Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » News

Subject: More news from GTS? I'm dying over here. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to the Solosaurus Podcast on iTunes, Google Play, and YouTube!
Avatar
mbmbmb
After seeing some of the The Dice Tower's tweets this week, it looks like Arcane Wonders has announced a ridiculous amount of new goodies for Mage Wars, including another big expansion (Paladin VS Siren), a modular board, scenarios, alternate versions of the Forcemaster and Wizard, and the inclusion of an "arch-mage" (which would allow for all VS 1 and cooperative play).


I'm pretty much beside myself with excitement. However, I still don't see any sort of official announcement on the AW website. Does anyone else have more information about these yet? I'm dying to find out more about the arch-mage in particular.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W McG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard someone say something about a 'mage wars academy' or something? An introduction for kids into Mage Wars?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to the Solosaurus Podcast on iTunes, Google Play, and YouTube!
Avatar
mbmbmb
New_Sheriff wrote:
I heard someone say something about a 'mage wars academy' or something? An introduction for kids into Mage Wars?


Ah yes, thank you! I forgot to add that to the original post. Apparently, that will include "younger versions of classic mages, new spells compatible with the base game," according to TDT. As for the scenario pack, apparently that's going to enable "capture the flag, dungeon delve, etc."

My poor wallet.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
br4nmuff1n wrote:
New_Sheriff wrote:
I heard someone say something about a 'mage wars academy' or something? An introduction for kids into Mage Wars?


Ah yes, thank you! I forgot to add that to the original post. Apparently, that will include "younger versions of classic mages, new spells compatible with the base game," according to TDT. As for the scenario pack, apparently that's going to enable "capture the flag, dungeon delve, etc."

My poor wallet.


I love the ambition... if they pull it off we might be seeing something quite special. Fingers crossed.

If it takes off, I wonder if we'll also see tweaked, reprinted old cards, to bring them in line with emerging game mechanics, lessons learned.

Glad I got into this game!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to the Solosaurus Podcast on iTunes, Google Play, and YouTube!
Avatar
mbmbmb
New_Sheriff wrote:
I love the ambition... if they pull it off we might be seeing something quite special. Fingers crossed.

If it takes off, I wonder if we'll also see tweaked, reprinted old cards, to bring them in line with emerging game mechanics, lessons learned.

Glad I got into this game!


Ambition is definitely the right word. I would have been over the moon if they had just announced more mages, cards, etc. But introducing radically different mechanics into an already well-established game? That's gutsy. And when you consider how well they've done so far, it's also very promising.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prince AJ
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are going to intro different game modes, I'd like them to introduce some kind of quick mode. Smaller map, less life, more chanelling. Perhaps the kids game will be this and I may find myself trying to get people to play that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FaceBreaker wrote:
If they are going to intro different game modes, I'd like them to introduce some kind of quick mode. Smaller map, less life, more chanelling. Perhaps the kids game will be this and I may find myself trying to get people to play that.


Why not use the current Apprentice Mode for quick mode?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C Connor Jr
United States
Jamestown
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Check out the GAMA Trade Show Recap from Vice President for Business Development, Scott Morris here.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Really glad to hear everyone is interested in all the new items!

To recap what we announced at GAMA last week:

Forged in Fire: Spell Tome Expansion - June 2014
- This will include a new Alternate Warlock and Alternate Warlord

Paladin vs. Siren Expansion Set - "Later this year"
- This will include the all new Paladin and Siren mages

Mage Wars Comic Books are coming from Dynamite Entertainment!

Modular Board with a unique Sceanrio rule set - Released at Gen Con
- This will include a unique scenario based rule set that players can choose to use in the original Arena layout or with the new modular board system.

Mage Wars: Academy - "Later this year"
- This will offer a streamlined 2 player starting set for new players to more easily enter the Arena and provide new cards for experienced players to add to their collections and utilize in their battles as well!

Archmage Expansion Set - Released "within the next year"
- This will include dynamic new gameplay allowing for co-op vs the Archmage or an actual player taking on the role of the Archmage in a 1 vs many battle!

Oh yeah... and... Minis! (Release date TBD, but they are on our list and are in motion!)

