6 Posts

MERCS: Recon – Counter Threat» Forums » General

Subject: MERCS vs. MERCS Recon: what's the difference? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hot Rod
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm fairly certain I'm backing this at the $200. As a result, I've become interested in the table top game. I have some questions.

Should I invest in the table top game now, or wait until Recon releases? I'm curious if the recon minis are essentially the current faction minis for the TT game, just in plastic, which I prefer. Seems like all I would need is the cards and I could use these minis to run the TT game.

That's my next question. The $200 level throws in the updated rule book. Again, invest in the current game, or wait?

Finally, if there is a reason to invest in the current table top game now, which factions would you recommend? I'd likely be buying two sets, and looking for two that compliment each other (read: fun to play against each other and fairly balanced against each other). Personally, I love the them for USCR and Texico, but they may not be my best starting point if they're the only sets I buy. Along this train of though, if I invest in two starters, is it worth picking up the current rules book, or waiting. I don't mind it being obsolete in a few months, if I'm playing, I'm just wondering if I can get by with the quickstart rules, and if the advanced rules are included in the quickstart rules (I'm guessing not).

I'll repost this on MERCS page, just to cover my bases. Thanks in advance for any advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
lol nvm my previous post.

Ok tbh I would suggest going for the 200$ pledge, it is the cheapest of them all and the current kits are 1.0, while this is a 2.0 version and you already get 4 factions in that pledge level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
The rulebook and cards you will get with the Kickstarter are version 2, so personally I would wait. Otherwise you'll just end up having to buy version 2 cards for the teams you already have. Plus, if you prefer plastic then there's no way you should get them now in metal when they're more expensive. The Kickstarter will tool them all in plastic.

On top of all that they will be cheaper to get the teams during the Kickstarter, even the add-on ones, than they will be at retail, plus they come packaged with all the Recon expansion stuff too.

For me, unless you particularly want metal, there is no better way to get into the Mercs game than this Kickstarter.

If you have spare money to start investing in Mercs immediately, on top of the Kickstarter, then why not start looking around for some good scenery to use in the game? That would seem like a cool option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hot Rod
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the helpful insight. Pretty much confirmed what I already thought.

I think I'll be picking up a first edition book, a few faction game decks, and just use minis from my vast collection instead of buying new ones. The main reason, is that I'm looking to play some minis, but I'm tired of games like 40K and Malifaux, where power-creep has become an issue for me. Those games started feeling more like collectible card games, where if you have the rarest/most expensive minis, you win, tactics be damned. Seems like MERCS found a way to sidestep this (no vehicle/cav/special (resin) units, etc). For about $50 I can can indulge now, and be happy when everything else comes later.

Thanks again!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is actually one of the most tactical TT games that I've played,.... It is very difficult to do well without good tactical movement.

If you like to camp and shoot,... Chances are that you will lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.