Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
54 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » AWOL

Subject: Iranian Nimitz class mock-up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/21/world/middleeast/a-ship-be...

No reason we wargamers shouldn't join in the fun of speculating what this is all about.....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Assault training?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
Assault training?


Maybe, but then you'd want a full-scale mockup of the critical parts rather than a 3/4 scale version of the whole thing.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
a propaganda piñata, period
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/21/world/middleeast/a-ship-be...

No reason we wargamers shouldn't join in the fun of speculating what this is all about.....


Maybe the Iranian movie industry is getting ready to film a remake of "The Final Countdown".
36 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
27° 3'16.48 N 55°58'23.45 E

Bing and Google sat images aren't up to date.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an Iranian Ministry of Tourism project to offer Wargamer Holiday Cruises

The deck has plenty of space for games of Case Blue, which is conclusive evidence of this theory imho
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
desertfox2004 wrote:
blockhead wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/21/world/middleeast/a-ship-be...

No reason we wargamers shouldn't join in the fun of speculating what this is all about.....


Maybe the Iranian movie industry is getting ready to film a remake of "The Final Countdown".


That was my thought as well when I first heard this.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
blockhead wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/21/world/middleeast/a-ship-be...

No reason we wargamers shouldn't join in the fun of speculating what this is all about.....


Maybe the Iranian movie industry is getting ready to film a remake of "The Final Countdown".
Or it is indeed the actual carrier from the future and the Americans are trying to hide the fact while negotiating for the hostages who are in fact their future children or grandchildren with iPad 20 or something! wow
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking miniatures to the next level.
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe you guys didn't get this - it's gonna be the coolest game of miniatures ever!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooped by Hunga.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hinrichs
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Assault training for 3/4 scale soldiers? (4'-3"?)
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
27° 3'16.48 N 55°58'23.45 E

Bing and Google sat images aren't up to date.


How the heck did you find the location?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Taking miniatures to the next level.


That's a great idea! Build a whole fleet of these ship-barges, tow them out into the gulf and get everybody used to the idea that they're just a large scale miniatures game being played in real time.

But really these are Trojan horses! Concealing whole squadrons of suicide speedboats which will suddenly emerge and attack the complacent US 5th fleet!

Yes, it is a good thing I'm here to warn the Navy of this threat.

Hmm, maybe we should keep it quiet that we know about this until the Iranians have finished wasting a lot of money on this scheme...
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
It's an Iranian Ministry of Tourism project to offer Wargamer Holiday Cruises

The deck has plenty of space for games a game of Case Blue, which is conclusive evidence of this theory imho


FIFY
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Iranian mock-up...is about two-thirds the length of a typical 1,100-foot-long Navy carrier.

If that's the size of a single piece, I'd hate to see the size of the game map. My only question is: paper or mounted?

Edit: typo
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
Toadkillerdog wrote:
27° 3'16.48 N 55°58'23.45 E

Bing and Google sat images aren't up to date.


How the heck did you find the location?


Imagery analysis. :-)

Edit: Follow-up. Gachin in the area immediately SW of Bandar Abbas. Look for the nearest harbor/ship facilities. Cross-reference building positions on the image provided in the NY Times article (particularly those near the top right) and the white markings in the street corner.
11 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like Iran is finally coming around to creating a gaming table big enough to fit the Case Blue maps.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they like building models. Many people do.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Casillo
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milhouse917 wrote:
Quote:
The Iranian mock-up...is about two-thirds the length of a typical 1,100-foot-long Navy carrier.

If that's the size of a single piece, I'd hate to see the size of the game map. My only question is: paper our mounted?

You're gonna need a bigger plexiglass.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's a response to

http://jalopnik.com/china-built-a-nimitz-class-aircraft-carr...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:


As much as these countries may hate America, they still model their toys off of actual American products.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:

Imagery analysis. :-)

Edit: Follow-up. Gachin in the area immediately SW of Bandar Abbas. Look for the nearest harbor/ship facilities. Cross-reference building positions on the image provided in the NY Times article (particularly those near the top right) and the white markings in the street corner.


OK, that's really cool. I searched for Gachin, scrolled out to the coast and scrolled around until I found it too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H
United Kingdom
York
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinboy24 wrote:
blockhead wrote:


As much as these countries may hate America, they still model their toys off of actual American products.

I think you'll find that the majority of the people in both of these countries do not hate America.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.