Up Front» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about rule 13.23 Smoke rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Carr
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
13.23. Smoke does not prevent a Terrain card from being played on a previously placed Movement card, it merely adds to the defensive value of the last played Terrain card beneath it in that group.

I have trouble understanding the above rule. I thought only open ground can be played beneath a smoke card and any terrain played above a smoke card will cancel it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raintree wrote:
13.23. Smoke does not prevent a Terrain card from being played on a previously placed Movement card, it merely adds to the defensive value of the last played Terrain card beneath it in that group.

I have trouble understanding the above rule. I thought only open ground can be played beneath a smoke card and any terrain played above a smoke card will cancel it?

All it's saying is that the existence of smoke does not prevent playing a new terrain card (which as you say would discard the smoke beneath it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carr
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
raintree wrote:

All it's saying is that the existence of smoke does not prevent playing a new terrain card (which as you say would discard the smoke beneath it).

But if it discard the smoke beneath it, why would it adds to the defensive value of the last played terrain card?

And what is there to stop me from moving range 0 to range 5 in the cover of smoke simply by playing move, open ground, move, open ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't. The first part of that rule isn't saying the smoke remains after the terrain is placed.

And part of your question you're thinking of wire. If you're moving and a wire is placed on you the only way to stop moving is with an open terrain card (which doesn't remove the wire)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raintree wrote:

The rule says two things:
1. Smoke does not prevent a Terrain card from being played on a previously placed Movement card. For example, you could place Smoke, then move and then could place terrain. Smoke does not prevent being able to place terrain.

2. Smoke adds to the defensive value of the last played Terrain card beneath it in that group. So, the presence of Smoke provides a defensive benefit. I don't like the way this part of the rule is worded though. If I place two Movement cards in a row, then the defensive value of the terrain beneath those two cards is no longer applied. But the Smoke benefit is still applied. Or have I been playing that wrong all these years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raintree wrote:
But if it discard the smoke beneath it, why would it adds to the defensive value of the last played terrain card?

And what is there to stop me from moving range 0 to range 5 in the cover of smoke simply by playing move, open ground, move, open ground.

I think you have a bit of a misunderstanding here - new cards aren't played or discarded beneath smoke cards which are already on the table. A terrain card played on a group which has smoke present is played above the smoke, and immediately gets rid of the smoke cards. You can't play a card beneath a smoke card which is already present on the table.

To move from 0 to 5 under cover of a single smoke card as you describe in the second paragraph therefore isn't possible.

raintree wrote:

Referring to 'the last played terrain card beneath it' does not mean you can play a terrain card beneath previously placed smoke. It just refers to terrain cards which were present before the smoke card was played. I think this is the crux of your misunderstanding here.

Regarding 'only open ground can be played beneath a terrain card'. Any terrain card can be played on top of a smoke card, providing there is a movement card already present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carr
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I understand. Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
If I place two Movement cards in a row, then the defensive value of the terrain beneath those two cards is no longer applied. But the Smoke benefit is still applied. Or have I been playing that wrong all these years?

Wrong I believe. Pretty certain 2 movement cards played in ANY manner removes smoke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
arjisme wrote:
If I place two Movement cards in a row, then the defensive value of the terrain beneath those two cards is no longer applied. But the Smoke benefit is still applied. Or have I been playing that wrong all these years?

Wrong I believe. Pretty certain 2 movement cards played in ANY manner removes smoke.

Actually, after posting that I went to my rules and reviewed what it said for Smoke. Smoke is removed whenever two Movement cards are played on top of the Smoke card and remain in play there at the end of the player turn. But you could already have two Movement cards in play and then play Smoke on top of them, so that is a case where two movement cards and a smoke card are all in play at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.