to keep up with the game.

3. If someone was constantly fiddling with their phone, I'd ask them to pay more attention to the game at hand. I might even send them a text to that effect.

4. I've used a phone during a game to check out rules questions on BGG, check on my PBF games, and log game plays (or take a picture, if I don't have wi-fi, so I can log it later). Rules check-ups happen as needed. I log plays when it's not my turn, and can socialize while doing so. I'll only check in on PBF games (or do other reading) when it's not my turn and someone is taking forever on theirs. So if my phone is out for reading, you're taking too long.

(In regards to the last point, socializing between turns isn't always an option. I can't talk over my seat neighbors if they're negotiating on one of their turns. A lone cylon in a BSG game can't help the humans out with their turns, and will often be told to shut up while they spend 10 minutes figuring out their turn.)

5. I don't use my phone for gaming. I spend enough time looking at computer screens that I don't need to try to play games on my little phone.

6. Phones are good for checking out rules questions, particularly when I'm not near a computer. We also recently found an app for Arkham Horror that will manage all the encounter cards for you - it's amazing. I don't generally like mixing games and tech like that, but it saved us from having to deal with ~10 decks of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I don't care.

If someone is poking, we tell them to hurry their a&% up.

If the game takes a bit longer, so be it.

But, the cell phone use for us is usually texting or check a score of a sports game. Neither of those affects anything. If it does, well, no one has told me to knock it off. On occassion, someone will get a call or have to make a call. Hey, it happens.

We are not the kind of group that is in silent and flys through a game. We all poke, chat, listen to music, talk smack. We enjoy each others company. My group ROCKS.

Good uses for cell phones...rule clarification, pictures of the game (to upload to FB, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.