Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Rebel Aces pack has us all in kind of an euphoric stat, but I did find some headscratchers with the Pack.

Look at the pack content pick they posted:

There are a few things that are kind of a headscratcher for me:

1. No Torpedoes
There are a lot of Missile Slot upgrades, including the Chardaan Refit, but no Torpedoes. Even if I already have more than enough torp cards from my other sets, I still get an uneasy feeling for other players who might not have that many torpedoes themselves, that they cannot fully stock their B-Wing. Speaking of no Torpedoes:
2. No ion Cannon or Auto-Blaster either!
For the same reason like above, but this is actually hurtful. I really like the Auto-Blaster. And with Keyan Farlander's ability it will be even easier getting your B-Wing up close and personal to let it rip TIEs to shreds. If the cannons are in fact missing from this pack this is actually quite a big deal.
3. No EPTs
Another type of card seems to be missing: Elite Pilot Talents. I mean sure we surely all have enough to fill the void, but still. I find this somewhat unsettling.
4. Last and least important: They missed out on an obvious crew member choice.
Okay this is really just for those who are crazy EU savvy and like the thematic aspects of the game. The B-Wing/E variant (which the title for the B-Wing is that grants the B-Wing a crew member slot) was the craft Admiral Ackbars used as his personal military shuttle. He used it to get around the fleet. So why is there no trap-themed Ackbar crew card? I want my trap!
It could actually be that Ackbar is the PS5 Pilot though that would be strange, considering he used it as a shuttle, meaning he was ferried around in it.

So that is what's bothering me about this pack. Still gonna buy it, and only if to have a thematic Moldy Crow with both Katarn and Ors in either possible way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only see 2 Missile Slot upgrades, one of those being the Chardaan Refit. That means one missile (a proton missile?) and no torpedoes.

But yes, I was really hoping the Rebel Aces were just going to be A-Wings, since, well, I just barely bought my 4th B-Wing

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I only see 2 Missile Slot upgrades, one of those being the Chardaan Refit. That means one missile (a proton missile?) and no torpedoes.

But yes, I was really hoping the Rebel Aces were just going to be A-Wings, since, well, I just barely bought my 4th B-Wing

-shnar

Yeah I think that's definitely tthe Proton Missile from the X-Wing FlightSim up in the top row. Two times, too! And then there are the two Chardaan Refitcards and one flipped Missile upgrade. But no torps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Silver
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
C'mon You Loons!
badge
United FC! -----------The Team for Me! ---- Minnesota! ----------- L-O-V-E! -------------
mbmbmbmbmb
MOELANDER wrote:
And then there are the two Chardaan Refitcards and one flipped Missile upgrade. But no torps...

My first thought was that the flipped card might be a third Chardaan Refit, but now I realize it's more likely to be a simple Concussion Missle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
MOELANDER wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Yeah I think that's definitely tthe Proton Missile from the X-Wing FlightSim up in the top row. Two times, too! And then there are the two Chardaan Refitcards and one flipped Missile upgrade. But no torps...

Doesn't the card say Proton Rocket?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the value in having everything reprinted from the regular A-wing and B-wing expansions (e.g. missiles, torpedoes, ion cannon, etc). I already have that, and if I didn't have it and wanted it, I'd buy an A-wing or B-wing expansion instead (or in addition).

It is a bit strange not to see an EPT, though.

P.S. I expect we'll see Ackbar show up with a capital ship. In the movies, he was an Admiral after all, and only showed up on screen on a capital vessel.

P.P.S. If you need some Proton Torpedoes, I have 12 or so extra that you can have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Or A and Y.

Personally I'm glad they left out Proton Torpedos, I also have 8-12. I would have been OK had they had left out squad numbers and Target Lock tokens and shield tokens and evade tokens (I get why they didn't, so you could buy just the Base game and Rebel Aces and still play) but I'm running out of places to put mine, I'm going to need a storage container for just the extra tokens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can just see Ackbar's ability now:

"Before your opponent reveals a maneuver dial, yell "it's a trap" and roll an attack die. On a {hit} or {crit} result, your opponent may slap you in the mouth."

XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:
"Before your opponent reveals a maneuver dial, yell "it's a trap" and roll an attack die. On a {hit} or {crit} result, your opponent may slap you in the mouth."

... with a baited hook?

Wait, was that racist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. No Torpedoes
There are enough in the core set, which the packaging, no doubt, states is a requirement to play the game
2. No ion Cannon or Auto-Blaster either!
Sure, and if it came with advanced sensors, there'd be no need to buy shuttles... Besides, honestly, those are bad upgrades.
3. No EPTs
Also in the Core set if you really want them.

That all being said, they seem to only add a limited number of pilot-sized cards and upgrade-sized cards to an expansion. And this expansion has ALL new cards. Where is the room?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(The Ion Cannon is not a "bad upgrade." OTOH, the Autoblaster is in the top-three worst upgrades in the entire game, so it balances out.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:
(The Ion Cannon is not a "bad upgrade." OTOH, the Autoblaster is in the top-three worst upgrades in the entire game, so it balances out.)

Every ship, so far, that can take a Ion Cannon already rolls three dice. You are almost always better off saving 3 points in your build and just doing more damage.

If a ship comes along that has a weak attack rating, but can take a cannon, then the ion may not be such a points liability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:

I beg to differ. The AutoCannon is really good against high defense defenders (like Ints with Stealth Device)...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

I beg to differ. The AutoCannon is really good against high defense defenders (like Ints with Stealth Device)...

*shrug* The math is out there, if you want to look it up. Autoblaster is just about the worst 5 points you can spend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RecklessFable wrote:
Every ship, so far, that can take a Ion Cannon already rolls three dice. You are almost always better off saving 3 points in your build and just doing more damage.

... You really think that?

That's not even true if you could guarantee doing more damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ion Cannons: can be good at Range 2-3. They're cheap, and although you drop about 1/3 of your damage, your shot is at least as accurate and comes with a potentially spectacular control effect. (What's that, Mr PTL Interceptor? I can't hear you over the sound of you drifting slowly through space with no action.)

Autoblaster: unfortunately this one really is a bit marginal to me. Against ships with at least 2 Agility it does actually gain you some damage over your primary--or rather it forces your targets to use Evade in order to prevent a nasty hit. But it's not THAT much better than your primary attack, and it's 5 points. Not worth it IMO, but there's a bit of room for legitimate disagreement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
Ion Cannons: can be good at Range 2-3. They're cheap, and although you drop about 1/3 of your damage, your shot is at least as accurate and comes with a potentially spectacular control effect. (What's that, Mr PTL Interceptor? I can't hear you over the sound of you drifting slowly through space with no action.)

Autoblaster: unfortunately this one really is a bit marginal to me. Against ships with at least 2 Agility it does actually gain you some damage over your primary--or rather it forces your targets to use Evade in order to prevent a nasty hit. But it's not THAT much better than your primary attack, and it's 5 points. Not worth it IMO, but there's a bit of room for legitimate disagreement.

I agree on the Ion Cannon. Especially useful since it's a secondary weapon and thus not affected by the additional defense die. And knowing the target will fly a straight 1 the next turn is just oh so fun.

The Autoblaster gave me amazing results with Ibtisam with Advanced Sensors. SO I like it. I used it to great effect against my brothers 4 TIE 2 TIE Int Swarm. With Ibtisam's Reroll because of Stress and a focus token, I shot down three TIE's in the first 5 turns, because he focused on my Chewbacca Falcon. So I just loooove the AutoBlaster.

And with Keyan Farlander, who can shed his stress every round and thus make the red maneuvers every round (somewhat turning them into whites) the Autoblaster will be even deadlier in my opinion! I have to try this tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.