In addition to all that Mage Wars awesomeness, we also announced a new game called "The Sheriff of Nottingham" that will be part of a new line of games called the "Dice Tower Essentials". The Sheriff is slated for a Gen Con release as well, and will provide a family friendly game in the Robin Hood universe with the twist that each player will get a chance to play in the role of the Sheriff of Nottingham!

Hope that helps in terms of information, but if anyone has questions, fire away, I'd be happy to help answer all I can

16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on introducing frost damage into the game? It's such a bizarre feature right now - all those frost-related cards with no effect.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frost is something I'm working on right now, and as soon as I can I plan on letting everyone know when to expect Frost.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lynch
United States
Brooklawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cropcircles wrote:
Frost is something I'm working on right now, and as soon as I can I plan on letting everyone know when to expect Frost.


That's cool.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toxziq wrote:

In addition to all that Mage Wars awesomeness, we also announced a new game called "The Sheriff of Nottingham" that will be part of a new line of games called the "Dice Tower Essentials". The Sheriff is slated for a Gen Con release as well, and will provide a family friendly game in the Robin Hood universe with the twist that each player will get a chance to play in the role of the Sheriff of Nottingham!

Hope that helps in terms of information, but if anyone has questions, fire away, I'd be happy to help answer all I can



So can I safely assume this the remake of this game: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/104640/robin-hood ?

Please tell me you are staying with the Robin Hood theme.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
Toxziq wrote:

In addition to all that Mage Wars awesomeness, we also announced a new game called "The Sheriff of Nottingham" that will be part of a new line of games called the "Dice Tower Essentials". The Sheriff is slated for a Gen Con release as well, and will provide a family friendly game in the Robin Hood universe with the twist that each player will get a chance to play in the role of the Sheriff of Nottingham!

Hope that helps in terms of information, but if anyone has questions, fire away, I'd be happy to help answer all I can



So can I safely assume this the remake of this game: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/104640/robin-hood ?

Please tell me you are staying with the Robin Hood theme.


Correct, and yes. We feel it's a great theme and the twist of player's getting a chance to be the Sheriff will provide a new experience in the universe that's fun for all!

2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to the Solosaurus Podcast on iTunes, Google Play, and YouTube!
Avatar
mbmbmb
Toxziq wrote:
Really glad to hear everyone is interested in all the new items!

To recap what we announced at GAMA last week:

Forged in Fire: Spell Tome Expansion - June 2014
- This will include a new Alternate Warlock and Alternate Warlord

Paladin vs. Siren Expansion Set - "Later this year"
- This will include the all new Paladin and Siren mages

Mage Wars Comic Books are coming from Dynamite Entertainment!

Modular Board with a unique Sceanrio rule set - Released at Gen Con
- This will include a unique scenario based rule set that players can choose to use in the original Arena layout or with the new modular board system.

Mage Wars: Academy - "Later this year"
- This will offer a streamlined 2 player starting set for new players to more easily enter the Arena and provide new cards for experienced players to add to their collections and utilize in their battles as well!

Archmage Expansion Set - Released "within the next year"
- This will include dynamic new gameplay allowing for co-op vs the Archmage or an actual player taking on the role of the Archmage in a 1 vs many battle!

Oh yeah... and... Minis! (Release date TBD, but they are on our list and are in motion!)

In addition to all that Mage Wars awesomeness, we also announced a new game called "The Sheriff of Nottingham" that will be part of a new line of games called the "Dice Tower Essentials". The Sheriff is slated for a Gen Con release as well, and will provide a family friendly game in the Robin Hood universe with the twist that each player will get a chance to play in the role of the Sheriff of Nottingham!

Hope that helps in terms of information, but if anyone has questions, fire away, I'd be happy to help answer all I can



Any idea if the addition of co-op will open the door for solo play, too?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toxziq wrote:


Correct, and yes. We feel it's a great theme and the twist of player's getting a chance to be the Sheriff will provide a new experience in the universe that's fun for all!



It's my understanding everyone got to play the sheriff in the previous Robin Hood themed game as well. Or are you suggesting that it no longer works this way?

Also if it has changed, will you still be able to play by the "original" Robin Hood rules or have the components changed significantly?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.